1/144 F-14D Super Tomcat

Hi all,

First build post here. Working on a Revell 1/144 F-14D Super Tomcat to get some skills. Very affordable kit and fun if fiddly, to build. I started it some time ago and took some photos along the way.

So, here goes:

Started with the 04049 kit from Revell and spent a long time looking for the Gunze H308 (FS36375) paint, but found the Vallejo primer and Life color paint instead. So I decided to prime it all in the Vallejo primer:

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Then I got to work on the cockpit - very fiddly!! But managed to get it all sorted out. I was going more for the iron look (Tamiya XF-84) of the seats rather than just straight black. Not sure if it works or not, but that's the way it is for now (I repainted the seat cushions as well):

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

Then built up the cockpit and tried to sand down the seam and added the tail. Not sure I should've added the wings yet, but I think I'll be able to still paint them ok. Photos bring out some rough patches I didn't sand down...

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

Then came the canopy!! No masks and unlike some of their other F-14 kits (and a Hornet kit I have now), no decals. So after much trial with liquid mask, I ended up with Tamiya tape. It's not the nest, but I hope it will look ok:

IMG_2276.jpg

The pup is not so sure.......

IMG_2270.jpg

So here's where I am at with it. A little rough around the edges that I'll try to clean up. I hope to get quite a bit more done tonight as I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it again.

IMG_2288.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Alex. Yes, it is very impressive for the money.

Here's a quick update - additional painting including a go at pre-shading (it's a bit hard to see the end result in these images) and painting rather than using decals in some places. I also had a thought about a base of sorts to place the completed model on. The original file I found on modelshipwrights. I then tweaked it a bit and printed it to approximate scale (?? I'm going by an image of the tie-downs in relation to the wheels).

Better lighting coming when it's all done - focusing on getting it completed at the moment.

Comments appreciated!

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Edited by TK-427
  • Like 1

Very nice, built one last year myself. I screwed up the cockpit and the canopy as I had to strip the paint twice... anyhow...

I assume you are going with the Grim Reapers version, in which case you will find that there is only two decals for the red stripe on the top of the rudder instead of the 4 that the instructions say. Good luck with the engine nozzle decals too, I gave up with them!

Will be watching this and a very quick build I must say :) Oh if you like this model you will like their F-14A, which is the same model just a different nose pod thing (sorry I dont know it's correct name).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi all,

Another quick update. Moved on to the decals. Finished the model with 1:1 Vallejo Gloss varnish (:water) before using Micro Sol and Set to get the decals on. Made a couple of errors and realised that the kit does not come with all the decals. The rear wing upper red area - there should be 4 decals and there are only 2. Then disaster struck and I dropped the whole thing on the floor, breaking the front landing gear and the pitot tube!! :|

Anyway, here is the update. Half the decals done. Weathering to come!

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

• Like 1

And thanks Dazzio and Neal! Didn't read your post properly Dazzio - re: the red stripes! I also used the incorrect number on the fuselage. All in all, a few missteps, but we're getting there. Thanks again for the comments!

Here's where I am at so far. It's taken longer to complete this than I was expecting, but no drama. Better to take time than to rush it.

I've fixed the front landing gear and finished the decals on the Tomcat.

I've decided not to do the decals on the jets after reading Dazz's comments and doing all the other decals. They are so small it is a challenge. I figure I'll have a go at weathering the jets instead. I also painted the missing red stripe on the inside of the tail wings.

A few more payload decals to get done, but here is where it's at:

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all!

A quick update again:

Decalling is complete - for the most part. As mentioned earlier, I decided against the jet exhaust decals. Some of the payload decals were also a bit of a challenge - maybe a little oversized for the model? Anyway, it's all done now (even if with a mistake or two) and awaits the clearcoat before I start the weathering - hopefully this week! I'm pleased how the canopy turned out as well (if a little scratched - hard to see in this image).

