Xtracrylix Matt Varnish

speedy

As a new airbrushian, my confidence is growing with every kit. I normaly use Humbrol Matt Aerosol. So tonight mathew i will be airbrushing the Xtracrylic matt stuff. It says to dilute by 15%, anything else i should know?

As a new airbrushian, my confidence is growing with every kit. I normaly use Humbrol Matt Aerosol. So tonight mathew i will be airbrushing the Xtracrylic matt stuff. It says to dilute by 15%, anything else i should know?

Not really advice, but the only thing I've found with it is that it doesn't dry totally matt. More of an 'eggshell' like sheen to it - fine if that's the finish you want, but if you want totally flat then I find Humbrol mattcote still the best I've used. I've tried the xtracrylic at various consistencies down to a 50/50 mix with water, & always got the same result.

Keef

I have tried airbrushing with both distilled water and Tamiya thinners X-20A and found the Tamiya thinners to mix and flow better than the water. I have even tried heating the water and found this improves airbrushing but not as much as using the Tamiya thinners.

HTH

As long as it's laid down in thin coats it'll dry completely matt. I find that I thin it about 50:50 so that it's a nice thinned mix, and then really lightly spray it on in very fine coats... If you lay it too thick, you will find that it may dry with a sheen to it, so be careful.

Karl.

As long as it's laid down in thin coats it'll dry completely matt. I find that I thin it about 50:50 so that it's a nice thinned mix, and then really lightly spray it on in very fine coats... If you lay it too thick, you will find that it may dry with a sheen to it, so be careful.

Karl.

What he said. I use xtracrylix thinner but I also add a few drops of flow aid to the mix. I find it a lovely matt finish & very easy to work with. :thumbsup:

Karl.

Must be me then - I did suspect as much!! That's exactly how I spray it though. Tried two different bottles too, still got a sheen. Perhaps I gave up too easily as I only tried one model from each bottle! Do you thin with water Karl, & if so tap or distilled? Will have to give it another go....

Cheers

keef

Same as the other Mike says, use Xtracrylix own-brand thinner and some retarder. I couldn't tell you what ratio I use, just "nice and thin".

If the finish is not matt enough, you could try adding a couple of drops of Tamiya "Flat Base", good stuff if using acrylic Paint/Varnish, adjust the finish down to dead matt.

Phil

If the finish is not matt enough, you could try adding a couple of drops of Tamiya "Flat Base", good stuff if using acrylic Paint/Varnish, adjust the finish down to dead matt.

Phil

trouble with that stuff is I always add too much & get a nice winter whitewash finish....!!! :doh:

Edited by keefr22

Must be me then - I did suspect as much!! That's exactly how I spray it though. Tried two different bottles too, still got a sheen. Perhaps I gave up too easily as I only tried one model from each bottle! Do you thin with water Karl, & if so tap or distilled? Will have to give it another go....

Cheers

keef

Yeah, I usually just use tap water (although we are in a good soft water area) and a little bit of flow enhancer. All my stuff that is matted is done with the xtracrylix varnish. Give it another go and see what you get!

Karl.