Spitfire Mk. Vb, 1/72, Italeri. American/Polish volunteers

• Touvdal changed the title to Spitfire Mk. Vb, 1/72, Italeri. American/Polish volunteers

Beautiful collection of Spitfires flown by volunteers!

The subject of Spitfire external antennas is a tangled story. To cut it short (which you might consider 😉), Mark V:s didn't carry wire aerials. The HF radios were exchanged to VHF radiosets in the autumn of 1940. The appurtenant short aerials were integral to the original antenna masts, which most often were robbed of their original triangular attachment prong. Sorry to say, you stretched that sprue in vain…

But the models themselves really look excellent!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That's a fantastic collection, a very striking lineup. I'm in the middle of Zumbach's Vb EN951 myself (this had been flown previously by an American in No. 133 Squadron as it happens), and in the early stages of a IIa of No. 71 Squadron, also flown by an American. These volunteers from overseas certainly added colour to the RAF.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful collection of Spitfires flown by volunteers!

The subject of Spitfire external antennas is a tangled story. To cut it short (which you might consider 😉), Mark V:s didn't carry wire aerials. The HF radios were exchanged to VHF radiosets in the autumn of 1940. The appurtenant short aerials were integral to the original antenna masts, which most often were robbed of their original triangular attachment prong. Sorry to say, you stretched that sprue in vain…

But the models themselves really look excellent!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for info, checked my ref. book Spitfires from SAM Pub. can see i made an error here, but easy to correct . 😎

Cheers

Jes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Touvdal said:

Just completet this row Spit's, build out of box with aftermarked decals from Aviaeology and Techmod.

20230104_145934

20230104_145854

20230104_145836

20230104_145812

20230104_145736

20230104_145659

Cheers

Jes

Nice collection.

Alain

• Like 1

I am struggling to complete just one little Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire and cannot get it finished to save my soul.  You have done five of them and to such a high quality of fit and finish.  It is a pleasure to look at each individual aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A very beautiful Mk V collection! Assembling the fuselage of the Italeri kit takes a lot of care and patience. You mastered this perfectly on each of these aircraft.

You are right, the way they have made the fuselage in 4 parts is a pain, makes the assemply process so much more complicated, 2 piece fuselage will always be best.

Cheers

Jes