I'm in with this to be built as an F-86D-35NA 51-8322 of the 37th FIS based out of Ethan Allen AFB in Vermont. This machine was lost on 06/11/1954.

37th01_zpsf74f51c2.jpg

I've had this one so long ago and never opened it, I found it had a 2001 revell new release catalogue in it.

37th03_zps702d7c1f.jpg

The decals are by Superscale, but misname the unit as the 35th FIS.

I'll not be starting her just yet as I'm finishing a MiG 21 that wasn't in time for the MiG21 GB but this one will be finished.

• 2 weeks later...

With the MiG finished i have a bit of time to make a start on the Dog. Nothing too exciting but some modification is needed to the tail.

I understand Revell measured a machine in the USA Museum which had the very early tail and is therefore not correct for the majority of Dogs built, especially the one I am building being Block 35, which was the last one built without the parabrake housing..

Happily, the modification is very simple.

37th04_zpsd0de6a6f.jpg

All that is needed is to remove the excess of the trim tab and then fill the engraved line. The photo shows what needs to be done.

I've made some more progress yesterday evening and this morning, whilst trying to look after the children on this endless summer holiday.

Firstly here is the cockpit OOB with the belts replaced.

37th05_zpsf748e370.jpg

Then here are the bits that make up the rest of the cockpit.

37th06_zps1582a733.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the fuselage buttoned p later today or over the weekend.

• Like 2

More progress last night and this morning. The only problem is lining up the various internals to avoid the fuselage halves not closing.

All the major assemblies are ready so just waiting for the fuselage to dry.

37th07_zpseb0eeda5.jpg

More soon I hope.

Just a quick update. The undercarriage and canopy are tacked on with pva and the whole machine is in its primer coat.

37th09_zps6267f5d7.jpg

Just a little more cleaning up to do and then it's onto painting. I'm away next week and family commitments are calling for the rest of this so I don't expect much progress for a while.

• Like 1

Nice - enjoy the break, great progress so far! Mine has just had the photos taken and Ive primed some of the cockpit parts etc - you're miles ahead!

Nice looking Dog!

I managed to squeeze a bit more in before we leave, I painted the radome, and the darker patch around the tail pipe. Both were masked and then I sprayed on the Olive Drab anti dazzle panel.

37th10_zps71a4759a.jpg

Thats it until September.

• Like 3

Ok so I lied, I managed to get the first coat of paint on. I used Humbrol 56 aluminium the first of the three colours (Hu56,HU11 and tamiya AS11) I use to get that patchwork natural metal look these planes need.

I.m not sure a photo of a heavily masked Dog is worth posting:)

• Like 1

One week and four modelling sessions have enabled me to put 96 of the 178 tiny stencils on. Another week before I start adding the big stuff then the unit markings. Not worth photographing as from a distance it looks just like the last picture as each stencil is only 2 or 3mm square at most.

• Like 1

Four more modelling sessions and an broken broadband later.

37th15_zpsff6c4dc6.jpg

The stencilling is on and so are the National markings. I guess this how it was delivered to the unit( ok yes it would also have its serial numbers as well). So time now for the fun markings!

• Like 2

I've finished decalling, the Superscale markings when on really nicely, just one decal cracked but I managed to save it.

37th16_zps0c456a44.jpg

I've added the wing slats, so I'm down to the finally push towards completion. Maybe with plenty of time to go I can start another one!

37th17_zpsc1c66da6.jpg

• Like 2