LF Models 1/72 Hiller OH-23G Raven

Another early Viet Nam era Aeroscout helicopter. This is the LF Models 1/72 Hiller OH-23G Raven. The raven was primarily a training and observation helicopter but in Viet Nam it served, along with the OH-13, with the Aeroscouts before they were both replaced by the OH-6A Cayuse. 

This is a typical limited run product with all the foibles of the breed. Having said that it was a mostly pleasant 8 day build. 2 areas gave me  the most trouble. First was joining the tail boom to the fuselage. Both pieces are hollow tubes that are butt joined. I first used liquid cement but they broke apart during handling. Then I tried Pacer Zap but they broke again. Next I tried 5 minute epoxy with the same results. Finally I inserted a .062" (1.6mm) evergreen rod into a .093 (2.4mm) tube and stuck the rod into the tail boom and the tube into the fuselage and that held. The other problem area was getting the engine, which was a separate assembly, and the engine mounts to all  fit together when there was no indication of exactly where the engine should be placed. The bubble transparency came as 2 parts joined horizontally at a frame line. The 2 pieces and then the whole bubble fit surprising well together and then to the cabin. The kit decals were printed with an Alps type printer onto a continuous decal film so they required careful trimming. Because of that I used the stars & bars from a Fantasy Printshop sheet. Other then that they worked with with no silvering. All paints were AK Real color. 

I also have their OH-23B that I will be building later in the years as a trainer.

trsvm2yj_o.jpg

Fd83fr5p_o.jpg

RKNYY1Dd_o.jpg

oNglPCOg_o.jpg

q5P2rlwl_o.jpg

O0fRjzlv_o.jpg

Next up will be a Bell OH-58D with the latest upgrades. I was originally going to build this using the Matchbox/Revell OH-58D as the base kit and the Procal Decal update but that didn't get very far and this time  I will be using the Italeri kit as the starting point.

Enjoy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Hello

I have known this bird but I did not know the kit. You built her nicely even if I can say that the transparencies are not so clear. Anyway I cannot see how to improve that.

Congratulations.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

the transparencies are not so clear

I coated them with future both inside and out. They actually look clearer in person then in the photograph. 

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VG 33 said:

I have looked around and there is an earlier version from LF with French roundels...

I think the only difference will be the shape of the bubble canopy. I have one of those boxings and will be using it to make a OH-23B trainer

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

Nice looking build!

I have the Special Hobby 1/72 Hiller Uh-12, I really need to get around and build it...

Same here!

Somehow the Special Hobby Hiller doesn's seem that complicated compared to the LF models. I built Special Hobby's TH-55/ H300 some years ago and it went together surprisingly well.

Btw HSR: beautiful build!

Edited by GeejeeZ
typo
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GeejeeZ said:

I built Special Hobby's TH-55/ H300 some years ago and it went together surprisingly well.

I'll be starting on that in a couple of weeks. I hope it goes together well. I go one with a vac bubble that hasn't yellowed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...