Bundeswehr Leopard 1 - COMPLETED and in the gallery...

nickhenfrey

1 hour ago, nickhenfrey said:

Take your time, think hard, can you see what your first mistake was in this reply?

Okay. I admit it might have sounded wrong there.

I am genuinely sorry, I did not want to sound rude there. I'll edit the offending post and wont reply to the topic anymore in such form.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Okay. I admit it might have sounded wrong there.

I am genuinely sorry, I did not want to sound rude there. I'll happily remove the offending post and wont reply to the topic anymore.

Casey, thanks, no need to remove the post, there was some very interesting stuff in there, and I would like to try your gelboliv mix one day, and would always appreciate your comments...

• Like 1

10/7 update

OK, so I've added the smoke dispensers, various handles (some original kit parts, some 0.5mm styrene rod bent to shape - needs to be heated or it snaps), painted up the road wheels, added the headlamps, bit more wear with ipa on the exposed parts, added the canvas? Part on the upper part of the gun, decided to dry brush a bit of metal to emphasise a bit more metal work, touched up various parts, and we here we are ready to spray Klear (pretty generously because I'm not bothered about a clean finish) prior to decalling

Then it will be

1. More Klear
  2. Rust - mild
  3. Water staining
  4. Add all the bits still not on
  5. Light mud
  6. Matt varnish
  7. Oh, and tracks

DSC03165

DSC03164

DSC03163

DSC03168

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She's looking really good Nick

Thanks Craig!

I'm not looking forward to fitting the tracks, it's great that they're ready made, but I can't really see how to get them to flex around the front roller and the sprocket, perhaps a bit of heat to shape them?

The mud is the next opportunity to make a complete mess (pun intended). I figure if I seal it with Klear then I can always wash it offand start again. I'm going for a dirty, worn effect, but not like it's just driven through a swamp, so a fair amount of ingrained mud, but not loads splashed over, we'll see how it works out!

• Like 1

11/7 update

Just before spraying Klear, I remembered Frank Lobnitz saying the Gelboliv fades to a grey over time (presumably because of the Sun's uv) so I misted a very light mist of grey downward randomly over the upper sides of the hull and turret

So this is it now, final picture before Klear, decals, rust, rain (might actually leave it out in the rain) and restrained mud:

DSC03175

• Like 2

12/7 update

Rust!!!!

Sprayed the Klear

Then thought I'd finish the tracks with the rubber pads and some rust…

For rust I used some of the cheapo acrylic colours I bought in a set for a fiver one Christmas:

Yellow ochre - 2 dollops

Orange - 2 dollops

Vermillion - 1 dollop

Raw Sienna - 1 dollop

I didn't mix them, put the dollops all in one little capsule, then just dobbed the brush into the mass, coming up each time with a random mix

IMG_3811

And now, the obligatory tracks' shots:

IMG_3812

IMG_3797

While I was at it I thought I'd attack the wheels, hull and turret with rust on the fittings. I think it's overdone, so will tone it back a bit, but actually pleasantly surprised with the effect:

IMG_3798 IMG_3799

IMG_3800

IMG_3801

IMG_3802

IMG_3803

IMG_3804

IMG_3807

IMG_3808

IMG_3810

Oh, and ran a little over the pioneer tools that I've been working on in the background:

IMG_3805

IMG_3806

So that's the end of this rusty update, decals next (how many times have I said that already?)

• Like 7

13/7 update

So decals are on! They were pretty yellow, but made by Cartograf. They could be forty years old, but went on fine

I used water 30 seconds, decalfix 10 seconds, which worked fine, except one that I left too long in the decalfix, and disintegrated as I tried to move it, looks like a new cross needed from somewhere 😞

I toned down the existing rust a tad, and added more very light rust in places, e.g. sprockets, tow hooks, looks better now I think

IMG_3815

IMG_3814

IMG_3813

Thinking options for replacing decal:

Steal one from Meng kit

Scan Meng decal print my one on decal paper

Try and cut a mask and paint it on

Stay tuned…

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Looking really nice! love the rusty and well used look of the leo

Thanks Mippie!

Yeah, I'm really liking the rust, I even went over a lot of joins on the rear plate with a diluted mix and that's come out well

I'm aiming to make the mud quite restrained and subtle, think that with a coat of Matt varnish will give a nice look...

• Like 1

On 19/07/2023 at 15:59, SoftScience said:

How well is your paint sticking to those vinyl tracks? That's always a point of anxiety for me. 

well pretty well so far, but I haven't tried doing anything with them yet!!!!!

How do people bend them around them around the sprocket and front upper wheel? I'm thinking heat, perhaps that will help keep the paint on 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickhenfrey said:

well pretty well so far, but I haven't tried doing anything with them yet!!!!!

How do people bend them around them around the sprocket and front upper wheel? I'm thinking heat, perhaps that will help keep the paint on 🙂

Good question with the tracks John, interested to see what the GB hive mind comes up with.

🇺🇦

26/7 update

Well, I could have bought a set of decals for around £8, but since the kit only cost £12.99 I decided that was extravagant

So I wasted about two weeks instead...

I started by taking a copy of the Meng decal sheet and copying to Drawplus. This proved tricky because I needed to have a gelboliv background, with the cross on top, it was that or cut exactly round the cross. This meant isolating the cross from the background but there wasn't enough contrast to do this. Eventually I printed the cross on the gelboliv background, but that came out bluey green on the jetcal. After checking on ordinary paper I printed multiple copies with various amounts of added red, until I got the right colour. The jetcal want on all right but the edges were visible and the black and white were very faded. After applying loads of decalfix and letting set I gently sanded the edges but they were still visible. I then masked the white to spray some black, and when I removed the mask half the decal came off. Removing the rest was very tricky and then I had to make good. Aaaagh

I then photographed the other decal

IMG_3819

Broke it down into lines and circles in silhouette studio and cut some masks and sprayed it, not perfect but OK I think

IMG_3820

IMG_3821

Finally….

Klear

I tried to get a track on for testing and think it will be ok

IMG_3833

IMG_3832

Then onto water staining

I put the tank over a contained, mixed a little detergent and some light grey acrylic with loads of water and poured it slowly over

IMG_3827

IMG_3828

IMG_3829

I brushed most of it off, let it dried and then added a few streaks, and we have water marks

IMG_3830

IMG_3831

Oh and the final version of the cross with water marks

IMG_3834

Few more bits to add, then mud

• Like 4