Printable Seatbelts?

Unkempt

(Wasn't really sure where to post this, hope this is OK)

I was just about to paint up some more Tamiya tape seatbelts when it occurred to me that there ought to be a set of templates for various types and scales that could be printed out on a computer printer and then cut out and maybe varnished or otherwise finished. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? It'd be a good cheap alternative to PE for those of us who are too poor/tight/PE-phobic for those.

• Like 1

Never thought of that so just did a google on ww2 fighter seatbelts.... dozens of them, easy to screen capture and print to scale. BUT, companies make PE belts for sale and its a kind of moral dilema, same as decals really so,if it helps your budget OK. I sometimes make my own water slide decals for a particular pilots aircraft that cant be done any other way, for example I will soon be doing a Camel, most common one is BITE EM ( a 213 Squadron ) but I want to do one of their pilots mount and he had Phylis on the side but just cant find them so will find the font, type Phylis, reduce to scale and make my own decal.

I wouldn't copy any existing product (e.g. someone else's PE), or decals for that matter, but I would consider copying a picture of a harness and cutting it out. Something to keep in mind if you want to try is that most of the images, by the time you shrink them enough for 1/72 scale, will have lost so much detail and contrast they aren't much better than tape. And that's before you think about the quality of a lot of home printers! Mine is pretty ropey.

I think the best solution if you won't buy a PE product, won't do a full scratchbuild and want something more than tape is to use paper and paint/ink the details on to provide a trompe l'oeil effect.

Well, obviously I could make my own, I was just wondering if there was a site out there that had a bunch of different country/era types already organised that you could just download. I know I've seen similar things for airports and landing fields - this place has some, for example. As for quality - I dunno? I might have to try it and see.

Fully understand why the ebay image link was remove, I should have known better.

----------------------------------------------------

I don't know of any online resource where you can download seatbelt illustrations for the purpose of printing your own. Same reason decals in general are not provided in this manner, it would be a huge $$ loss for the person/company that did the research and original artwork, particularly if they offered it as a free download.

regards,

Jack

If you are PE-phobic (like me) rather than poor, I have had success with these....

https://www.redroomodels.com/wako-creative/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955293-gladiators-in-ww2-old-and-new-airfix/

Eduard do something similar. I have decal-printed them on an Alps (they were okay rather than excellent) but I think Mitch K is right that most printers aren't up to the job.

• 9 months later...

If you are PE-phobic (like me) rather than poor, I have had success with these....

https://www.redroomodels.com/wako-creative/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955293-gladiators-in-ww2-old-and-new-airfix/

Eduard do something similar. I have decal-printed them on an Alps (they were okay rather than excellent) but I think Mitch K is right that most printers aren't up to the job.

I'm just wondering if those Wako seatbelts are actual fabric with PE buckles, or other kind of materials.

Do they have to be assembled first or you can just stick them to the seats?

I also found a different kind of seatbelts using flexible plastic (from what I saw it's ABS) made by FineMolds in this link (https://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist/?SeriesID=5283). Anyone has experience?

"PE-phobic" describes me rather well!

I recently put a set of Eduard's "Super Fabric" belts in their 1/72 Fw190A-8 kit, and was pretty happy with them. They are made of a thin flexible material that you peel off the backing sheet and attach with white glue. Each belt is a single piece with all buckles etc. in place, and have a degree of "3D-ness" to them. They are easy to fold and pose realistically.

As you can see, they are actually made by HGW (which offers similar products under their own name), and two sets are typically supplied so the price is not too bad. As an added bonus, the border around the belts is the same material, and the same color and width as the belts themselves. You could combine this with separate PE buckles to create additional units.

That being said, I felt the color and detail of the PE belts supplied with the "ProfiPack" version of this kit were superior. But my ageing eyes and hands would have been hard-pressed to get them into place more effectively.

5B552A95-7ABD-4626-9713-BD485046E44D_zps

AB44370E-A108-45F5-8A7A-A4891EE98CFC_zps

Edited by MDriskill

Hello all!

I have used this technique: First find a proper photo showing the seat belts. Then measure the seat in the kit to find out exact measurements. Scale up the measurements and draw the seat belts / harness using crayons and a marker pen. Use a photocopier and scale down to correct size.

Here you can find seat belts that I made for my Canberra's Mk 1C seat. Sorry about the picture quality but I hope you see the idea :)

http://www.pienoismallit.net/profiilit/1498/kuvat/kuvapankki/kuva_121439/

I am currently drawing the seat belts for a Gloster Javelin FAW.9.

Best Regards,

Antti