Zvesda Airbus A-320 #3

This will be my 3rd attempt for this GB (hope I am not being cocky after doing 3 in the Helicopter GB!). This is the zvesda version and looking at it, it looks very sweet. It comes with separate flaps and slats and openable doors with a smattering of internal detail. I don't know how to model it yet but I am tempted to go with everything open and deployed. I know it would be an unrealistic look but maybe i'll chuck in a bit of maintenance going on as well. I am going to opt for the silver/blue Aeroflot box scheme to go along with my TU-154. Here is the kit, I ditched the outer boxing ages ago so no box top photo.

100_4516_zpsc6ybbgr6.jpg

100_4517_zpsuz9y6fej.jpg

and a little closer look at the internal and finer detail

100_4518_zpsylocefzp.jpg

100_4519_zpsy99tg9qd.jpg

I have stated before about the 'pantsness' of zvesda decals but these do look different. Luckily a kind fellow sent me an extra set of kit decals that they weren't going to use ( Cheers MikeW!) so I will use them to test out the kit offerings on my designated test bed and let you know how that goes. Looking to start this one a bit later so expect this one to languish at the bottom for ages!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good day all, well its time to drag this one off the bottom of the forum. I have had a go at building up the interior, there is quite a bit of detail there for the scale but I have just given it an 'impressionist' coat of paint to show a little interest in there. I also fitted the cabin windows but as I am going to use an aftermarket decal sheet with printed windows I then filled the outside to smooth it all off. So not a massive amount of progress but we are underway!

100_4588_zpshgakzhh3.jpg

100_4591_zpshmty7glx.jpg

I have a Bra.z decal sheet for this one which was on sale. It is the kit scheme but I am hoping that they AM decals are a lot better than Zvesda and the Bra.Z come with windows so that makes things a lot easier.

Until next time

Bob

Edit: Just a quick question, do Airbusses (or Airbii?) have lap straps for the pilots or a 4/5 point harness?

Edited by moaning dolphin

Edit: Just a quick question, do Airbusses (or Airbii?) have lap straps for the pilots or a 4/5 point harness?

It's a harness. Know for a fact it's 5 points in the jumpseats, might be four in the seats up front, not sure. Just checked, and its definitely five, although there are a few images of seats with the inbetween-the-legs strap removed - perhaps depends on the airline, although Aeroflot definitely has all five.

Edited by POTKC
  • Like 1

Very nice!

Always wanted to have the Zvesda A320, everytime I see it for sale I end up buying something else!

Looking at the picture through the bag, the decals look quite good actually, if they are shoddy could get some other Aeroflot one's instead, maybe one of the specials?

Looking forward to seeing it's progress though!

• Like 1

Very nice!

Always wanted to have the Zvesda A320, everytime I see it for sale I end up buying something else!

Looking at the picture through the bag, the decals look quite good actually, if they are shoddy could get some other Aeroflot one's instead, maybe one of the specials?

Looking forward to seeing it's progress though!

I did manage to get an extra set, and to be honest they do actually look a lot better than the usual Zvesda fare, at least they are printed much more crisply! As I said I have a Bra.Z set of the same scheme coming because it was cheap and had windows, but I may end up using a combination of the two.

Bob

It's a harness. Know for a fact it's 5 points in the jumpseats, might be four in the seats up front, not sure. Just checked, and its definitely five, although there are a few images of seats with the inbetween-the-legs strap removed - perhaps depends on the airline, although Aeroflot definitely has all five.

• Like 1

Welcome along everyone! Just a small update aas I took a small break from decaling the Embraer. I finished the cockpit plug apart from harnesses. I think for this scale I may use black thread to give a more realistic scale size. Once the plag was in place I then fitted a bit of nose weight. I have some lead balls ( :analintruder: ) that I mix with some PVA and then position as shown.

100_4600_zpseh0lrhce.jpg

I know others have had problems with doing ballast this way but I have done it like this for years and not had a problem. I don't pack it out too densly so there is room for expansion. The biggest problem is sometimes a ball comes loose and rattles around a bit, or I pick it up and a small ball drops out of a recess somewhere! After this the fuselage was joined and this is where I am at now.

100_4604_zpsntskfxix.jpg

There are a couple of spots around the fuselage where the glue hasn't bonded too well and I have had to try and run a line of liquid poly into there and flex it carefully to get glue to flow into the joint. The old capilliary method technique. Next will be more construction, as I said before I am doing this with everything deployed in a maintenance scenario type thing just to add a bit of interest.

Until then

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So it has been a bit of time since I had anything going on on this. I have now fitted the canopy, This is very clear and very thin! but luckily it is quite flexible which is just as well because when I initially tacked it in.....

