Regarding the old Airfix EE Canberra Mk6 1/72 scale

RAGATIGER

Hi there

Well I just really started a couple of old Airfix Canberra Mk6, my intention is to do one as Argentine AF and the other as Australian AF at Vietnam. I sorely miss the past subject themes at my local plastic modeling club so I really have a long confusion about some subjects 

Image result for canberra 1/72

canberramk20bg48_47.jpg Image result for canberra 1/72 argentina

Lets start with the air intakes: do they really have to go out the intake line and also whats the common color of the intake??? To tell you the true I still have some other Canberras on the production line but A PR9 and a Mk8 vut still with conflicting issues about the cammo schemme

Other question is regarding the bomb bay, those Airfix kits include it but it also include a plastic beam so the kit bombs were attached on it, no able to see that beam on web photos and also there is a bomb 

Coming from CMK there is a detail set named PR9 bomb bay, is this one right also for a Mk6

click to close

But in this case no bomb beam included, also wondering if right I use british 1000 pounders coming from Hasegawa Harrier GT3 / Sea Harrier in 1/72 scale

Btw old Airfix wheels still been annoying me 

Best day

Armando

PS Please I just asking for all advices

• Like 2

Hi Armando 

The FAA had the B.62 which is just an upgraded of the B.2 the only external difference is a few aerials and intakes and the B.6 type wheel, if you take a look at the B.62 album on my site you will see what you need to add. B.62 album 

The RAAF Mk.20 started out as an identical copy of the British B.2 but by the time they were being used in Vietnam they had been modified to a standard close to the B.6 again take a look around the 3x Mk.20 album's Mk.20 MK,20 Mk.20.

As for the kit, as it comes the only thing if you are building it out of the box without correcting the issues with the nose profile is the engines, as they come there is no compressor disc detail at all, the best thing would be to make some F.O.D. guards. For the B.62 the starter cartage fairing will need shortening too. The seat's are horrendous and will need replacing. The bomb bay in the kit is too shallow and two dymentanal, the resin PR.9 although it looks good is too short for a bomber Canberra. You could get three of them chop them up and rejoin them together to the correct length! The one in the "new" Airfix B(I)8 is much better if you can get one. The bomb beam in the kit is fictitious, but given that it's quite a complex iteme it's not too surprising. I'm no expert on bombs but I don't think the Harrier ones would be right for the B.62 or Mk.20 again if you take a look on my site at this album you will find what you need Canberra & B.57 bomb and flair bays & things under wings 

I hope that helps and makes sense? Don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any more questions.  

John      

• Like 2

17 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Armando 

The FAA had the B.62 which is just an upgraded of the B.2 the only external difference is a few aerials and intakes and the B.6 type wheel, if you take a look at the B.62 album on my site you will see what you need to add. B.62 album 

The RAAF Mk.20 started out as an identical copy of the British B.2 but by the time they were being used in Vietnam they had been modified to a standard close to the B.6 again take a look around the 3x Mk.20 album's Mk.20 MK,20 Mk.20.

As for the kit, as it comes the only thing if you are building it out of the box without correcting the issues with the nose profile is the engines, as they come there is no compressor disc detail at all, the best thing would be to make some F.O.D. guards. For the B.62 the starter cartage fairing will need shortening too. The seat's are horrendous and will need replacing. The bomb bay in the kit is too shallow and two dymentanal, the resin PR.9 although it looks good is too short for a bomber Canberra. You could get three of them chop them up and rejoin them together to the correct length! The one in the "new" Airfix B(I)8 is much better if you can get one. The bomb beam in the kit is fictitious, but given that it's quite a complex iteme it's not too surprising. I'm no expert on bombs but I don't think the Harrier ones would be right for the B.62 or Mk.20 again if you take a look on my site at this album you will find what you need Canberra & B.57 bomb and flair bays & things under wings 

I hope that helps and makes sense? Don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any more questions.  

John      

I understand that Bombs loaded into to canberra bomb bays had special canberra specific tail units fitted.   I believe they were shorter in overall length and had smaller fins. because three triple carriers  with standard 1000lb bombs were too long to fit in the  bombay.

Selwyn 

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, draggie748 said:

Here are some good replacements for the Airfix Canberra engine fronts with either the triple breech system for later models or the earlier single breech type.

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-ee-canberra-avon-starters-and-fan-accessories-1-72/

Cheers

Phil

They do look useful Phil, the only thing is I suspect they won't fit the old Airfix B(I)6 as the nacelles are too narrow, By the looks of them I think it will fit the "New" Airfix B(I)8 tough.

John

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I understand that Bombs loaded into to canberra bomb bays had special canberra specific tail units fitted.   I believe they were shorter in overall length and had smaller fins. because three triple carriers  with standard 1000lb bombs were too long to fit in the  bombay.

Selwyn 

Thanks, that rings a bell too Selwyn.

John

5 hours ago, canberra kid said:

@RAGATIGER I've attached some B.62 bomb photos, perhaps @Selwyn can tell you what types they are?

peOzrs.jpg

peODen.jpg

peO4tJ.jpg

peO1lj.jpg

peOMW1.jpg

John

Don't know what is in the second picture down, and the ones at the front of the canberra in picture three, they are a bit indistinct to tell, all the others are British 1000lb with the short Canberra tails fitted.

Selwyn