Ace Corporation 1/144 F/A-18D Hornet VMFA(AW)-225 "Vikings" - Completed

This is my first ever group build entry so I'm just following everyone's lead as far as what to post. This is only my second F-18 model ever, my first being the old Esci 1/72 Leatherneck F-18A I built 25 years ago, I must have a "thing" for Marine Corp Hornets! I picked this one up for £4 a few weeks ago on ebay knowing it was a rebranded Revell kit, I'm just building it OOB but ignoring the instructions "one colour" scheme and doing the correct two colour for this aircraft.

Dsc01383_zps75cf0c63.jpg

The build will be simplified a little with the wings and tailplanes already "bolted" to the upper fuselage. The cockpit is nice and busy for this scale.

Dsc01384_zps6b5d6b90.jpg

The detail on 1/144 kits these days is quite stunning... When the manufacturers put their minds to it.

Dsc01405_zps02d9ebcf.jpg

Dsc01413_zpsa4b6645e.jpg

The decal sheet is fantastic for this scale, I'm blown away by the viking!

Dsc01395_zps03e60217.jpg

Edited by Speedman

That kit looks amazing considering the scale. I'm not sure that I could work with a 144th kit even under a magnifying glass so kudos to you guys that do.

Good luck with the build and enjoy your first group build.

Pete

OO an ACE kit, been looking at these, but never was too bothered about importing them in.

Also nice to see a F-18D in markings other than the two that come with the Revell Kit.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

First of all I'd like to say thank you for all your encouragement, I'm really looking forward to this!

Got off to a good start this morning, cleaned up the fuselage halves and test fitted them. I found that they didn't quite line up between the wing and tailplane, (only by about 0.3mm but that scales up to almost 4.5cm) I found what was causing it and cut down the offending bits as pictured below. Perfect fit now at the rear with just a tiny gap when the nose goes on, going to be a lot easier to fill and sand though.

2013-06-0111_28_0401_zps7010f0da.jpg

Separated and sanded a few parts ready for painting.

2013-06-0111_31_3801_zps1dacd290.jpg

That's odd about the fit, the Revell F-18's fit like a dream... Quite surprised about that. Just a quick one, if you are putting the TILAD and ariel on, then don't worry. If you are going to put missiles on the fuselage, then you'll need file/cut down the attachment points. Either way, have fun and ill be watching this with interest :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Well it's definitely from the Revell mould. ;)
2013-06-0115_43_57_zpsd31a492e.jpg
Here's a comparative photo of the gap, it may only be tiny but it was bugging me and it's going to be less work to fill and finish.
gap_zps3532f0a6.jpg

The mounts are coming off as I've not found any info that they were carried while the aircraft wore these markings, plus I'm doing this bird sans weapons.

Got the cockpit finished today. Would have been nice if there had been any panel detail to go by, instead I just painted what looked OK in this scale. At least now I can assemble the upper and lower fuselage.
2013-06-0317_58_38_zpsb081abbd.jpg
2013-06-0317_58_30_zps70ce3618.jpg
  • Like 1

Cheers guys! :)
I've got the fuselage together now, not much filler needed but sanding between the wing and the tailplane was tricky. 800, 1200 then 2000 grit wet and dry were used to get a nice smooth finish. The nose needed a little bit of reprofiling but apart from that it's going very well.
2013-06-0617_12_13_zpse64b5e5f.jpg

2013-06-0617_12_37_zps6bb61711.jpg
As I'm building this sans weapons, I removed the lugs from the wingtips and carved grooves to represent the rails,
2013-06-0617_15_07_zpsa4298bfd.jpg
Edited by Speedman

First off, I love Leatherneck Deltas..... Its interesting to see how the the Marine Corps have developed their own concepts of usage different from the Navy. Second, I am really digging the kit: the details are as good as some of the 72 kits out there, and the construction is looking awesome. Good job and keep it it!

Cleaned up a few areas over the last couple of days plus I fitted the tails and undercarriage doors. I'll be thinning the main doors by sanding them sometime in the next few days as they interfere with the centreline tank, it's only 0.2mm per door to come off so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The alternative was to set the doors at a different angle but I'm trying to stay as accurate as possible.
2013-06-0814_48_00_zpse84f9808.jpg

2013-06-0814_50_24_zps409dc5dc.jpg
I took a little time to thin the fences down a bit, still not quite right but any thinner and I think they would be too fragile.
2013-06-0814_48_37_zps2098ea61.jpg

Again you're blazing a great trail for the rest of us to try to follow. Dazzo made the point about fitting the fenches after decalling the walkways if you have them. Also I think the triangular inboard flap actuators are too far rearward on the kit.

Keep the updates coming.

Dazzo made the point about fitting the fenches after decalling the walkways if you have them.

I don't have to worry about the walkways, this bird never had them. In fact BuNo 164245 had very little stencilling at all, but thanks for the heads up.

Ended up thinning the doors today, I just wanted to get it out of the way. I also worked on the intakes and thinned the walls to open them up.
2013-06-0819_41_02_zpsa1d4d00b.jpg
Edited by Speedman

Finally got the primer sprayed (I tend to wait until I have a few projects to do in one sitting). I've also spent 2 days mixing and testing paint, I'm using Revell aqua Color 76 but mixing in some white to compensate for the scale. I've mixed slightly different amounts of white in and managed to get a nice subtle difference between the two colours for upper and lower.

2013-06-1213_41_2701_zps39eb6e2d.jpg