‘Hurricat’ 1/48 Hurricane & Catapult

Gisbod

24 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Does anyone know what the colour of the flap interior should be?

much debated.  Assuming they finishing instructions are like Spitfires, they are an interior surface, ego, the interior colour. A piece of Spitfire servicing film is on youtube, from May 1940, thus Night port wing, and the flap are clearly aluminium dope.  (do you want the link?) 

Flaps down pics are rare, in this shot they are clearly a light colour,  and this predates Sky undersides, so I'd say aluminium is a good bet.   Also the sort of thing that would not be easy to repaint! 

Hurricane-I-RAF-605Sqn-HET-forced-landed

2 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Would the oil ring have been fitted to the prop hub or the fuselage?

Fuselage, it's a semi circle piece.

HTH

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

much debated.  Assuming they finishing instructions are like Spitfires, they are an interior surface, ego, the interior colour. A piece of Spitfire servicing film is on youtube, from May 1940, thus Night port wing, and the flap are clearly aluminium dope.  (do you want the link?) 

Yes please!

G

There are several films,  they be in the link, this is the relevant one,   the flap bit I have copied the time link too

note the inside of the cockpit and cockpit door, shot under same light and film in a mid grey, the flap inside is quite light,  so is aluminium.

IIRC you are a pilot, so you may finds this interesting in itself.  

PR is 609 Sq,  and as it has the Night/White underside, but the yellow ringed roundel, is shot in May or early June 1940,  Sky undersides introduced from 8 June 1940 IIRC.

cheers

T

• Thanks 2

Made a start on the main frame. Takes a fair bit of clean up and the main parts were a little warped. I’m not hugely experienced with resin and the instructions say to put in boiling water to straighten. I took the plunge and covered them in said water straight from the kettle. Amazingly they do straighten out!

I really like brass & resin but I can’t say I really enjoy working with them...

3-C511-ACF-7763-43-AF-A664-D533-FDEAE981

Guy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I made a 1/144 scale version on the front of a scratch built merchant ship several years ago, so have been following your more detailed build with interest.

hurricane10.jpg

launch7.jpg

Very nice! 😉

Guy

Done the bulk of the catapult now. Not shake and bake. But looks quite impressive once done.

I just need to paint that now. I presume it would have been painted a ship grey colour rather than exposed metal? 

Guy

9-A88-BB2-B-1-FCE-4-DEB-AA4-D-50-A5-CC27

943-A5-C44-446-B-47-E3-8-F76-99768-FD6-E

• Like 4

Just got this fella to paint now and I think she’ll be about done.

Figures are not my forte so.. never quite know how they’re going to turn out!

Guy

67415377-3412-4-DFF-BC49-200-AE6371-CB5.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Col. said:

The figure looks well moulded. Where did you get it from?

He is, pretty exceptional I would say. Just wish I could do him justice! BarracudaCast - picture of the package on page 1.

All finished now. Just about to post it on the completed models section 😙

Thanks again for tuning in.

Guy

Hi Guy

I'll stick this here,  as it's a minor point,  which you may wish to consider, or not, 

9-E6458-DB-ABE3-47-ED-BC98-5-EB16-BDFA57

the footstep has a linkage to the handhold flap, when it's pulled down, the flap opens.  And the footstep is the wrong way round.  

Sea%2520Hurricane-015.JPG&key=d0d7243ef1

when the step is up, all you can see is the hand loop too pull it down, so  you could just remove the pulled down step.  

sh09.jpg&key=5d0d3bb3488a7c006c86efeb173

It's a minor point, just thought worth a mention as it possibly could be 'fixed' 

• Like 1