Sand and Spinach

TonyW

That Hurricane looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'll give your mix for the dark green a try. It certainly looks the part to me.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TonyW said:

That Hurricane looks absolutely gorgeous.

I'll give your mix for the dark green a try. It certainly looks the part to me.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. 116 was just a bit dark and since a had a couple of tins of 30 I just used it to lighten it up.

I think sometimes it can be more important to get the balance between colours looking right on a model than getting them spot on as some colours vary so much with weathering and a certain amount between some batches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Your not going to like my Whitley, done in the style of a WW2 era wooden kit. I used a cigarette card as a colour guide, reasoning that colour pictures and appropriate paints  would be hard to come by at the time. 😄

That's absolutely excellent. It's of course way out in terms of actual full size colours but you've captured those very characteristic illustration tones perfectly. Great idea for a model.

• Thanks 1

Being trained in both history and archaeology I take a very scientific approach to the paints used in my 1/72 aircraft models.

After deciding which aircraft to do I consult my references, the colour guide of the kit, check Britmodeller. After that I carefully write down what colours of what brands I need on a clean sheet of paper. Following that I screw up the paper and toss it in the bin.

As I only have access to a limited number of paints (mostly Humbrol) and because I enjoy brush painting and prefer enamals I pick the closest colour I can find in my small stock.

For me it is about having a representation if a particular aircraft associated with a particular person, event, or a particular campaign, and for the pure fun of building.

DennisTheBear

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Being trained in both history and archaeology I take a very scientific approach to the paints used in my 1/72 aircraft models.

After deciding which aircraft to do I consult my references, the colour guide of the kit, check Britmodeller. After that I carefully write down what colours of what brands I need on a clean sheet of paper. Following that I screw up the paper and toss it in the bin.

As I only have access to a limited number of paints (mostly Humbrol) and because I enjoy brush painting and prefer enamals I pick the closest colour I can find in my small stock.

For me it is about having a representation if a particular aircraft associated with a particular person, event, or a particular campaign, and for the pure fun of building.

DennisTheBear

<chef's kiss>

The perfect answer 😂

• Like 1

Hi, Having recently been having the same conundrum with RAF Dark Green,( Airfix Spitfire Mkivx,) and Humbrol, I noticed in the old Humbrol " The Colour System" swatch book that I've had for years,that even they , under RAF -European  don't suggest a number, but give a mix of , Nos, 80x21, 33x6 ,99x2 and 34x1,for Dark Green, didn't try it myself, went with 163 in the end, but thought someone might fancy a go to see how it looks.

Out of interest they give, Nos,29 for Dark Earth, 23 for Duck Egg Blue,106 for Ocean Grey, A mix of, 34x160 ,101x5, 99x4,and 60x1 for Sky Type "S" and a mix of140x30,34x16,27x3,and 109x1, for Medium Sea Grey, if anyone wants to play

They also suggest,BTW, 163 for RAF, Post war. 

I understand that you can no longer get 23 to its previous light blue colour, but it is now filled with something more resembling Sky.  I would not rely on any mix of old Humbrol paints, as these paints have not remained constant over the years.

Over on the Lancaster GB I'm in over my head as usual. Todays efforts involved working on four Lancaster builds.  At close of play here's how three of them looked. 

IMG-1490.jpg

Each one is wearing slightly different colours.

T-PO wasn't built by me, I'm adding stuff that was missing when I got it, plus adding to the paintwork. It seems to be Humbrol 29 Dark Earth and 116 Dark Green.

The other two are 1960's Revell kits, both built by me. They are unfinished.  OL-Q is in Revell Dark earth and dark green as is PO-S but that one got an enamel clear coat before the transfers went on. The clear has darkened the finish a bit. All three schemes look OK to me, all three are different. The kit parts, far right are yet another Lancaster, destined to be finished in Humbrol 26 and a mix of Humbrol 30 and 116. Experimenting yesterday with those colours see's yet another take on the subject that seems to look right as well!

Yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!

Tony.

• Like 1