Then I'll figure out what I'd like to display it on. It's sitting on a print I did a bit of Photoshop work on. I've also found some aluminium and acrylic that I might play around with, especially for photos at least.

More to come and comment welcome! :)

IMG_2374.jpg

• Like 2

And thanks Dazzio and Neal! Didn't read your post properly Dazzio - re: the red stripes! I also used the incorrect number on the fuselage. All in all, a few missteps, but we're getting there. Thanks again for the comments!

I've decided not to do the decals on the jets after reading Dazz's comments and doing all the other decals. They are so small it is a challenge. I figure I'll have a go at weathering the jets instead. I also painted the missing red stripe on the inside of the tail wings.

You're welcome regarding the heads up that where noticed and the ones that where not! :P

You've made an impressive model, wish mine turned out like that... oh well... :)

Very very very nice, gonna make anymore 1/144's??

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks James and Dazz for the replies and comments.

James - yes, it has an amazing amount of detail for the size. The parts count is also impressive. It has taken a lot longer than I thought it would to put it all together! But is has been enjoyable.

Dazz - yeah, I always get accused for not reading properly! ;) And thanks for the positive comment about the build; I hope that I don't screw up the weathering now. I have some Abteilung oils that I'm going to give a shot.

As for another 1/144, I have this one:

_87G9365.jpg

Looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind doing another Tomcat either and adding some Fightertown decals - they have some excellent 1/144 Black Lions decals that I'd like to give a shot.

But then, I also have a bunch of Fine Molds Star Wars models, including the 1/72 Millennium Falcon, sitting ready to go. ;)

And I would love to do the 1/32 Trumpter F-14D... There's one that I found at one of the local stores that has a pretty good price on it as best I can tell. Still a lot of $$$ though......

More to come...

Great stuff!

I've never tried 1/144 but I'm sure if I did it wouldn't anyway be as good as what you've managed...lookin' forward to seeing the hornet come together.

Cheers mate

Yours aye

Iain.

Edited by Cplrafman

Thanks Iain - the 144 is definitely worth a shot. Makes everything else so much bigger if nothing else! ;)

So I had a go at weathering using the Abteilung oils. I decided against the usual brown wash and went for Starship Filth (!!!!):

IMG_2386.jpg

Mixed with a bit of white spirit (artist grade) to make a thick wash and brushed all over:

IMG_2383.jpg

Waited for it to dry a bit and then wiped off the excess to get something like this:

IMG_2391.jpg

And the underneath:

IMG_2390.jpg

No, not my nails ;) but it gives a good scale!

So this is where I'm at. I'll have a go at some finer detail and then put the final clear on it and call it done! And then get some better images of it.

IMG_2395.jpg

More to come.

• Like 1

Thanks Val for the comment.

I had a go at using pigment - and failed miserably!! Not sure I got it right, but in the end I managed to wash away some of the oil weathering I did while trying to get rid of the pigment that I managed to get all over the back of the model. So I started with the oil wash again in certain areas:

IMG_2403.jpg

And then wiped it off after allowing it dry a little:

IMG_2408.jpg

Turns out that it looks like some of the pigment also remained and contributed a bit more to the overall look (more bottom than class on this one!):

IMG_2409.jpg

I decided to call it good and do the final clear coat - I used Vallejo Matt Varnish. Maybe should have used satin, but I don't have any and thought this was ok for this one. Black was masked and final clear was airbrushed (as was almost everything else BTW):

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

So I'm calling this one done! I prefer the matt look to the gloss for sure.

I'll do some more photos (more consistent colour for one!) and put it in the completed model section. :)

Thanks for watching and as always, comments are welcome!

Edited by TK-427
  • Like 1

Very nice ! I like the weathering - the pictures are great - have to keep reminding myself how tiny this is. Take a shot next to a penny to help us get the scale?

Thanks Val and NavDoc!

I thought of the scale photo and I will do one of those this weekend I think. ;)

Also hoping to get a Hornet started for the group build.

More to come! :)