Operation Herrick multi-build - WMIK - Update 09/11- Finished!

Good job Dave. Great to see her finished and looking so good. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate! I'm quite happy with the way it's turned out. Hopefully the rest will be the same :lol:

Dave

Absolutely great work Dave!

I am also in the process of building an afghan tribute, I am working on the apache. I have a lynx AH9 and Pave hawk in stock good to go. The BH kit is the old Italeri with the old jungle camo and sand camos in the manual. Any chance when you get to it you could put down the colours you use to get the PJ's scheme! (I also love inside combat rescue!)

I am seriously considering pulling my apache thread as you are in a different dimension in comparison to me. Really good work mate

Absolutely great work Dave!

I am also in the process of building an afghan tribute, I am working on the apache. I have a lynx AH9 and Pave hawk in stock good to go. The BH kit is the old Italeri with the old jungle camo and sand camos in the manual. Any chance when you get to it you could put down the colours you use to get the PJ's scheme! (I also love inside combat rescue!)

I am seriously considering pulling my apache thread as you are in a different dimension in comparison to me. Really good work mate

Thanks mate, look forward to seeing your progress on your builds.

The Pave Hawks are all over gunship grey from what I understand, though the machines in Afghanistan get rather faded/dirty.

Dave

no probs- ref the Royal Marines - clearly they are Royal Navy - it says so on their ID cards - if one denies it ask to look at their ID card - always good banter with the bootys (my brother and cousin are serving marines! - you can imagine the micky taking at Xmas) - being ex PARA Reg its my duty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

no probs- ref the Royal Marines - clearly they are Royal Navy - it says so on their ID cards - if one denies it ask to look at their ID card - always good banter with the bootys (my brother and cousin are serving marines! - you can imagine the micky taking at Xmas) - being ex PARA Reg its my duty!

Thanks for clearing that up, and yes, I can imagine the banter exchange :lol:

Started work on the Apache today. Built up the cockpit which was easy enough:

IMG_5859_zps56406154.jpg

IMG_5860_zpse2e383a8.jpg

Gave it a spray of black and picked out some of the details with cocktail sticks:

IMG_5862_zps92c02c2a.jpg

IMG_5864_zpse505e054.jpg

Added the air conditioning pipes, just behind and above the pilot's seat with pieces of styrene tube. Another set has to go just aft of the gunners seat, but i'll add these once the fuselage is assembled:

IMG_5861_zpsae076cf4.jpg

Added a bit of wire to the pilots' seat, as per some of my references. Not sure what it is, possibly a power connector for the targeting monocle:

IMG_5865_zpscc9a1e39.jpg

IMG_5866_zps5b73c4e2.jpg

I had planned on showing you the cockpit enclosed in the fuselage but i'm having a bit of trouble getting it closed up right. The rotor housing behind the cockpit keeps sinking to one side, therefore being uneven. I'll have another go in a while once i've calmed down somewhat. And they say hobbies are supposed to be relaxing!! :banghead:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Back into the grind of work and preparing for a 2 day course next week ( ;) ) has limited modelling time somewhat but managed a few hours on the Apache today.

Fuselage closed up:

IMG_5885_zpsa41e3b65.jpg

IMG_5886_zps7abbbec4.jpg

Added the stub wings and sponsons:

IMG_5887_zpsbe242108.jpg

IMG_5888_zps0dc17cba.jpg

Started on some of the sub assemblies:

IMG_5889_zpsf8d1da8b.jpgIMG_5890_zps9900f08e.jpg

Going for for a load of 2x Hellfire, 2x CRV-7 and 1x fuel tank. On that note, the RCEFS fuel tank was proving to be a bit of an issue as i'd no idea where to start in order to make one. I then came across a set of Blackhawk fuel tanks in the spares and looking at this image, i set to work cutting it up:

IMG_5884_zps30c696a6.jpg

End result:

IMG_5891_zps05676035.jpg

Still needs a clean up but i'm happy enough with it.

Next up is to finish off the cockpit then start adding all the odds and sods to the airframe.

Dave

More done on the AH today. Starting to beef up a bit :winkgrin:

IMG_5894_zpse7e38cfb.jpg

IMG_5896_zps6f98f43d.jpg

IMG_5895_zps023d928c.jpg

Next up is to finish off the cockpit and add all the HIDAS lumps.

