RAF F-4 Phantom - Alcock and Brown [Update 13/04 - Decal Disaster]

Breaker

René, I've just had a conversation with the current owner. Those decals are really old (1998 vintage potentially!) so might be a bit suspect.

If you could scan the sheets and send me a copy, i'd appreciate it greatly!

Hello,Breaker - You've made a magnificent job of this build and I'm so sorry that you've hit this snag.Dare I ask what Paint and Decal Solution System you used? I use Xtracolor Enamel > Johnsons Klear > Decal Application with MicroSet and MicroSol > Johnsons Klear and finally Xtracolor Enamel Varnish.

I've often found,for example,that Xtradecal Stripe is a tough cookie to deal with around more curved areas and has needed a few shots of the MicroSol before it would behave.Johnsons Klear can also give that little extra 'pull' if need be.

Wishing you restored success with this build.

All the very best,Paul.

Edited by mcdonnell

So I can't recommend CAM decals at all. They don't seem to be able to conform to compound curves at all and any attempt to manipulate them results in them snapping.

IMG_20160413_091054_zps2zot1kbo.jpg

IMG_20160413_091058_zpsoch96c2s.jpg

I've followed the directions to the letter provided by CAM. They confirm lovely where there's only a slight curve like the main body of the external tank or the cockpit sidewalls but as soon as you throw the tapering areas in such as the nose or the tip of the tank, they won't bend and just break.

Not happy at all as this will leave me right in limbo. Having to consider masking and spraying all of the main markings now which will add so many more hours onto this build!

I had the same problem with the 1/72 scale version of these decals, I found that the only way I could get then to bed down onto compound curves was to give the decal a light spray with Humbrol acrylic satin varnish spray. A light spray softens the decal and bonds it to the paint - a very light spray!

• Like 1

René, I've just had a conversation with the current owner. Those decals are really old (1998 vintage potentially!) so might be a bit suspect.

If you could scan the sheets and send me a copy, i'd appreciate it greatly!

I will try to do so tonight and send you a PM with a link to my dropbox where I will save the scan to. I suppose attaching a file to a PM will not work here and the Dropbox will not complain about file size either. Any preferences regarding resolution? I usually scan my decals with 600 dpi.

By the way - I use Mr Mark Softener which works great on most stuborn decals that I ever had the "joy" to meet - including those awful decals which Italeri had in the eighties and nineties. Only Roden decals for a Junkers J1 were completely unimpressed.

René

Edit: PM sent with link

Edited by Caerbannog