Trumpeter BMP-1

11bravo

Always had a thing for the BMP-1.   It truly was revolutionary.  Introduced in the late 60's, it offered a full-spectrum IFV, giving it's crew the ability to fight at night, engage tanks, hard targets and troops from under-armor, also had full NBC protection.  Compare this to what US / NATO troops were using!

Anyway, this is the Trumpeter kit, which is very nice.  It's still missing a good number of details, which I replicated.  Also also used the SP Designs BMP-1P upgrade kit (new turret, corrected hatches, doors and a host of small parts) and their AT-5 ATGM.   I can't recommend their products highly enough.  Great detail and the price is incredibly low.  Also used Archer decals for my subject, a BMP used in Chechyna.  By rough count, I added / replaced approx 40 parts of the kit.  

During construction, showing some of the SP parts and some of my scratchbuilt details.

IMG_0007_zpsetnj2nxi.jpg

IMG_0034_zps2n5sept5.jpg

More construction, I added all the wiring to searchlights, headlights, etc.  Also scratchbuilt tool brackets along the hull roof.

IMG_0019_zpsv95cb0i6.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsh0kp0wrn.jpg

Some finished shots:

IMG_0085_zpslp8wk9iz.jpg

IMG_0090_zpsyvmhqbi7.jpg

IMG_0089_zpsvp0bs7ha.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsp7ebph1t.jpg

IMG_0087_zpsyhymsfhc.jpg

IMG_0086_zpsb5qvfygs.jpg

• Like 14

Nice model!

you are right the concept of the BMP was a good one!

There is one major flaw though,the fuel tanks are in the back doors! and not under armour turning the whole vehicle into a death trap for those inside.

Edited by ivan-o

5 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Nice model!

you are right the concept of the BMP was a good one!

There is one major flaw though,the fuel tanks are in the back doors! and not under armour turning the whole vehicle into a death trap for those inside.

I think I read on another site that when they went into combat, the fuel cells in the doors were supposed to be drained.   Keep in mind, the cell in the M113 was mounted inside the troop compartment, adjacent to the ramp, so I'm not sure the US APC was any safer in this regards.

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Super looking build - and really nicely finished - I think the weathering is spot on.

That inspires me to start my BMP-2;)

Rob

Thanks Rob!  I'm on the fence about the weathering.   I find overall green finishes are the hardest to weather.  I may have overdone it but the pics I saw of other BMP's from the same unit in Chechnya showed them to be pretty filthy.   I may take a crack at the -2 next.   I've got the SP Designs update set and the best part is that the Trumpeter BMP-2 kit has "rubber band" style tracks, not the individual links as on the -1.   Those links were the worst part of the entire project.

John

And Thank you John - I'd not heard about SP Designs before - I looked up Sergej's site - very interesting.  I rather feel that there'll be an Update set winging it's way.

I've got some MasterClub tracks that I'm going to try, thought he rubber band tracks ARE nicely detailed

Rob

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

And Thank you John - I'd not heard about SP Designs before - I looked up Sergej's site - very interesting.  I rather feel that there'll be an Update set winging it's way.

I've got some MasterClub tracks that I'm going to try, thought he rubber band tracks ARE nicely detailed

Rob

I can't speak highly enough of SP Designs.  I received everything ordered within two weeks maximum.   The quality is first rate (plus, no one else offers these subjects) and the price is crazy.  I think the BMP-1 upgrade kit came with a new turret, smoke discharges, fuel filler port, air intake vent cover, rear doors and overhead troop doors, hatches and searchlights.  All of these parts replace incorrect ones on the Trumpy kit and the total cost was $6.70!!  If any other outfit offered a kit like this, it would be $30 or more.  

http://modelsua.com/BMP-1-correction-and-detail-set-turret-troop-hatches-and-doors-etc.-1-35-SP-Designs-308.html

Really can't go wrong with his stuff.  

I've got the BMP-2 late turret (with the anti-radiation foam panels) and correction set, I'll probably do a cold-war war BMP-2 next.  

Edited by 11bravo

not sure how I missed this initially ? but great looking build . I have one of these in the stash with a bunch of SP goodies too (I agree they're truly excellent expecially for the price) 

I really like the subtle weathering superb build sir !