1/48 Airfix DeH Sea Vixen - RFI!

Started this a while back, decided to start a thread. Been too hot and heavyfevery for me to enjoy modelling that much at the moment so it's going to be a slow build. Will be using a Eduard PE Seatbelt set I've got and the rest will be from the box.

Thanks to Crisp (Ex-FAAWAFU) for answering my questions as I've been watching his thread!

I've got all the subassemblies done and cleaned up for paint.

IMG_20150628_162413_zpsn5shk66w.jpg

Work began on the cockpit

Started with a black coat then dark grey over the top. A dry brush of medium grey to start popping details out.

IMG_20150629_095127_zpsdiftp6kn.jpg

THen some true black for screens and dials.

IMG_20150704_152340_zpst2ikjmu8.jpg

And the beginnings of some colour and switches highlighted. Needles picked out in white.

IMG_20150704_152415_zpstat5msrr.jpg

• Like 11

Nice start on the cockpit; if you want to adcd any more colour to break it all up, the two gauges immediately above the throttle quadrant were for the yellow and blue hydraulic systems (yellow inboard, blue next to the cockpit wall), and had coloured surrounds to the gauges to match.

• Like 1

IMG_20150707_174640_zpsffixs1qb.jpg

Seat is in, and PE'd up. I haven't bothered using PE on the Nav's seat, the hatch is going to be shut and I can use the PE on something else then, maybe my Lightning at some point.

Crisp, note the blue and yellow gauges! :)

• Like 6

Been moving on with this one. I'd love to finish it off like this, make it a flying wing type thing!

IMG_20150714_131140_zpsechnkvh9.jpg

IMG_20150714_131154_zpsvldnheuh.jpg

Couldn't get the port side to line up nicely at the front - I think glueing the cockpit on all round was a mistake, might of been easier if i'd left the port side loose, allowing more movement in the fuselage. Ended up using CA as a filler, built it up in lines like I would welding and it allowed me to restore the shape!

Next job will be filling the gaps where the flaps join the upper wing and doing something about the 'gap' that occurs on the inboard side of the air intakes.

• Like 2

Do some dry fitting first; it looks as though there is a big gap inboard of the intakes, but I found that when the two pieces (front of intake itself, and the semi-circular-ish plate along the fuselage side)were fitted it all works nicely. I can't help with the other stuff, though, because mine is a different (FAW1) nose.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Top work so far , this is a kit a started with afternot modeling for over 20 odd years and I made a right pig of it keep meaning to do dit again but cant ssem to face it so will be following this one with interest

This is the gap I was referring to before -

IMG_20150715_011311_zpssg86qqt2.jpg

TO get round it, I started shaping a blanking plate up with some styrene sheet.

IMG_20150715_011231_zpsbhmprhpl.jpg

Bit of filler and sanding later and...

IMG_20150715_123648_zpsl9axnnjh.jpg

IMG_20150715_123708_zpsg5uwtzin.jpg

No more gap, no more seam line! I'll probably give it all a coat of Mr S 1000 and sand it to clear up any imperfections but it's a lot better than before!

Next up will be the flaps.

They look like this -

IMG_20150715_130226_zpsmkiuudyg.jpg

and it should look like this -

svix57b_zpsvzrtilkp.jpg

Image from D Burke, thunderandlightnings.co.uk, accessed 15/07/2015, used for creative purposes.

Planning to just fill the void entirely with CA then sand and rescribe the line and hinges in.

• Like 1

IMG_20150717_131854_zpscs1cdlzo.jpg

Update. Booms and fences are on. I've left the nose off for now, I'm going to mock it up shortly with the wheels on so I can get the weight correct in the nose.

Still got the flying surfaces to sort as the bottom ones are a NIGHTMARE to get a good fit on in the closed position. Once that's all done, it's seam busting then painting time.

• Like 3

Made a lot more progress! Building is nearly done. Nose is on, Nav's canopy is sorted, most of the seams I can see without primer have been dealt with using a mix of plasticard, deluxe putty and CA.

IMG_20150720_203912_zpslqurq5ca.jpg

IMG_20150720_204029_zpsz2qizvcc.jpg

These have been a nightmare compared to the rest of the build to get right.

IMG_20150720_204107_zpsdblqvhsf.jpg

I've used CA to blend them in so the gaps aren't really there. I ended up cutting the flap in half to work on one side at a time, got it as good as it was going to get with plastic cement, let it to dry then used CA to fill and blend. Still a lot of work to do though to get the flaps and flying surfaces to acceptable level.

• Like 3

IMG_20150722_145255_zpsfqmuyh82.jpg

Quite like how the lights have come out. Can see how I dealt with the upper surfaces as well. Filled the gap with card and then Mr Surfacer to get the small gaps.

... It worked too well!

IMG_20150723_183648_zpsuewrwkvv.jpg

Little rescribe job to do once the primer has set.

Top surface in primer!

IMG_20150723_184240_zpswbei52us.jpg

Underside still to do and some work is needed on the tops of the booms, they're looking a little rough at the moment. Awkward join to sand well.

• Like 6

You tell me what he can Observe from in there and I'll do it! :P

His radar. Lookers who can see out of the window are dangerous. Ask me how I know...

Besides, you tell me how he can Navigate by looking at the sea for 2 hours... ;-)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

His radar. Lookers who can see out of the window are dangerous. Ask me how I know...

Besides, you tell me how he can Navigate by looking at the sea for 2 hours... ;-)

Water below me, good. Water above me, bad! :P

Little update without photos, I've Mr. Surfaced all of the little imperfections and I've tidied up some crappy sanding spots. Couple of lines to rescribe and I should be onto colour painting tomorrow!

Anyone got any good photos of a Vixen with dirty undersides for reference?

• Like 1

Water below me, good. Water above me, bad! :P

That's pilot stuff (& you've just given away half of my flying technique!)

How many imperfections are you finding, as a matter of interest? I am now close to the main prime & paint stage and I am finding loads, but I strongly suspect 90% of them are because I've been ham fisted at various times during the conversion to FAW1.

How many imperfections are you finding, as a matter of interest? I am now close to the main prime & paint stage and I am finding loads, but I strongly suspect 90% of them are because I've been ham fisted at various times during the conversion to FAW1.

There's only a couple from the kit, there are sink marks present from where the wing locating slots are but I'm not doing anything with them, it's stressed metal if anyone asks. The speed brake door has some nasty sink marks around the central bulge.

The rest are of my making, just where I've been aggressive with sanding and forgotten to smooth it out or where I've used CA as filler and I couldn't see the edges until there was a coat of paint on top.

• Like 1