Italeri 1/72 Ju87 B2 Stuka

I think the Revell kit uses Italeri moulds.....Don't make the mistake of buying a Revell 1/72 Ju-87G. :shutup:

The Italeri D & G are splendid kits, the latter especially as the landing gear has the spats removed. :pipe:

This afternoon's work on the Stuka; I have fixed the machine gun in the rear part of the canopy with a dab of Clearfix, and also assembled the bomb that will sit under the centre of the Stuka:

P1020976_zpse0eef224.jpg

I have also applied the filler to the gaps; they are mainly along the wing roots, and the nose and engine assembly:

P1020970_zpsf2a60cf9.jpg

P1020972_zpsabadee95.jpg

P1020975_zps1e0c74fe.jpg

After a few days of sanding and adding more filler, I am now happy with the bodywork. It took a few applications of filler to get right; the main areas were the wing joins, but the nose/engine area also needed a bit of work to lose the gaps in the plastic. I also smoothed over the seam lines on the wheel spats, and the fuselage joins. I have a nice, smooth Stuka now:

P1020978_zps89d289c8.jpg

P1020981_zpsecbf0887.jpg

P1020989_zps1cf1271a.jpg

P1020990_zps4a3237ff.jpg

I have just gone over the plastic with water and a cotton bud to remove the dust, and waiting for it to dry. After that, I will add the canopy and the other delicate parts...

This afternoon I have fitted the smaller delicate parts; starting with the fences on the end of the elevators:

P1020991_zps16f109cb.jpg

A small intake on the starboard side of the engine:

P1020994_zps12b44ac0.jpg

Airbrakes on the underside of the wings:

P1030005_zps1f7e59d7.jpg

The counter-weights under the ailerons, two on each side:

P1030010_zpsecd2a11c.jpg

Two probes on the underside of the fuselage:

P1030016_zps9cc1f991.jpg

Machine gun ports on each wing leading edge:

P1030003_zpsf6389f43.jpg

And a longer probe on the starboard wing:

P1030024_zps5c85a905.jpg

I will have to be very careful not to break some of these off when it comes to painting...

Edited by Phil1503

This afternoon, I have fitted the siren replacements to the undecarriage spats; a bit of research as told me that the sirens were removed from Stukas by the Battle of Britain, due to the increased drag of having them fitted. With the Stika struggling against the Spitfire and Hurricane, the sirens were not fitted, and the fixing was smoothed over. The Italeri kit has some sirens as an option, but I chose not to use them:

P1030033_zps40565147.jpg

I have also added the canopy; the two end parts were fine to fit, but the centre section required some filing to fit in the closed position:

P1030034_zps6edd0711.jpg

Just the prop and the bombs to fit now, but I will paint those seperately and add them at the end. I'm ready to start the main paintwork now...

Edited by Phil1503

I decided to fill in the holes that I had made earlier in the lower wing, as they were too big and not aligned corrrectly in relation to the panel lines. A bit annoying, as I drilled them following the pilot holes already made in the plastic. A touch of filler and sanding levelled out the surface again; I will add the under-wing bombs in the correct place but without the locator pins:

P1030035_zps2c69a2dd.jpg

Started the paintwork now; an initial thinned coat of humbrol enamel 65 on all of the underside surfaces:

P1030038_zpse60cefab.jpg

Looking brilliant! I unfortunately managed to lose one of the elevator struts(?) on my stuka, so I'm currently very envious of your intact model :(

Keep up the great work Phil

Ben

This afternoon's work on the Stuka; I have masked off the areas of the undersides that will remain 65 blue:

P1030042_zps0c71fd8e.jpg

And then the topside has been given a thin coat of Humbrol 241 (RLM 70 Schwarzgrun):

P1030044_zpsb6c5fa62.jpg

Hi

Really great build so far.

Just wondering how you are finding the Humbrol RLM colours and what ratio you thin them?

