Airfix/Heller Saab Tunnan.

stevej60

Evening all,saw this kit on e-bay and put in a bid starting at the fiver advertised,three days later and it never went any higher! it all looked good in the sellers photos

so one for later in the GB.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Col. said:

Made in Sweden so allowed regardless of where she was used Steve :) 

That's great Col many thanks,I'll do her in Austrian colours then that's a first for me!

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

If it is the same as my original Heller one it should go together pretty well. The only thing to watch is the fit around the nose as the big cut out for the alternative lower nose inserts leaves it a bit wobbly. I left the insert off until I was sure about the ballast and then had a bit of a problem lining it up properly. Don't know if Airfix give the amount of weight needed - Heller did and if anything were slightly over. I seem to remember either 6g or 7g but it is in my build thread.

Good luck.

Pete

Just checked and it was 7g and there was plenty of room. Of course the Airfix plastic may not weigh quite the same. I actually put 8g in I think.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

wow that's quick work Steve and the cockpit looks great.

Being a Swedish produced aircraft you're free to go with whatever scheme draws you fancy........I'm still waiting for someone to do the UN version!

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

.I'm still waiting for someone to do the UN version!

That scheme crossed my mind Rich but this boxing didn't have it so I'm going Austrian.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orso said:

I'm sorry to say that the Heller/Airfix kit is the wrong version for Austria. But not many persons will notice the difference.

Only mad persons with an urge to use a saw (like me) will care. 😀

That's interesting Orso,what are the differences?

Hi folks,no doubt Orso will get back to us but regardless of that a change of plan is in hand.the nose and lower fuselage pieces were a poor fit

and filler used I think on this one it will be better hidden with the Swedish painted scheme rather than silver.

20200225_111354

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

Orso will be able to tell you more, but I believe the Austrians bought the F version which had a more powerful afterburning engine - the kit is an E with the option of a C recce version. I did think about converting mine to an F but I think I would have had to modify the rear fuselage and jetpipe as I recall.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folk's.Well I realised after Orso's information that I couldn't really do the Austrian machine then as I'd fitted the none recce fuselage insert

I was stuffed doing the Swedish example as the decal's were for such a machine, so I thought being none to fussy on accuracy I'd go back to

plan A but I did extend the tailpipe anyway,sprayed Humbrol aluminium with some areas brushed in silver just for the fun of it.I've brushed on

Gloss coat and I'll do a second coat soon.

20200302_194936

• Like 6

Hi folks sadly the decals were useless again Heller must be unique in that the newer the boxing the worse the decals! I l'll probably just do a what if but for the purpose of this GB I'll call it a day and see if I can be inspired to decal up the rest of the Viggen.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

Perhaps some of us can help with spare decals Steve, what do you need?

Hi Col.I would need a set of decals for the fighter version of the Tunnan either Swedish or Austrian I'm up in the loft fighting with the Viggens decals at the moment not really seen if theres anything on the  net replacement wise.

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Col.I would need a set of decals for the fighter version of the Tunnan either Swedish or Austrian I'm up in the loft fighting with the Viggens decals at the moment not really seen if theres anything on the  net replacement wise.

I can hopefully help with at least a set of Swedish national insignia from a generic sheet if you know the sizes.

12 hours ago, Col. said:

I can hopefully help with at least a set of Swedish national insignia from a generic sheet if you know the sizes.

Thanks a lot Col,there's some out there on E-bay for a silver finished Swedish machine I'll finish the kit anyway and before the GB's end maybe grab a

set if the price is right.Hopefully the Starfighter will be here today the Danish decals look like they're small eighties green era ones I just hope they are

for the two seater as the kit can be built as both single and twin.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, stevej60 said:

Hi folks sadly the decals were useless again Heller must be unique in that the newer the boxing the worse the decals! I l'll probably just do a what if but for the purpose of this GB I'll call it a day and see if I can be inspired to decal up the rest of the Viggen.

Hi Steve,

The decs for my old Heller Tunnan were very thick but did go on with the help of a coat of thinned wet varnish to act as glue. However I got the impression yours was the Aidfix re-box so wonder who actually made the decs? I printed my own national insignia for the Viggen as the kit ones were out of register. On clear decal paper they were a bit translucent but when I put another on top they were fine. I still have the templates so could print some off if it would be any help - I guess they would be the same size as on my Tunnan E. The same probably applies to the other markings but I would need to know what they were and the size.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete yes these are the Airfix re-box decals,I'll scout around for a replacement set and if need's be come calling from you or Col,now I've just

been holding my breath while putting on the much older Airfix Corsair and they've been superb.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Don't know if you have any of the national insignia left but if not the ones on my Tunnan are 1.45cm diameter on the upper wing and fuselage and 2cm on the lower wing as best I can measure them. If Col has the correct size that would be the easiest and best way to go.

Pete

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 18:49, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

Don't know if you have any of the national insignia left but if not the ones on my Tunnan are 1.45cm diameter on the upper wing and fuselage and 2cm on the lower wing as best I can measure them. If Col has the correct size that would be the easiest and best way to go.

Pete

Thank's Pete,thankfully I've tracked down a good set of Heller decals for the Swedish fighter version for a decent £3.50.

• Like 2