Shavrov SH-2 Amphibian

The time has come to start thinking of the fiddly bits; wing supports, struts, wheels and their suspension.

20190801-122740-1.jpg

Main wing supports, what can I say...pants. They're all supposed to be the same length but I'm not sure which is the correct length. Looks like I'm going to have scratch some out of my dwindling stock of strutz.

20190801-122750-1.jpg

These supports for the tailT planes are not much better, more strutz required.

20190801-122822-1.jpg

The supports for the mid-section need a bit of cleaning but I'm hoping that they'll be usable.

20190801-122956-1.jpg

I'll call these parts 'suspension' and it looks like scratch options may be called for, just got to find THAT image I saved somewhere.

But I think I'll tackle these first

20190801-122912-1.jpg

The wheels with the PE spoke centres in its fret.

20190801-130536-1.jpg

Tyres sanded into something half decent and centres drilled leaving a lip for the PE spoke centres.

Stuart

• Like 7

'N' struts or whatever they're called.

Something was tapping at the old grey cells about these parts and it wasn't until I took a better look at images of the ambulance variant that I'm building here.

SH-2-N-Strut.jpg

If one looks at the arrowed section, it can seen that the middle strut isn't fixed externally but internally, inside the windscreen. As can be seen in an earlier post, the kit strut part are moulded as one. Some variants do use this configuration, maybe other ambulance craft do but not the decal option.

Armed with new information the struts have either got to be cut up or more brass strutz have got to used...I need a plan of attack :hmmm:.

Stuart

• Like 5

Don't bother with Strutz, just use styrene strip. All my struts are made from that, with brass pins added for strength at the attachment points and the edges sanded down to shape. I had 2 packs of Strutz. I sold one, and have still not touched the other one. It just doesn't work for 1:72.

Ian

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Don't bother with Strutz,

I've never had to make struts before, I might just have to give it a go and learn a new skill.

38 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

It just doesn't work for 1:72

And why is that?

Stuart

I just pulled out my pack of strutz and all I see is brass rod! Most struts are not round in section, and the mounting point could be at the front or central. Plastic strip is far easier to work with and tailor to the correct section with a bit of sanding, and there is absolutely no need for the strength of brass in this scale.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Start of another week and it's two steps forward and one step back.

20190812-123317-1.jpg

The struts for the centre wing were a little off in my book, so the kit holes were filled and new ones made. With this little shift, I'm hoping that the diagonal strut will now fit just inside the window, we'll see.

20190812-123441-1.jpg

New struts made with longer 'legs' so I can find a good fixing point inside the front window. But...

20190812-123616-1.jpg

...during the polishing process of the windscreen, it went snap. I personally think their was a stress fracture or something but I'll need to make a replacement. In hindsight, it might've been a good thing, as a new part will be a lot thinner that the kit part, which will hopefully give me a little more wiggle room for the strut fixing.

So tonight's job is make a new window (then remember to take it to work)

Stuart

• Like 6

The new struts look good, hopefully they'll sort the problem. Sometimes fate just gives us a clue.

It needs a new windscreen.....

Ian

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:48 AM, Moa said:

Heresy!

Comfy chair for you!

I have to agree with Moa, Strutz has worked for me a few times, especially on these two where I needed strength and aerofoil section. That is brass Strutz on both aircraft.

20190308_211916

Nice work on your struts Stuart.

Terry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The new struts look good, hopefully they'll sort the problem. Sometimes fate just gives us a clue.

It needs a new windscreen.....

Cheers Ian. Broken windscreen sitting on mat at the moment, later hopefully.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice work on your struts Stuart.

Cheers Terry. I have to very selective with the brass strutz as I have only a few bits left. The kit examples of the supportive struts (like yours above) are different lengths, so the new ones might be brass as they do support the upper wing.

Stuart

• Like 1

Great job Stuart, your struts look far better than the kit parts !

Sad for the windshield but on the other hand, you surely will make a better one

At least a bit more transparent...

Keep up that great job and have a blue Chimay !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job ... blue Chimay !!

Cheers CC. The windscreen was very much usable until I tried to make it more so. As for the 'blue Chimay', I need to acquire one or two first.

Stuart

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Cheers CC. The windscreen was very much usable until I tried to make it more so. As for the 'blue Chimay', I need to acquire one or two first.

Stuart

I'll save one or two for you in November !!

CC

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

Make that an Orval.

It's not only your carpet monster wich is a gourmet !!

Congrats Moa, even if i don't like it, Orval is a real great beer !!

You can actually find it in California ??

Stunned CC

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

It's not only your carpet monster wich is a gourmet !!

Congrats Moa, even if i don't like it, Orval is a real great beer !!

You can actually find it in California ??

Stunned CC

Yes we can, as it was famously said.

My older son is a brewer in Argentina, with several medals won already.

With the growth explosion of this field, there is so much to enjoy.  For every taste.

Myself I favor IPAs and Trappists. Cold, please, not like the ones I drank in England from the tap 🧐 (ducking and covering now)

• Haha 1

Beer was around long before methods of cooling it! The colder something is, the less we can taste it, which is why stuff like Coors lite has to be drunk ice cold!

However I have to agree that in some climates a warm beer is not particularly palatable!

Ian

• Like 3

Looks like they're going to start throwing chairs in the beer garden so just popping in through the hedge to say nice work Stuart on the replacement engine and those struts.

Off to buy a wine ice lolly now...

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Moa said:

Yes we can, as it was famously said.

My older son is a brewer in Argentina, with several medals won already.

With the growth explosion of this field, there is so much to enjoy.  For every taste.

Myself I favor IPAs and Trappists. Cold, please, not like the ones I drank in England from the tap 🧐 (ducking and covering now)

Of course !! Here we favor trappist at temperature of the cellar !!

cold but not chilled, it effectively kill the taste !!

Now i can be an heretic but if you try a wine of the Loire, a red wine, and serve it chilled...

Believe me !! it's tasty, now I will not even think about it with a Chassagne Montrachet obviously !!

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I rather fancy a Guiness sorbet....

I tried it in Ireland... It's less tasty than I was figuring it !!

Things we did in Ireland have been OVER classified.... For the sake of human being :rofl2:

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Never had a party on one of my threads before. :cheers::grouphug::party::penguin:🍾

Stuart

One more thing done Stuart !!

Let's try a Quadrupel Trappe on it !!

WP_20190604_22_11_43_Pro

And as it has been famously said part 2 !!

64568944_433519557428181_6962883671833444352_n

Sincerely.

CC :cheers:

• Like 2