multi-national civilian figures in 1:35 scale?

bootneck

I have been searching for 1:35 scale figures from different ethnic backgrounds for an 1960's era Far East diorama with civilians but have been unlucky so far.  Can anyone advise me of a source for Malays, Indians and Sikhs etc., both male and female?

cheers,
Mike

Edited by bootneck
additional info to show this is for a civilian 1960s Far East theme

Yes, I'm looking at some of those now.  I would have to shorten the figures, plus the clothing is heavier than those worn in the sweltering tropics that the Malays lived in.  My diorama is based on a 1:35 scale street scene in Singapore or Malaysia, at a time that I was based out there.  The only typical figure that I have found, so far, is a little Vietnamese girl in the Masterbox [MB3599] Patroling set.  I have already found the subject to be very complex, mainly as there are very few British car kits available in that scale, plus I'm struggling with identifying the dimensions for the shops with colinnades that were a typical sight out there.   So, the figurines are becoming the least of my concerns.

After over sixty years of building military, green, sand, green/sand or white; plus having served for twenty of them; I just want to build a diorama that is non-agressive, colourful and ultimately interesting.  Some ideas that I have found are here;  or this one; there were many colourful buildings, then there's the vehicles!  I may find the odd car, such as the Airfix 1:32 Triumph Herald etc., but finding scooters or bicycles for that era seem non-existent.

I like a challenge   BUT....... :rage:

cheers,

Mike

I had similar challenge finding African figures for my Rhodesian layout. For asian ladies try searching 'vietnam 1/35 ladies'

Bicycles - I used Tamiya German bikes. Remember bikes in Singapore and Malaysia had registration plates.

For scooters there were older 1/32 or 1/35th diecast Vespa looking scooters but I just looked but can't google them at the moment.  EDIT.  I found them on eBayhttps://www.ebay.com/b/Vespa-1-32-Scale-Diecast-Motorcycles-ATVs/180276/bn_68321333

I did find these Diopak in 1/35th, perhaps a bit modern but may be all you can get if your'e not happy with 1/32nd https://www.scalemates.com/kits/diopark-dp35008-civilian-motorcycle-125-primavera--171749

Again there used to be 1/35 model of Vespa(?) 3 wheel tok tok I recall as a child being in Singapore in the 1000's especially the Magnolia icecream man.

52249038954_4ba7bf6d07_c.jpg1604997F-0A2B-43A5-B7FA-5EB5F029273F by tankienz, on Flickr

I also recall the tricycle bikes.

52248751916_8285bbd798_b.jpgE8C9D35A-C86F-4218-A920-6A15B40851DB_4_5005_c by tankienz, on Flickr

Here is one of the larger engine powered trikes https://www.scalemates.com/kits/arii-31063-55-daihatsu-cm10t-roof-type--1144668

I hope this helps.

Edited by dcrfan
  • Thanks 1

I remember the Maggi-men very much, some with tuc-tucs and others, mostly out of town, on bicycles. You always knew where they were, with their little bicycle bells ringing and their calling " Maggie".

I do have both the Arii kits of the Tuc-Tuc and the large engined trike, but no orientals to stand with them.

spacer.png

I'm sure that I can concoct a scrapbuild of that tricyle, it could be a nice little addition!

Thanks for the tip about the Singapore bike registrations, I shall store that ready for my build.  As to the 1:35 Diopark stuff, I do like those scooters but can't seem to find any Diopark kits anywhere.   I may have to go with those ebay scooters, thanks for the links.

I wonder how modellers in the Far East manage to make their 'local' dioramas, if they can't even get figures to represent their nationals?  When I lived in Malaysia and Singapore, there were many nationalities living there, including Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Sikh, and Indonesian people; plus, of course the Malays and Singaporeans.  But no models seem to exist in 1:35 to make up a decent diorama.

EDIT:  just looking through your photostream what vehicle is that NAAFI wagon?

cheers,

Mike

Ah! another vehicle that there isn't a kit of in 1:35 scale.  I doubt it there's anything similar that I could convert.

cheers,
Mike

Take a look at the Fields of Glory website.
Try searching for Vietnam or Vietnamese (or a more creative search).

You'll have to scroll past a lot of US Vietnam stuff, but there may be appropriate figures or back-ground/scenic stuff there too.

Hello Robert,

I had already checked out the mainstream kit producers and, as would be expected with FoG, everything is military stuff.

cheers,
Mike

• bootneck changed the title to multi-national civilian figures in 1:35 scale?