1/72nd & 1/48th - I-16 Type 5 by Clear Prop! Models

Tbolt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Tbolt ! Those look good. I hope CP gets the early wing construction right - 11 ribs, as the box art shows, and not 22 as is visible in previous sprue images. This kit (72024) is marked "Early Version", so I'm hopeful that means CP knows the difference, and later-version kits will have the wings with 22 ribs.

John

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 10:36 PM, John Thompson said:

Thanks, @Tbolt ! Those look good. I hope CP gets the early wing construction right - 11 ribs, as the box art shows, and not 22 as is visible in previous sprue images. This kit (72024) is marked "Early Version", so I'm hopeful that means CP knows the difference, and later-version kits will have the wings with 22 ribs.

John

Hopefully they'll be ribbed just right for our modeling pleasure 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm hoping to see a 1/48 Type 24...

I wonder if they will touch the later variants? It would be nice though since ICM made a mess of it.

• Like 3

I'm not familiar with the I-16 construction, but why does it have more ribs showing on the top of the wing compared to the bottom? @John Thompson I assume this is correct as it seems to match the drawings and other kits I have ( though not built one yet ), just wondered what the wing construction was like as the type 4 and early 5 matched top and bottom the number of ribs showing. Also I see why now CP have done the top wings on their own sprue so they can do the earlier wing.

• Like 1

@Tbolt On the later (22-rib) wings, every other rib is only a partial one, so it is only fully visible on top. Maybe I can find a cutaway drawing which will illustrate this. I hope...

John

(When I saw the forum notification that you had posted a reply in this thread, I thought maybe you were announcing that the kits were finally available; not yet, but when I did my daily check on CP's Facebook page, I found a test build of the SCW version - looks great, but what's this - it has the late wings!)

https://www.facebook.com/Clearpropmodels/

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

@Tbolt On the later (22-rib) wings, every other rib is only a partial one, so it is only fully visible on top. Maybe I can find a cutaway drawing which will illustrate this. I hope...

John

Thanks John. You can see it in this cutaway. So it looks like the partial ribs have a full nose section and then only have a shallow main part to the rib.

8e77e4e992a94eb9f99096e2df00eed4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It appears that CP will accommodate the difference in wings between early (11 ribs) and late (22 ribs) type 5 kits with separate sprues for the upper wing surfaces. Perhaps some kits (SCW?) will include both.

John

• Like 1

CP now has pricing up on their web site for CP72023 and CP72024, as well as a descriptive page instead of the "Tilde" placeholder thing. Price is 20 Euros. Still showing the status as "Out of stock", so it's not possible to place an order yet, but I'm sure it'll be soon!  :yahoo:

John

Edit - CP72025 has just been added, too!

Edited by John Thompson

47 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

20 Euros

Must have at least one, and use it as a model to correct my ICMs and Amodels. Would buy more if they would sell overtrees.

Carlos

1 hour ago, CarLos said:

Must have at least one, and use it as a model to correct my ICMs and Amodels. Would buy more if they would sell overtrees.

Carlos

Yes, I like your overtrees idea! Using CP72025 as an example, the kit includes nine decal options - who needs aftermarket?!  :winkgrin:  So overtrees would be welcome to use up some extra markings.

Unfortunately correcting the Amodel and ICM ones is a difficult process. I did it with the ICM kit, by substituting the fuselage from the Amodel UTI-4 t15B (72315), but it was a long, difficult process. The main problem with both older kits is that their fuselages are too fat; this affects the taper of the fuselage and also the taper of the cowling. When you get your CP kit, tape the fuselage halves together, do the same with the ICM, compare them, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. And with the CP type 5 available, the Amodel type 5 is simply obsolete.

John

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Yes, I like your overtrees idea! Using CP72025 as an example, the kit includes nine decal options - who needs aftermarket?!  :winkgrin:  So overtrees would be welcome to use up some extra markings.

Unfortunately correcting the Amodel and ICM ones is a difficult process. I did it with the ICM kit, by substituting the fuselage from the Amodel UTI-4 t15B (72315), but it was a long, difficult process. The main problem with both older kits is that their fuselages are too fat; this affects the taper of the fuselage and also the taper of the cowling. When you get your CP kit, tape the fuselage halves together, do the same with the ICM, compare them, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. And with the CP type 5 available, the Amodel type 5 is simply obsolete.

John

John, I already scaled to 1/72 and printed the drawing with sections from Massimo Tessitori's site and compared with my kits. I am almost sure that it can be done, but it's easier to do when you have an accurate kit nearby. My (probably ingenuous) plan is to separate the fairing from the fuselage, thin from the middle and redo the fairing with putty. Just an idea for now!

Carlos

• Like 1

Carlos, I did the surgery on the A-Model kit - and before I repeat the long paragraph I have written elsewhere in this thread: Don't do it. I know it's hard to throw away unbuild kits but do yourself a favor and just buy the Clear Prop one.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ChristianK said:

Carlos, I did the surgery on the A-Model kit - and before I repeat the long paragraph I have written elsewhere in this thread: Don't do it. I know it's hard to throw away unbuild kits but do yourself a favor and just buy the Clear Prop one.

Christian, I read your description above! But correcting old kits is one of my favourite aspects in modelling. Why am I building the old Airfix B-24 and looking suspectly to the Catalina also by Airfix?