I've also ordered an Eduard etch set and may have another kit to add to the build!

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Building has slowed down in the past few weeks due to work and car buying! Anyway, managed to get all the HIDAS lumps and bumps fitted to the AH. The eagle eyed among you will notice the new HIDAS fit, parts kindly cast by Shaun!

IMG_5919_zpsac9f21b4.jpg

IMG_5920_zps51bc8296.jpg

IMG_5921_zpsba73bb2f.jpg

IMG_5922_zpsde8c5d92.jpg

Tidied up the RCEFS tank. Not 100% accurate, but i'm happy enough:

IMG_5923_zps89e460a2.jpg

Ordered an Eduard etch set to spice up a few bits of the airframe:

IMG_5918_zps957c6c80.jpg

Not much, but it's coming along nicely. Hoping to get the cockpit finished off and the canopy attached at the weekend. Once that's done it's just a case of adding the rest of the airframe parts and sanding off the filler before priming.

Also hope to make a start on the Hercules soon.

Dave

Apache is nearly ready for primer. Cockpit was finished off, canopy attached and masked off. Most of the bits have been added to the fuselage and any filler has been cleaned up. Just needs a final tidy up.

IMG_5938_zps86e81a2b.jpg

IMG_5940_zpsec28280d.jpg

IMG_5941_zps7aad0e33.jpg

Added the British spec antennae to the rear from a piece of styrene sheet. The mounting bracket is a scrap bit of etch.

IMG_5937_zps07dcf86e.jpg

IMG_5936_zps0df89cdb.jpg

Added the ridges to the fuselage side from styrene tube:

IMG_5939_zps78582f38.jpg

The Fire control radar (FCR). Added some wire here to detail it up as per my reference pictures.

IMG_5934_zps5841ce01.jpg

Also going to add this to the build project:

IMG_5942_zpsd5a641a1.jpg

I've ordered the Olimp resin Herrick conversion set and I've found some CRV-7s in the spares. Will be done in-flight with some sort of diorama with the Airfix quad bike set. If anyone can provide me with info on the colours of the GR-9, i'd be most grateful!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Depends on the GR9, and when you are modelling - was GR7's in theatre initially they were Dark Sea Grey (DSG) HUM 164 uppers and Dark Camouflage Grey (DCG) HUM 156 else where. Towards the end the took on an Medium Sea Grey (MSG) HUM 165.

A good link to assist with the model:

http://www.harriersig.org.uk/models/GR9BuildFinishingNotes48thv2.pdf

have a look on this sites Harrier Group Build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/472-harrier-single-type-group-build-ii/

Hope this helps a bit!

• Like 1

Lol...it was a hairy day with some hairy flying - I have the vid somewhere if I can work out how to load it up - 1 of the Sea Kings tail rotor hit the mountain and it carried out an emergency landing - now the Navy don't like being ashore in hostile territory so we had to arrange a quick CSAR and repair in the field - and yes the builds are looking great!

Just catching up on this Dave, great project!

As for the Harrier, all the Herrick ones were DSG over DCG, with the odd MSG Panel. I don't think all over MSG ones made it out there, although someone else may know different...

If you use the Olimp decals they offer ZD408, which was a GR7 or ZD347 which was a GR9 in the end, with a 65% LERX, which is handy as that's what's in the kit!

Cheers guys. Ah that's not too bad for the Harriers then, i've plenty of that paint here.

Have never used an Olimp set. Bought it as it included Herrick decals and Paveway IVs so will save the hassle of trying to source the decals.

Dave

Finishing touches added to the AH today, ready for primer:

IMG_5962_zps5187c2a5.jpg

Made a start on the Hercules. Built up the wings and horizontal stabilisers:

IMG_5961_zps757c5d75.jpg

Sprayed the inner fuselage:

IMG_5965_zps267a6077.jpg

Built up the cockpit:

IMG_5960_zpsfc21867e.jpg

Coat of paint and 2 pilots later:

IMG_5966_zpsd69cff88.jpg

Didn't put a lot of detail in here as very little of it will be seen when it's all closed up. The only aftermarket i'll be using for this will be an Eduard mask:

IMG_5963_zps3132296b.jpg

More soon.

Dave