1/32 Rolls Royce Merlin engine - help?

Flying Badger

Hi,

been away with work and visiting my folks and was unable to work on what is on my bench back home... so as I was in Cornwall I stopped off at Trago Mills to see what they had.

Ended up buying a 1/32 De Havilland Mosquito (B Mk. IV) which I plan to convert to an FB Mk.VI (NS993 617sqdn RAF) once I get finished with the lightning......

Now I've got hold of a Mk VI nose, Guns, canopy and Seatbelt set and I'm happy to scratch build the cockpit etc. but I've never built in 1/32 scale before (never gone above 1/72!) and I want to make this a bit special when I get to it.....

So as my granddad was RAF Air Maintenance Corps and after the war worked for Armstrong Siddley aero-engines then onto Rolls Royce I thought I'd build a dio of NS993 undergoing Maintenance around the time of D-Day with an RAF AMC bloke working on an engine.

Looked in the box and the "detailed" merlin Revell claim to include is a bit like a tractor engine rather than a lean mean speed machine.... so I want to improve on this. Also the B Mk.IV had earlier Merlins and my FB Mk.VI NS993 had merlin Mk.25 engines with the single stage but two speed compressor.

Does anyone know of a good 1/32 scale merlin?

Anyone still got the engine sprues from the excellent Tamiya spitfire VIII or IX that they don't want and would be willing to sell me? (I know it's a later 2 stage compressor engine in those but I can deal with that).

Even some good quality dimensional drawings might do so that I can 3D model it up in CAD and then get some masters printed that can later be cast in resin.

Any pointers gratefully received....

Needless to say there will be a WIP for this beast once I get to it (and finally get the Lightning finished).

AND its 1/72scale, not 1/32...

By the roast,so it is !!!!!.

I typed in 1/32nd into google too.

Looks like our man is either going to have to go with the ancient kit offering

or wheedle a Tam.Spit 66/266 out of someone somehow.

Give the Hobby Company a call - 01908 209480 - they are the importers for Tamiya UK.

I've just ordered sprues H, X and Y from the Tamiya 1/32nd Spitfire MkIXc for my 1/32nd Halifax project. These sprues give you the engine bearers and engine, as well as a few other pipes and hydraulics etc. Like you, I'll need to backdate the engine to a Merlin XXII but it's a great starting point.

All three sprues incl. postage came to £18.

Hope that helps,

Tom

hi Tom..... I didn’t know that. That’s really useful to know... will give it a go.

Jerry. Engines & Things were the only option I found online when I was searching but haven’t had a response to my email of a week ago so assumed it was a defunct company. will try again and see although

thanks everyone for the help.

Hi

Yeah it took a while for me to get a reply,but the e mail from linda said eveything is still available.

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

hi jerry,

no idea to be honest. Since I'm converting it from the Mk.IV with the bomber style V windscreen to the mk.VI fighter with the flat screen, I've bought a vac form fighter canopy so haven’t paid much attention to the supplied ones.

from what I’ve read others say it is the same so I'd guess it has not been changed.

FB

The kit is a straight re-issue but with new transfers. The 627 squadron option looks very tempting.

Hi

Thanks for the info, In that case i will stick with my old issues of the kit.

cheers

jerry

Looked in the box and the "detailed" merlin Revell claim to include is a bit like a tractor engine rather than a lean mean speed machine.... so I want to improve on this. Also the B Mk.IV had earlier Merlins and my FB Mk.VI NS993 had merlin Mk.25 engines with the single stage but two speed compressor.

For the record, the B.IV and FB.VI have effectively the same engines, and in many cases exactly the same engines (Merlin 21 and 23). All the B-IV, NF.II, T.III and FB.VI family use Merlin 20-series, with single-stage, two speed superchargers, and they really are extremely similar for modelling purposes.

However I appreciate this does not solve the problem that the Revell engine is a fairly poor representation of the Merlin regardless of mark.

If you want to go to the N'th degree for your own satisfaction (and why not if you have the patience?) then you might want to drop a PM to some of the contributors on this thread, who discusses the very minor variations for the purposes of the Airfix 1/24 kit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52615-124-mosquito-merlin/

Edited by Work In Progress

hi WIP

NS993 was a late mkVI built at Hatfield and had Merlin 25 engines, which are also single stage, dual speed compressor versions.

thanks for the link, i am planning on going OTT on the engine, just for the fun of it.