Sukhoi Su-30SM Kazakhstan airforce

On 5/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, Linden Hill said:

At this stage I believe only Red 09 has the 'Zhetysu Snow Leopards' emblems. Unfortunately the instructions in the new GWH Su-30SM kit show the badge on the speed brake upside down.

Please tell me it's in 72nd.  I bought a Trumpeter SU-30MMK (I think that's what it is), but it doesn't have the canards and is only used by the PLAAF, and I don't do their stuff.

Later,

Dave

1 hour ago, e8n2 said:

Please tell me it's in 72nd.  I bought a Trumpeter SU-30MMK (I think that's what it is), but it doesn't have the canards and is only used by the PLAAF, and I don't do their stuff.

Later,

Dave

Sorry but the GWH Su-30SM is currently only in 1/48 but I have no doubt they will shrink it down to 1/72 at some point.

Your Trumpeter Su-30MMK can be made into something other than than a Chinese aircraft. The MK denotes it is for the Chinese but India, Russia, Venezuela, Malaysia to name a few also operate versions of the Su-30M. I don't think any equipment differences will be noticeable in 1/72 scale.

Duncan B

• Confused 1

From what I know there isn't a Sukhoi Su-30MMK.The Sukhoi Su-30MK are the Export versions of the Su-30 and are as follows.Sukhoi Su-30MKK for China,Sukhoi Su-30MK1 China,Lybia and Uganda,Sukhoi Su-30MKV Venezuela,Su-30MK2V for Vietnam,Su-30MKI for India,Sukhoi Su-30MKA Algeria and the Sukhoi Su-30MKM Malaysia.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Thanks 1

be careful, 

9 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Your Trumpeter Su-30MMK can be made into something other than than a Chinese aircraft. The MK denotes it is for the Chinese but India, Russia, Venezuela, Malaysia to name a few also operate versions of the Su-30M. I don't think any equipment differences will be noticeable in 1/72 scale.

Duncan B

16 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

From what I know there isn't a Sukhoi Su-30MMK.The Sukhoi Su-30MK are the Export versions of the Su-30 and are as follows.Sukhoi Su-30MKK for China,Sukhoi Su-30MK1 China,Lybia and Uganda,Sukhoi Su-30MKV Venezuela,Su-30MK2V for Vietnam

it cannot be converted into a SM, as it does not have canards, as well as trust vectoring nozzles!

,Su-30MKI for India,Sukhoi Su-30MKA Algeria and the Sukhoi Su-30MKM Malaysia and the said Su-30SM are all canard equipped!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

From what I know there isn't a Sukhoi Su-30MMK.The Sukhoi Su-30MK are the Export versions of the Su-30 and are as follows.Sukhoi Su-30MKK for China,Sukhoi Su-30MK1 China,Lybia and Uganda,Sukhoi Su-30MKV Venezuela,Su-30MK2V for Vietnam,Su-30MKI for India,Sukhoi Su-30MKA Algeria and the Sukhoi Su-30MKM Malaysia.

Saluti

Giampiero

And don't forget that the Russian Air Force has also a small number of canardless and "high tail" Su-30MK2.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I've checked Hannants and Sprue Brothers and neither have the Zvedza Su-30 SM.  I can always do the SU-30MKK as a WIF.  Hmmmmm, captured one in Republic of China (Taiwan) markings.  That's an idea!

Later,

Dave

16 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I've checked Hannants and Sprue Brothers and neither have the Zvedza Su-30 SM.  I can always do the SU-30MKK as a WIF.  Hmmmmm, captured one in Republic of China (Taiwan) markings.  That's an idea!

Later,

Dave

they are out there....

e.g. https://www.amazon.de/Zvezda-7314-500787314-1-SM-Plastikbausatz-Modellbausatz-Zusammenbauen-Bausatz-für-Einsteiger-detailliert/dp/B07NVBDG99/ref=sr_1_22?

I'll have to check the U.S. Amazon.  Thanks for the info.

Later,

Dave

On 5/12/2022 at 1:13 PM, CharlieGolf2009 said:

And don't forget that the Russian Air Force has also a small number of canardless and "high tail" Su-30MK2.

I don't normally build Soviet or Russian aircraft especially with what is going on right now.  With just a few exceptions I don't build WW II German aircraft in German markings either.  Ukrainian aircraft is a totally different situation.  I have a number of different decal sheets with Ukrainian markings besides other non-Soviet/Russian air forces.  The last Soviet marked aircraft model that I built was the A-Model Tu-28 Fiddler.  Lots and lots of puttying and sanding.  I also recently finished the Hasegawa boxed ICM MiG-31B of the Kazakhstan Air Defence Force.  Lousy kit and lousy instructions but I got her done.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

Just to add to my last, I also plan on building more Kazakh aircraft.  I have had a bunch of different size Kazakhstan ADF insignias made up on a decal sheet and will be doing at least one more MiG-31, the Zvedza kit not ICM, some Flankers, MiG-29s, MiG-27s, a UH-1H (Yes they have them, found pictures on line), an EC145 as soon as it is available again, Albatross, and anything else I can come up with!  

Later,

Dave

P.S. Why Kazakhstan so much you might ask?  KeshYou, Aldaspan, Made in KZ, etc.  Some good stuff out there musically even if you don't know the language.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Just to add to my last, I also plan on building more Kazakh aircraft.  I have had a bunch of different size Kazakhstan ADF insignias made up on a decal sheet and will be doing at least one more MiG-31, the Zvedza kit not ICM, some Flankers, MiG-29s, MiG-27s, a UH-1H (Yes they have them, found pictures on line), an EC145 as soon as it is available again, Albatross, and anything else I can come up with!  

Later,

Dave

P.S. Why Kazakhstan so much you might ask?  KeshYou, Aldaspan, Made in KZ, etc.  Some good stuff out there musically even if you don't know the language.   

What about the Su-25, Mil Mi-8 and Mil Mi-24. 

18 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

What about the Su-25, Mil Mi-8 and Mil Mi-24. 

I have the original KP Mi-8 and two old Airfix Mi-24s, one A the other a D.  I also have a somewhat newer ESCI Mi-24 which is also a D IIRC.  They also fly the Mi-26 which I would like to do, the problem is getting decals for the numerals.  They have a very oddly shaped 9 for the bort number on the Mi-26s.  I only have one Su-25 and I was planning on doing that one in Ukrainian markings. 

Later,

Dave

I just broke down and bought the Zvedza Su-30MS from the German Amazon.  The U.S. one doesn't have it in stock and they don't know if they ever will have it in stock.  The good news is I should get it by the end of the month!  Here is a little something extra:

10367_1460136305.jpg

This is one of the Kazakhstan ADF UH-1Hs.  I hope to be able to get started on it by the end of the year.  I have several other projects I already  plan to do this year.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Zvedza Su-30SM arrived today!  It does look to be an excellent kit.  The Kazakh insignia though are not usable.  There are two problems with them that I see.  The yellow is too dark, and the eagle at the base of the insignia is pointing the same direction on all six of the insignia.  The eagle should always point forward on the fuselage and towards the outside on the wings.  Begemot decals got them wrong on their Flanker sheet that has a Kazakh ADF subject.  Linden Hill decals, on the other hand, have them correct on their sheets of Kazakh ADF subjects.  Fortunately I have my own insignia that I had printed up about six weeks or so ago by Draw Decals.  They do mostly civilian aircraft and warbirds, but they also do custom printing.  They have been a big help, and I know that I'll have more work coming up for them.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2