The Other Tim’s 1/72 Airfix BAe Hawk 736 NAS Royal Navy +++FINISHED+++

Tim Moff

I’m in with this Airfix Red Arrow’s boxing of the venerable Hawk, which will be dressed up as a Royal Navy ‘Aggressor’ using Xrradecals and some Hataka Orange line  HTK-C100 – Jet Black / Night/ BS381C:642 that I got with their RAF Trainers boxing.

1/72 not my forte, so will do the basics in the out, add the pilot and wait fir the decals in the post!

ljExFI0.jpg

9LdqWnx.png

UjH8nYn.png

gjrZmxf.jpg

started work getting the parts off the sprues, some test fitting and cleaned up some flash.

C8A2IJR.jpg

Bit of priming and painting

jLYCmti.jpg

• Like 7

Getting on with some bits. Not sure if the decals contain stencils etc so may have to find a set that do....

lvyY09F.jpg

RaP6TPo.jpg

cwNTnbE.jpg

Needs a bit of filler, not my best skill, that and seams....am trying a liquid filler, Mr Paint liquid filler, brushed it on will see how it goes...

667LCQW.jpg

Getting on with some bits. Not sure if the decals contain stencils etc so may have to find a set that do....

lvyY09F.jpg

RaP6TPo.jpg

cwNTnbE.jpg

Needs a bit of filler, not my best skill, that and seams....am trying a liquid filler, Mr Paint liquid filler, brushed it on will see how it goes...

667LCQW.jpg

• Like 4

For a lil dinky kit its taking some filler and bashing together, couple of school boy errors from me didn't help though....

Going along now, 

whz45xp.jpg

kLMt6CP.jpg

kzuD5sm.jpg

vc79ieX.jpg

Decals arrived but theres no stencils, so they are now ordered too...hopefully get the canopy masked and on so I can start looking at getting the paint down...not sure if the cream cockpit tape thingie is a decal ot that I may need to mask and paint it on, or omit, will have to check...

• Like 5

Getting on with the final part of the build and Mr Paint Black primer...

AuatqEM.jpg

OGoC89O.jpg

Cq1Nu4v.jpg

Will be using the Hataka paint from the RAF Trainers set.

The real plane looks to be  gloss in finish, but I may well add a few drops of matt to the gloss sealing coat to make it a satin finish?

Not much in the way of weathering on a shiny black jet that looks to be well kept! Just waiting for those stencils...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Getting on with the pesky 1/72 stencils that are white so even harder to see and cut off the backing!

Rr9miyQ.jpg

vvMaFIY.jpg

Looking forward to washes, these are generally kept clean, but Gloss black can look a bit unrealistic....any advice on what colour wash to use on Gloss Black? Probably just in the panel lines rather than the old dark dirt all over?

Have seen this stuff advertised - any comments/views?

AMig1615__12426.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Plucked up the mojo to get the rest of these 1/72 stencils done, lil buggers are a pain, especially the white ones that can hardly actually be seen when cutting from the sheet!

Some final detail painting, Nav Lights etc before I can gloss to lock it all in, then I will concoct my own panel line pin wash using some black oil paint with a dab of white, it may work, may not....last satin/gloss cote and final bits to go on...hopefully hit the new finish date!

Dz3WB8y.jpg

ineNNck.jpg

ehnrorF.jpg

G9tJMwC.jpg

• Like 6

Well, thats it done, just need to get some pics for the gallery.

Done the small area detail painting, nav lights, gave it a mix of gloss/matt Mr Paint finish. I diid mix up a dark grey oil pin wash, but it does not seem to be visible....

Added the antennas, pitot and sorted the canopy etc.

Nice little model!

V1JsZsZ.jpg

HbYEaHH.jpg

erQCfSS.jpg

llXoGr6.jpg

Thanks for following.

• Like 3

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim’s 1/72 Airfix BAe Hawk 736 NAS Royal Navy +++FINISHED+++