This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

One 48

1/48 Grumman Avenger blue tri colour pacific era kits ?

After one now ... Accurate Miniatures made good ones as I recall, quick look on Ebay shows lots of Hobbyboss ones at cheap prices ... looking for a quality kit if I can please.

Did Italeri not re issue AM Avengers as basically the same kit?

Are there any other choices in this scale?

Thanks.

Apparently, Italeri did reissue the AM kits. Academy reissued several of the AM kits more recently; the boxes indicate they're AM moulds. 

Hobby Boss released their own kits. Revellogram also had a 1/48 version, which was far simpler than either the AM or HB kits. I suppose the Lindberg version is simpler still...

I have the AM TBM-3, HB TBF-1C, and Revellogram TBF. I'll make the latter into a firebomber.

Edited by dnl42
Typo...

Hi One 48. Forget the Hobbyboss kits and look for either the original Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C kits (#3403 or #3405...probably on Ebay) or the reissue done by Italeri (kit #2644).

Note: The RNZAF roundels in the Italeri kit are competely wrong in colour and size!

Academy appear to have done the later TBM-3 but these were usually overall Glossy Sea Blue.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Actually, the Hobby Boss is purported to be pretty good (especially by their standards!) and gives you the ability to have the wings folded, which Acc Min does not.  I'd probably lean toward Acc Min, though, if folded wings doesn't matter.  At least in the US, second-hand Acc Min Avengers aren't hard to come by.  (I've got both, but haven't built either.)

The Monogram is very old and does not compare.

Edited by gingerbob

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

After one now ... Accurate Miniatures made good ones as I recall, quick look on Ebay shows lots of Hobbyboss ones at cheap prices ... looking for a quality kit if I can please.

Given the wailing and gnashing off teeth when Hobby Boss and Trumpeter stuff up yet another subject,  The HB Avenger has been received positively, I suspect it is a scale down of the Trumpeter 1/32nd kit.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/previews/hobbyboss/80325.htm

google up Hobby Boss Avenger and more will be found.

The British boxing lacks the specific FAA features,  but not a problem in your case.

Did Italeri not re issue AM Avengers as basically the same kit?

Italeri did re-issue the AM kit.

It's boxed as a TBF-1/TBM-1,  but some kits have the TBM-3 parts,  I have two, one with the TBM-3 parts, and one without. (the TBM-3 has a different cowling)

Though, AFAIK, all TBM-3 were overall Gloss Sea Blue

Academy are now boxing the kit.

Are there any other choices in this scale?

Thanks.

as stated, the 60's era Monogram kit,  great if you like working features and rivets ;) 

One point, since you specifically mentioned the Tri Color scheme

It's actually a 4 color scheme

tbf_profile01.jpg&key=1bfd1ca759213d110b

The scheme is actually four colors - white, Intermediate Blue, Semi-gloss Sea Blue (atop the wings and horizontal tail), and Non-Specular Sea Blue (atop the fuselage and on leading edges of the wings and stabs). The last two colors differ in more than the gloss factor - non-spec is distinctly grayer and lighter than the semi-gloss. I generally refer to the scheme as 4-color to clarify the differences.

There was a later version where all of the paints were glossy - it wasn't seen often, but it certainly was a three-color scheme.

Cheers,

Dana

rarely visible in photos,  as ANA 606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue and ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue are close in color

WYn4VSK.jpg

from

one final color point

the Grumman built TBF have different internal colors to the Eastern built TBM planes,  as did the external colors for aircraft supplied to the British

there are details here if you wish to know more.

HTH

11 hours ago, Pete M. said:

Academy appear to have done the later TBM-3 but these were usually overall Glossy Sea Blue.

Lots of TBM-3s were delivered in the four-tone camouflage.

If you’re building one from the AM kit, you need a new prop. The prop is correct for the -1C, but the -3 had a paddle bladed prop.