A Vampire, Sea Fury & Mustang finished

Firstly Classic Airframes 1/48 Vampire NF.10...

CA492_1.jpg

CA492_3.jpg

CA492.jpg

CA492_5.jpg

CA492_6.jpg

Started about 2 years ago but finish delayed as I kept loosing interest!

Not the easiest of builds and had many, many issues including having the fuselage spilt when the resin cockpit and two halves were glued together (boy, did I loose interest then :angry: )

I also used Flightpaths Vampire etch set for the flaps, cut open the kit canopy, rebuilt the main landing gear and scratched the boarding ladder.

Painted using Xtracolor paints, Xtradecal markings and varnished with Xtracrylix Satin.

Would I build another, possibly but would prefer a mainstream manufacturer to release one first!

I also have 5 other CA kits in the Stash but for some reason, these have gone to the back of the pile :lol:

Next up is Trumpeter's 1/72 Sea Fury...

TRUM01631.jpg

TRUM01631_3.jpg

TRUM01631_1.jpg

TRUM01631_2.jpg

TRUM01631_4.jpg

I used Eduard's etched detail set and Pavla's cockpit and propeller, while I rebuilt the rocket rails as the originals looked a looking overweight and scratched the wingfold mechanisms. Although nothing like the original, hopefully a little more representative and provide a bit more strength. The kit undercarriage is rather week so have cheated and used a set of Heritage Tempest undercarriage legs and have also opened the hand/foot holds in the fuselage side for additional interest.

Paints are Xtracolor enamels and finished with Xtracrylix Flat varnish. As for markings, these are a mixture of those supplied with the kit and my Spares Box although one failing with the kit, is that there are no stencils provided and I didn't have anything suitable to use instead!

I've read that there are a few inaccuracies with the kit but it goes together nicely, I like it and would recommend it to others, looking for a OOB build!

Finally, Tamiya's P-51D finished as an RAF Mustang Mk.IV...

TA61041_06.jpg

TA61041_05.jpg

TA61041_04.jpg

TA61041_03.jpg

TA61041_02.jpg

TA61041_01.jpg

Being a real sucker for aftermarket, absolutely everything has been thrown at this kit although if I were to do so again, I wouldn't bother with the flaps, undercarriage doors or the Tail wheel bay.

The list of accessories are...

Aires cockpit

Aires gun bay

Eduard RAF seatbelts

Eduard etched detail set

Quickboost shrouded exhausts

Quickboost landing gear doors

Quickboost tailwheel bay

Quickboost flaps

Squadron Dallas canopy

True Details Main Wheels

Ultracast Aeroproducts propeller

Ultracast machine gun ports

Vector main wheel bay

I scratch built the gills on the engine cowling but didn't use Quickboosts' inner landing gear doors (they don't fit!) while the flaps don't really offer any improvement to the kit parts and the tail wheel bay is not visible.

The Vector wheel bay is a vast improvement on the kit item but as I've closed the inner doors most of it is hidden. When I build the Mk.III from my stash, I think I will leave them open so that more will be seen!

I've used the appropriate ANA colours from Model Master enamels for the first time and I was pleased at how nicely they settled, Humbrol enamel was used for the yellow, Mr Metal Color for the drop tanks and aluminium areas while markings came from Aeromaster Decals and Xtracrylix Flat Varnish to seal everything in!

Thanks for looking and all criticisms and corrections are welcome!

Hi Tony

Very nice work on all three. Am loving the Mustang. I think that it looks great in RAF colours!

Would you be able to tell me how you made the gills/vents on the nose. They look really good so would like to have a go at doing them myself for the 1/48 and 1/32 Tamiya Mustangs that i have in the stash waiting to be built in Mk.IVs

Kind regards

Rob

Edited by Dr Lurve

Thanks everyone, the comments are all gratefully received :)

All 3 of these are great, Mustang is a cracker and I really like the Vampire, got a NF10 vampire to do and this might inspire me to get on with it!

cheers

Simon

Cheers however, before you start, make sure that you have plenty of patience/booze/painkillers/gun/dynamite (delete as appropriate) :D

Seriously, it's not that bad but not being a mainstream kit, it does have....er....issues and as with all limited production kits, do lots of checking before gluing!

Also reference material for the NF.10 appears to be limited!

Edited by Tony C

Hi Tony

Very nice work on all three. Am loving the Mustang. I think that it looks great in RAF colours!

Would you be able to tell me how you made the gills/vents on the nose. They look really good so would like to have a go at doing them myself for the 1/48 and 1/32 Tamiya Mustangs that i have in the stash waiting to be built in Mk.IVs

Kind regards

Rob

Cheers Rob and personally I think that anything looks better in RAF colours :fight:

As for the gill/vents, magnifying lamp, plastic sheet cut to shape, Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and lots of attempts to get them to look acceptable!

Most are the same size but 1 is definitely smaller than the rest and I have doubts about a 2nd!

I think that Red Roo used to produce resin gills but I don't believe that these are still available.