Battle of Malaya Mitsubishi G3M1 "Nell"

JOCKNEY

My other build in this GB, will be this one

IMG_6339

Thanks to @Stew Dapple for the serial numbers for one of the torpedo bombers.

Im a bit confused over the configuration of the dorsal turrets, ill post a picture of the instructions to explain the conundrum later on.

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

Hi Pat,

Yes the turrets are a bit odd. It depends on which version it is, as I gather it has both G3M1 Model 11 and G3M2 Model 21 options. The M1 had 3 retractable turrets, two dorsal and one ventral each with one 7.7mm Type 92 mg, but the M2, which was the one used in the attack on the Repulse and Prince of Wales according to Francillon in his Putnam book, came in two subtypess, the Model 21 replaced the rear dorsal turret with a ruddy big presumably fixed glasshouse, aka "turtleback"  with the same Type 97 mg whilst the improved G3M2 Model 22 had more powerful engines and a 20mm cannon in the Turtleback  and the ventral turret was replaced by two side mounted blisters with 7.7mm mg, as below.

https://flic.kr/p/2nejJhs

A fourth Type 97 mg was added to late production Model 22 that could be fired from either side of the cockpit and in 1941 Nakajima produced the final G3M3 Model 23 version with even more powerful engines and more fuel but by that time the G4M was replacing the G3M in front line service.

Like the colour schemes of most nations there is debate about the colours used, but the above example is in what some call the "China Scheme", where the original, NMF has been overpainted on top with dark IJN green and a brown - some say lightish as in the profile and others say quite dark. If you have any problems I have a good book on the subject - the text is in Japanese of course, but the drawings and pics are useful. I see you have read my lecture of Japanese Model numbers (first digit airframe, second engine) etc so hope the above makes sense.

This is a kit I always fancied making but never got round to buying - another of the important but less well known types with over 1000 built.

LATER

Contrary to what I said earlier it seems that the G3M2 Model 22 was the one on which the "Turtleback" was introduced and the Type 21 presumably still had the retractable rotating dorsal turrets though Francillon mentions "two types" which is what confused me. I have profiles and plans if needed. The very early G3M1 had clumsy looking flat topped dorsal turrets but later versions had a domed top - send me a PM if you want more info. The ventral turret was the open dustbin type similar to ones seen on Ju 52/3, Ju86 etc.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Gosh pat another one!!!

Another great choice and a nice classic model too from a great manufacture as well. They were as good as hasegawa I reckon but less known, turned out some great auto models if memory serves me.

Well good luck with this one too, they both should look awesome together!

• Thanks 1

Here is one I made earlier.... It was the same LS kit and I remember the instructions not being very clear.  I seem to remember the paint instructions not being that good either. Please excuse the dust :)

y4mEMt5SIwuF4PG99A6iysgjgd9ozzm6BWfwBS6U

It is Aluminium / NMF underneath - my first use of AK Extreme Aluminium.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that is what I meant by domed tops on the turrets. The earlier ones would have been virtually flush with the fuselage until extended. They stuck up quite a long way when in use - almost looks like a pair of funnels/chimneys. The G3M went through tests with a large variety of engines before production was finalised and then there were just slight differences with the cowlings between models. Don't know what Pat's instructions are like as this seems to be the more recent Arii reboxing of the LS kit, but the ones on Scalemates bring back some happy memories of my first Japanese kits - some of the translations (when they had them) were  strange and at times amusing, but they did make it a little difficult at times. I can see the problem with the turrets - looks like the Model 21 has different "covers" to the Model 12, a different D/F aerial, a couple more aerials underneath perhaps, different cowlings and intakes, spinners, and maybe different u/c doors though that is far from clear! I love the suggestion of adding "tooth powder or nursery powder" to gloss paint to get satin or matt finishes - that certainly dates it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies,  just realised I hadn't posted pictures of the kit before I started so here's an up date.

Notes_220519_124540_4a9

Notes_220519_115109_1f5

Notes_220519_124444_51b

Notes_220519_124433_c76

As you can see, lots of loose parts, no doubt bits missing but that's all part of the challenge.

Cheers Pat

• Like 9