• 6 years later...

Sorry to drag this old thread up again, but there is so much interesting info here.

Looking at my 1/32 FG.1 loadout at the moment and was originally just going to put the 2 'blue ballast'units in the front wells and then I realised the detail in the rear wells is pretty poor and thought about fitting eith 4 AIM7/Skyflash drill rounds or another pic I saw was the 2 ballast units in the front and 2 Skyflash drill rounds on the back.  Nothing on c/l

But the more I look it seems it wasnt a very common fit, as I only found 3 photo's

Thoughts?

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

Anything loaded to the rear stations would only usually be for air display static shows.

For day to day training purposes, "sim plugs" were fitted to the rear station missile umbilical connectors. These were basically shorting plugs to trick the MCS system into believing missiles were loaded. The crew could then carry out missile tuning and simulated firing at targets.

The plugs protruded into the recessed well preventing anything from being loaded.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Anything loaded to the rear stations would only usually be for air display static shows.

For day to day training purposes, "sim plugs" were fitted to the rear station missile umbilical connectors. These were basically shorting plugs to trick the MCS system into believing missiles were loaded. The crew could then carry out missile tuning and simulated firing at targets.

The plugs protruded into the recessed well preventing anything from being loaded.

Brilliant information! We’re the “sim plugs “ very big or noticeable if the station was empty?

Thanks again 

Anthony

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

We’re the “sim plugs “ very big or noticeable if the station was empty?

Not really for any model scale. They were approximately 3 inches in diameter and 2 inches in height.

Made from an umbilical wafer that was a medium green colour and then the wiring was sealed in a PRC disk that was brown.

It's shown in this AP diagram, to give you an idea against the size of the launcher.

spacer.png

Hope that helps.

Rob.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 2:05 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Not really for any model scale. They were approximately 3 inches in diameter and 2 inches in height.

Made from an umbilical wafer that was a medium green colour and then the wiring was sealed in a PRC disk that was brown.

It's shown in this AP diagram, to give you an idea against the size of the launcher.

spacer.png

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Thanks very much, I appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge. Very helpful and really interesting at the same time 

cheers Anthony 

• Like 1