WnW Albatross Dva

John McNamara

Hi Guys,

Excuse me for coming on here and asking what I suspect is a really dumb question. Having just got back into plastic modelling after a long layoff, I came across the name of Wingnuts Wings.  What's more they listed lots of Albatross DVa variants as well as a Bristol F2B; my two favourite WW1 subjects. Imagine my dismay then when I tried to order. It was like meeting the girl of my dreams, only to find that she got married last weekend. Cruel!!

So, I have been searching the internet and only come up with ebay traders wanting £200 plus for a kit. That kind of grates on me, because I doubt that any of these guys are real modellers, just opportunists. So, is there any store, anywhere in the world that still has stock?

I realise that I am clutching at straws, but equally it would be daft not to ask.

Thinks

John

Hi John.

Alas, you are about 9 months too late to the party and WNW (if those who were part of the company are correct) are no more. Not 'speculation', simply repeating what those who worked for the company have openly and publicly said. For balance, no such comment or declaration has been issued by the company itself.

Whilst some of the less popular subjects in the range are still, subjectively, available for reasonable money albeit at a still higher than retail price, the Albatros was an extremely popular WNW modelling subject due to the history of the aircraft and also of course, the myriad of attractive and colourful schemes this machine wore in service. As such, your chances of finding one at former retail price or anything like it are slim-zero as it is the simple market forces of desirability, supply and demand which drives the current and projected price.

There is always a slight possibility that a stash of kits currently languishing in some WNW owned warehouse somewhere may get into the hands of a main hobby store sometime soon or more likely, the kits may get reissued sometime in the years ahead by a company(s) who take on the moulds but after seeing and experiencing what Meng did when let loose with the WNW Dr1 tooling, then don't expect the same legendary WNW QC or end result in any re-box if this is reflective of what to expect.

Good luck and if you can track one down and whilst currently finishing one myself, I can say first hand that it is a superb modelling experience and well worth the effort to track one down.

Gary

• Like 2

You might get lucky, there's no harm in asking around as I managed to pick up an original Bristol F2B a couple of months ago from a very kind Gent (who knew the eBay prices) for the price he'd originally paid for it. So there are some genuine WnW Modellers who are willing to sell spare kits from their stash without gouging the prices.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Hi Gary & Duncan,

There is a chap in Norfolk constantly on ebay with several kits with starting prices of £200.  Whilst I would really like one, and if I am honest with myself, I could afford it, it just grates a bit to hand over that amount of cash for a plastic kit. However, given that realistically these kits are unlikely to come back I will probably bite the bullet.

The next question is this. None of the colour schemes of his kits float my boat. For sure it must have lozenge camo. I may try the paint masks for this, or should I go with aftermarket decals? It seems a complex process to cover the whole wing in panels of decal, and then add rib tapes over the ribs and LE. Any opinions on this subject please guys? As for the fuselage, either a wood or a colourful painted scheme.

There was one painted a vey dark blue with white stars that has caught my eye. I would be grateful for suggestions.

TIA

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

A month ago WNW had a stall at an NZ airshow to clear stock and, as shown in my photo, there were a few Albatros on hand. Hopefully they reopen the online store soon so folks like yourself can get hold of these at a reasonable price.

50984236878_506c2e672d_b.jpg

• Like 2

I would suggest building one or more of the Eduard 1/48 scale Albatros kits. They are enjoyable builds, affordable, and there are lots of aftermarket decals available.   

Since you’re just getting back into the hobby after a long layoff, your skills may be a bit rusty.   Far better to get your skills back on a couple of builds of nice kits that may cost a tenth of what  the WNW kits go for these days!

• Like 1

Hi All thank you for the replies, I have just received a kit from a member here, Redcap. He has sold me one of his at a sensible price. A true gentleman. Thank you Redcap! 

I too hope that WnW opens their doors again. I would be a regular customer. RC Boater Bill, I suppose the US coastguard has more modern vessels that that shown in your profile, but none so pretty! Is she still sailing?

I never stopped modelleing, I just spent the last 50 years aquiring new skills in flying RC scale models. Most of the basic skills of scale detailing cross over, but the models have to actually fly. Moreover, the have to be flown and this requiires great skill that is hard to learn.

What's new for me is the myriad of new materials out there for the plastics builder, and that is what I am having to learn about. There is so much after market stuff. Amazing!

Regards,

John

• Like 2

That’s the EAGLE, the USCG Academy’s training ship.  She’s the ex-Horst Wessel, one of 5 Kreigsmarine training ships built in the late 1930s.  She’s been a US Coast Guard Cutter since 1945.  I spent 15 weeks on Eagle over the course of my Academy years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

That’s the EAGLE, the USCG Academy’s training ship.  She’s the ex-Horst Wessel, one of 5 Kreigsmarine training ships built in the late 1930s.  She’s been a US Coast Guard Cutter since 1945.  I spent 15 weeks on Eagle over the course of my Academy years.

A good name for a USCG vessel. I am only slightly envoius. I would have loved to have sailed as a younger man.

John