Yakovlev Yak-6, 62 Gv OAP GVF, Tschkalov airfield, winter 1943, Alfa, 1/72 (corr.) +AML decals

Hi, 

Yakovlev Yak-6 was a light transport machine used by VVS USSR during WW2 and after it.  It was produced in relatively (as for Soviet) small number of 381 airplanes. 

51352688624_5eed289b1c_b.jpg

51352966465_e996b3da31_b.jpg

51352966515_470bb5d389_b.jpg

51351945431_87a3c6c7b8_b.jpg

51352966700_6a7b7e38d6_b.jpg

51351211752_dd62f4bba3_b.jpg

51352688284_1684783fc6_b.jpg

51352688379_72d755eda8_b.jpg

The model was done using the Alfa kit from 1990 (https://www.scalemates.com/pl/kits/alfa-jak-6--130690) which was later reboxed by Zvezda, Pioneer2, MisterCraft anf Encore. Not to be mixed with Yak 6 M  kit made by A-model. My kit was 30 years in stash (!), it was original Alfa release. From what I've heard the Alfa company was a private venture which appeared in last years of USSR on a basis of new open economy. The Yak was perhaps the only release, not bad as for 1990 East European standards. I did some modifications to correct some flaws of a kit.. First of all I used home made resin casts (copies) of nose of Yakovlev UT-2 (1/72 kit of Polish AGA company - as was also done in real airplane), propellers trimmed to proper diameter and engines M11 were copied from ICM Polikarpov Po-2 kit (the newer, with correct pitch) and some more scratch  details of engines (like camshaft rods, exhaust pipes...).  Decals by AML.

51119337282_e464ffabf6_o.jpg

The back sides

51119337397_fe33dc239c_o.jpg

With some scratch work done on inside

51116836960_e79bb44eb2_o.jpg

51116837080_40cdc8a586_o.jpg

Here are rough main replacement elements (below) and original one in dark brown color on top of picture

51115952403_35813291a6_o.jpg

The drawings in background of above photos are for prototype with retractable undercarriage, All serial machines (of Yak-6, not the post-war Yak-6 M)  had fixed u/c as it is done in the model. 

More on problems with Yak-6 kits were discussed in last April here 

I would like to thank for all suggestion and explanation given in this linked above thread 

Comments welcone

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 15

Alfa did do other models, but I wouldn't swear how many beyond only a few.  I have the Yak 6 and also an Su 2.  I also had the Eagle's Talon Wings vacform which was rather nice, but I eventually decided that making one from the two was more likely to be worthwhile.  The ET kit contributed white metal engines, undercarriage, and other details.  Both lack anything worthwhile as far as interiors are concerned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Alfa did do other models, but I wouldn't swear how many beyond only a few.  I have the Yak 6 and also an Su 2.  I also had the Eagle's Talon Wings vacform which was rather nice, but I eventually decided that making one from the two was more likely to be worthwhile.  The ET kit contributed white metal engines, undercarriage, and other details.  Both lack anything worthwhile as far as interiors are concerned.

Graham, you are right, there were LAGG-3, Yak-4 & B-22, MiG-3 and Su-2 by Alfa as I checked here https://www.scalemates.com/pl/brands/alfa--925. I did not known about the vacu formed Yak-6 kits before... Thanks!

Regards

J-W

16 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It doesn't look like a simple build. Well done for taming that little beast.

Thank you. In some way it was...Maybe this was the reason that was 30 years in my stash!  The problem is that if you want to do the WW2 production variant of Yak-6 this moulds are the only choice currently on market. 

Regards

J-W

Apart from the cowlings over the cylinder heads, what are the differences between the wartime and post-war ones?  I presume that if you are making replacement engines then working from a postwar example would be fairly easy?  Of course, if you have an Alfa one already... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Apart from the cowlings over the cylinder heads, what are the differences between the wartime and post-war ones?  I presume that if you are making replacement engines then working from a postwar example would be fairly easy?  Of course, if you have an Alfa one already... 

Graham besides difference in engines and retractable or not u/c), it appears that he Yak 6M has different slope of wings. Like in case of Il-2 the "M" is "strielka" (arrow) and regular is "doska" (board). Please have a look at the molds, this is A-model: 

1619_1_AM72182_2.jpg

and this is Alfa/Zvezda/MisterCraft/Encore/Pioneer2 kit

20107_1_mscd29_1.jpg

Yak 6M LNB in A-model kit has wings of 6M, on some drawings has wings of 6, so I am not sure how it was in fact, bt it was a sole prototype AFAIK.

To be frank - in some descriptions it is not noticed, that such such difference ever existed but on this drawing it is clearly shown on side views:

http://hobbyport.ru/mkmagazin/avia/yak_6_07.gif

In above link, from top - regular serial production Yak-6, prototype of LNB and Yak 6 M

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Yak-6!

Saluti

Giampiero

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Kjetil Åkra said:

Nice one, good to see one built!

Good to have one on shelf!  :) - Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Well done, looks perfect.

Thank you!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek