Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

8 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I rather like FO2....no bin on the back of the turret...

I think it was blown off judging but the shell strike on the turret and the ragged remains of the mounts

• Like 2

I tried the copy of the diagram thing, very instructive as it happens, it is indeed the case that they haven't reproduced the sharper angle on one side etc, see pics, one side lines up fine and parallel but the other (pic 1) is off angle...it doesn't look much but this would be enough to account for the asymetrical mantlet if "adjusted".

if I was going to get rid of the bin on the turret I'd have to do major surgery to it anyway, as it's cast in one go with the bin as part of it, and there's a huge gap if you sawed the bin off, so.. "in for a penny in for a pound"  !

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 4

If you can get the turret roof out, and the turret base, then that's not too bad to sort out I think, you can just cut the side plate at the angle change (on the top edge) and then turn it in a bit, then make a new mantlet.

Matt

• Like 2

Indeed so. Tbh I'd probably do the new turret sides and rear in one continuous "curl" of plasticard rather than join bits up, it might need a rough wood "former" or something bodging up to wrap it around temporarily, whatever  ( you know wot I mean 'Arry ! )

If its going to be slathered with Zimmerit tho, joins wouldnt matter...I'll see what I think.

The mantlet could be 100% scratched or alternatively the existing one could have a slice removed inside the big rib at the offside edge, either or really. Again Zim could cover a multitude of sins !..... :)

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I tried the copy of the diagram thing, very instructive as it happens, it is indeed the case that they haven't reproduced the sharper angle on one side etc, see pics, one side lines up fine and parallel but the other (pic 1) is off angle...it doesn't look much but this would be enough to account for the asymetrical mantlet if "adjusted".

if I was going to get rid of the bin on the turret I'd have to do major surgery to it anyway, as it's cast in one go with the bin as part of it, and there's a huge gap if you sawed the bin off, so.. "in for a penny in for a pound"  !

spacer.pngspacer.png

I would just redo the entire turret ............... make the base and roof first following the diagram then all the angles are set , then make the turret sides in one piece as in real life........then its just a case of detailing ...you can butcher the orginal for the cupola and things like the vision ports and armoured pistol port ............ but that's just me...weighing up the time to convert against just doing a full rebuild im betting there's not much in it time wise 

• Like 1

Well, If you're gonna go foot to the floor and make a whole new turret, then make a wooden former to the shape of the inside of the turret (from the drawing) then get some plate brass, and bend it round the former, then scratch the roof, the floor, the mantlet, turret hatches, add a metal barrel, do all the fine detail in etched brass, and bingo, you will have the prettiest turret ever made. :thumbsup:

^^ not a serious suggestion, lol (but it would look very good)

Matt

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Revisited my 1/72 tigers tracks. I was very disappointed with the poor alignment - I still am but not quite so much.

y4mdycpiU5nbgaakVEYWqo5Di1pVFsINNF5OFuKg y4mGaP5_CiOP7xKZM4SZwrvN4aFuE5CG5NMBba1s

y4m_KkYePhPosnf0PGQuMgORN6ohaDcS1S919WMC

y4mOLuFD4ACc2cYK0Hu8YNRuEFnBbgXgY0Rlc1tC y4mHRKceBopLQZZCeNJytqRlNJcKXVGS4o3dHCnX

They're still far from perfect and will need some "mud" to cover the gaps/steps in the track runs but I'm not quite so disappointed as I was.

The engine cover lifting handles. y4m8f74ofOxrlZXBYMVKGS1YCoO2MjvS-BcxI6SP

and the turret hatch handle lumps are now replaced with wire. y4mfFMW2OGmTKA-NYSpTarDC6FqOldO718YaEA7V

and a final basecoat of Humbrol 93 matt enamel applied overall.

• Like 8

I've already thought of the make it all in metal thing !...getting more like the bleedin' loco all over again this is !!!

I'd pretty much agree with Mr P1 here, making the basic turret from scratch is hardly any more agro than what i initially proposed anyway.. 👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, echen said:

Revisited my 1/72 tigers tracks. I was very disappointed with the poor alignment - I still am but not quite so much.

Coming along nicely echen........with the tracks ...that's nothing some well thought out weathering and liberal application of dirt mud and debris won't fix..... :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Smoke dischargers done and detailed .....i'm sure those of you who have built a 35th Tiger can appreciate just how small these are...so you can probably also appreciate the amount of blue language that was mumbled under my breath as i assembled these ...i made one teardrop electrical connector attached it to a piece of wire then pushed it into plasticine 10-12 times the cast them in resin ......cut the time down a little and ensured they would all look roughly the same.....the smoke tubes were done from brass tube and i made a small jig so i could cut the slots in without to much deviation there too...bolt heads and nuts were from a Meng set...and 50 gauge copper wire to do the wiring just a touch of lead foil to do the small tube mount bolts.

spacer.png

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

the very rare " Giraffen Panzer "

Another of Hitler's wonder weapons ...designed to hide behind the reichstag at the later part of the battle for Berlin.......it pokes it's turret above the rooftops and takes pot shots from a secure hull down position...only one ever made it of the production line.....mainly becuase the roof of the factory was destroyed when it was driven out........... :D

Oh and some rough pre shading done..........

spacer.png

• Like 9

Dunkelgrau on the chassis and turret some modulation done and some low lights added , all done with the airbrush.......next a very thin coat of enamel flat clear followed by chipping fluid ..then masking for the white wash....... 

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 5

A bit more done, mainly on the tracks and running gear.

TEST fitted only so please don't tell me that they are upside down or back to front ;)

P1090636

P1090637

Commanders and gunners seats sorted 

P1090640

P1090641

A few bits that I found kicking about the stash.

P1090638

P1090639

Enjoy 

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

TEST fitted only so please don't tell me that they are upside down or back to front 

Dude not only are they upside down and back to front ....but there inside out :D............................looking impressive bud and those machine gun barrels look very nice...wish i had got a set for mine now.

• Haha 2

So the paint is hardening off nicely , while this was happening i thought it would be a good idea to cut some masks for the white wash pattern on the hull and turret, used the pic from the Dragon kit instructions as a reference as they are pretty much spot on, opened them in paint on the pooter then enlarged them until they were at the same scale as the kit, it was just a simple case of using baking paper to hold to the screen and gently mark the lines once done cut them out. 

I'm using MIG washable white as this along with the chipping fluid will allow for very precise weathering chipping and fading of the wash.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Markings done......Archer don't do a kit for Tiger 100 so i had to go through their entire catalog of dry transfers and cherry pick different sets to get what i needed.........the result is pleasing although the 502 Mammoth on the rear of the turret is slightly to small.......but it is hardly noticeable unless you have the pics standing next to the model...next enamel clear coat to seal them ...while this is drying i will finish the masks.

spacer.png

• Like 8

That's looking piggin' excellent !.( or as me and Andrei would say.. barely mediocre anyway ;) )

I tried using kitchen tracing paper on a screen recently, unfortunately as a tablet the image kept jumping about if you touched it more than just a tiny bit...shudda done it on a laptop..doh...!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1