20160817_182153_1471527763016_resized_zp

The sides wanted to splay outwards, however a little bit of persuation was applied and it fitted not to badly

20160817_182313_1471527762059_resized_zp

It did require a touch of filler to blend it in

20160818_192442_zpsqutnhz9d.jpg

It looks a lot but I did go overboard slightly, it was also at this stage I decided to go for the decal option for the canopy as opposed to trying to keep the windows clear. So I was no longer interested in clear windows, just as well looking at the post rub down pictures.

20160821_204906_zpshq4hbdry.jpg

20160821_204855_zpscz8mjss6.jpg

I am also going to close up the cabin door and model it in a take off attitude as it will then free up a bit of space on the display shelf. Eagled eyed viewers will notice the wings are also now on, despite some shocking fit issues! I fitted the wings and it left this huge gap!

20160818_170143_zps1t7uybfm.jpg

UNBUILDABLE!!!!! So I had a dose of Man Up, filled it and all was well :winkgrin:

20160818_192713_zpsjds63g24.jpg

Filler was also required under the wings where the lower wing meets the upper. I have found this on all Zvesda airliners I have built so far (3) but its not a biggie. Just mask off right against the join, fill and rub down.

20160818_170149_zpsrp5hrean.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So a bit of work has continued on this. I have assembled the engines (minus the intake ring) and they do fit together very nicely. I haven't had to do any more work on them so far. The only issue was the intake seam. Although a ring is provided there is still a couple of joins in the intake which need cleaning up. I did much prefer Revels approach where they provide the intake trunking as a single piece, but hey ho we shall just adapt and over come. The seams aren't very clear in this photo but here are then engines

20160818_194328_zps50qcharm.jpg

I like to drill holes in parts and stick them to plastic rod as it makes the handling a lot easier. Here is a better look at the intake

20160820_131626_zpssvbxhpn1.jpg

I then looked at the wings and tried fitting the slats, here I found another HUGE! error from Zvesda.....all right it was just a mere inconvenience! This area of the wing where the inner and outer slats are split by the engine didn't quite match

20160901_183637_zpsdnf2yr8r.jpg

That little lip appears on the starboard wing but not the port

20160901_183700_zpsvniarzmb.jpg

So it was a quick case of just whittling down that area so the slats could fit

20160901_183936_zpsaqygcsgl.jpg

With the slats able to fit, they were left off for painting. You can also see the flaps have been fitted but I haven't taken any photos of that area yet, they will follow soon. The flaps did fit well enough but once dried they seem to be slightly protruding more on one side that the other. Not enough to ruin the look of the whole thing but something to be aware of and take time over.

So now she is sat primed and waiting for a top coat. The weather here in Nova Scotia is very humid at the moment and as I am trying out my new airbrush I want the humidity to drop a bit further first. Hopefully get some more paint on this week end.

Until then, Laters!

Bob

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

More progress is abound. I have now primed, sprayed and glossed ready for dealing.  I then cracked on with dealing and forgot to take interim photos.  So here we are at the moment.

20161016_171634_zpsgaops5c3.jpg

20161016_171643_zps14i9yqzg.jpg

The engines were also assembled and sprayed. I wasn't sure what colour the intakes should be so opted for blue. Probably not correct but hey ho it'll do for now. The stand was assembled and chromed.

20161016_171550_zpsllwvec29.jpg

Now just need to fit a load of anciliaries and decal the engines and I should be there.

Bob

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, POTKC said:

I guess it's too late to fix, but the blue should be substantially darker...

http://samolets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/airbus-a320-aeroflot.jpg

You are correct. I was going to mention it in the text but forgot. I only had a French Blue available and with no immediate trip to the model shop I opted for a lighter version. The photographs are a little bleached but it does still look light. But hey ho I am using 'Artistic license :D' on this one!

Edit:I also think the cheat line should be more of an orange than Braz red version but like I said artistic license ;)

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Additional info
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I am knocking this on the head now. I think all is complete.  It is a nice kit and goes together very well but for me it's a bit too fiddly with too much fine detail (if there can be such a thing!) And the final slog seemed to just go on. Would I recommend it .... Oh yes, would I buy another ...... Probably not. But I am glad it's out the stash and on the shelf. Here she is.......

20161117_190203_zpsrumkekoy.jpg

20161117_190213_zps4gi7y7pr.jpg

20161117_190248_zps3plaoefe.jpg

20161117_190303_zpsacc0oy79.jpg

Coming into land, but not sure of the angle!

20161117_190343_zpsm92rspyz.jpg

And with her sisters, quite a successful group build.

20161117_190552_zpsdwkqvdvc.jpg

And with my civil collection :D

20161117_190654_zpsw3nmspwk.jpg

Thanks for dropping in!

• Like 4