Cheers

Thanks,

The humbrol RLM colours are fine, I think, The RLM 02 for the cockpit was nice to paint, and It's good to know I a using proper colours rather than approximate matches.

For thinning, I am not sure of the ratios I use...I put 4 or 5 brushloads of paint into the litte plastic pot, then add a few drops of thinner using a bit of drinking straw. I mix it, and then test the consistency by painting the side of the plastic pot. I try to get something the same as milk. Some paints require more thinner, some less.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished painting the first camo colour; It took a while due to a couple of issues...firstly, after a couple of coats of the Humbrol 241 (RLM 70), I thought it looked too dark. I checked the Italeri instructions with the Airfix instructions, and noticed that Italeri had got the RLM numbers mixed up on the instructions. I had intended to paint the lighter colour first, which is actually RLM 71.

I decided to carry on, and do the dark green first. After a few coats, I couldn't seem to get a good finish with the Humbrol 241. It kept drying with lots of pale brush marks and streaks showing. I decided to ditch the 241 and have a go with some Humbrol 91 instead. A couple of coats, and I finally have a decent finish. A bit of hassle, but not too much of a setback.

Here is the Stuka with the finished Humbrol 91:

P1030060_zps4438551a.jpg

And also the propeller and the central bomb:

P1030067_zps421a5dfb.jpg

The under-wing bombs:

P1030074_zps7a8bccce.jpg

And the prop spinner cone:

P1030075_zpsb5a564cf.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 1

I have painted the second camo colour on the Stuka; it needed 3 coats of humbrol 242 (RLM 71):

P1030082_zpsf700535d.jpg

The Stuka with all the masking tape removed:

P1030084_zps8077f083.jpg

I have also painted the engine exhausts (Humbrol 113) and the central bomb cradle (humbrol 56):

P1030087_zpsbee2b21c.jpg

Then I masked more of the canopy; the vertical frames first:

P1030089_zps64b3042b.jpg

And painted with humbrol 91:

P1030090_zpsbcba6c26.jpg

Coming along nicely Phil, been watching with interest, :popcorn:

Sean

Edited by sean

Done a bit of touching up of the paintwork on the Stuka, and this afternoon I have fitted more of the remaining parts; starting with the underside bombs:

P1030110_zps8d80ba3e.jpg

Also the propeller and the prop spinner:

P1030116_zps24edc23f.jpg

P1030117_zps0be17095.jpg

And also the exhaust outlets:

P1030119_zpsab2dec72.jpg

A bit more touching up left to do; the flash photos don't show the paintwork very well. It is better in normal lighting...

Looking good! Masking the canopy in stages makes it a lot easier.

I had the same problems with the new Humbrol enamels that you did, if it's any consolation. They didn't cover well and dried very unevenly. However, a coat of matt varnish helped to pull it all together.

I have heard that the acrylics brush better, so I'm going to give them a go at some point.

Regards,

Adrian

Looking good! Masking the canopy in stages makes it a lot easier.

I had the same problems with the new Humbrol enamels that you did, if it's any consolation. They didn't cover well and dried very unevenly. However, a coat of matt varnish helped to pull it all together.

I have heard that the acrylics brush better, so I'm going to give them a go at some point.

Regards,

Adrian

I don't know as I haven't much experience but acrylics I have worked with seem to dry very fast and get a bit dry and lumpy on a hairy stick really quickly.

Enamels I have generally found to be a bit more forgiving when brush painted.

But it's all trial and error and maybe the new Humbrol enamels and acrylics behave in a certain way and I'm keen to hear of your experiences as I haven't tried them yet.

Cheers

The final additions to the Stuka this afternoon; I have added the final parts, which completes the build. Firstly the canopy aerial:

P1030122_zpsd9dd8c45.jpg

The small clear part on the port leading edge:

P1030128_zps45a3ac3b.jpg

And the central bomb cradle:

P1030132_zpsfabc4ca9.jpg

A few more bits to touch up, and then I can add the clear coat.