Dassault Etendard IVM

Well I haven't done a work in progress for a while, so here's my attempt at the Heller 1/72 Etendard. I'm particularly fond of this lovely little jet and its younger brother, so when I saw this one on ebay going cheap, I had to get my mits on it!

Progress so far then, and I've put the thing together. The cockpit is pretty lacking in detail, so I've just painted the whole thing black-although they are on the real thing anyway-and hope that nobody will ever look in there ;)

A few fit issues, particularly around the wing and fin to fuselage joins and the flaps, but nothing a bit of milliput and sanding hasn't sorted I hope!

Typical of Heller, there is a combination of raised and recessed panel lines, bit of an annoyance really, but I'm not gonna ruin the beast by trying to rescribe it, so it shall stay as she is.

So here's the latest progress, with a preshade applied. Normally I use matt black, but I'm all out so gloss will have to do for now

DSCF4257.jpg

DSCF4256.jpg

Hope to get the white undersides done today, and maybe a sneaky go at the grey; speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure what colour this grey is. I was gonna go for EDSG, but from the few pictures of the aircraft on A.net, sometimes its a bit lighter, and sometimes its a bit blue-ish. Any tips gratefully received :D

Thats it for now

Cheers

Shaun :)

Edited by Seamus

Well I haven't done a work in progress for a while, so here's my attempt at the Heller 1/72 Etendard. I'm particularly fond of this lovely little jet and its older brother, so when I saw this one on ebay going cheap, I had to get my mits on it!

Progress so far then, and I've put the thing together. The cockpit is pretty lacking in detail, so I've just painted the whole thing black-although they are on the real thing anyway-and hope that nobody will ever look in there ;)

A few fit issues, particularly around the wing and fin to fuselage joins and the flaps, but nothing a bit of milliput and sanding hasn't sorted I hope!

Typical of Heller, there is a combination of raised and recessed panel lines, bit of an annoyance really, but I'm not gonna ruin the beast by trying to rescribe it, so it shall stay as she is.

So here's the latest progress, with a preshade applied. Normally I use matt black, but I'm all out so gloss will have to do for now

DSCF4257.jpg

DSCF4256.jpg

Hope to get the white undersides done today, and maybe a sneaky go at the grey; speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure what colour this grey is. I was gonna go for EDSG, but from the few pictures of the aircraft on A.net, sometimes its a bit lighter, and sometimes its a bit blue-ish. Any tips gratefully received :D

Thats it for now

Cheers

Shaun :)

There are three colour schemes for the Super Etendard.

Early White underside and EDSG BS 381C:640 topside

Camouflage scheme from mid 1980's - current Matt Dark Grey (EDSG - 640) and Matt Light Blue Grey FS35237

New scheme is similar to Rafale M's. in Medium Grey.

We cover the Camouflage scheme with Afghanistan aircraft markings on our decal sheet MA-72161 War on Terror.

There are a few extra's you may wish to add.

Extratech Deatil set and Equipage wheel set, Airwaves Martin Baker Mk4 Ejector seat. Eduard also do a brass detail set and I understand that Pavla may be doing a cockpit set.

Undercarriage legs and wheel bays are silver, inside of airbrakes are dull aluminium.

We are also shortly to be releasing the White Tiger strip scheme from NATO Tiger Meet 'Arctic Tigers 2007'.

Regards

Gary

The Aviation Workshop/Model Alliance

Thanks for the help, but if you look closely at the nose of the model you'll see its the earlier Etendard, not a Super!

I'm going for an early grey/white colour scheme, which should look something like this

Etendard

Another look

As you can see, the grey looks different in each of the pics. I'm leaning towards the more blue-grey as it looks a little different, but want to make sure this is accurate.

aw-boss man, I'm glad you mentioned decals as the decals supplied in the box have yellowed, probably due to their age. As far as I know, this is the only Etendard kit in 1/72, so I'm guessing there is little or no aftermarket options for it :(

Do you know of any available for the Super Etendard? the early markings are pretty similar from what I've seen so I could use them and pass it off for an older aircraft, nobody would ever need to know :wicked:

Hi Seamus,

The Carpena Etendard / Super E decal sheet is the one to get. The first, and most common scheme was the Grey over white. The second example, Etendard '56' was sprayed in the two greys found on the disruptive Super E's and IVP's. Some IVM's were also painted in a light blue grey scheme (see below). I think this is one of the options in the Heller kit. The Carpena sheet includes all options. If you need any photographic evidence let me know.

EtendardIVMNo29LtBluescheme31March1.jpg

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

Looking good. I'm building the 1/48 Aifix IVP at the moment, nearly finished. Looks like you twigged the fact that the main & nose gear doors are closed after the u/c has cycled which is more than I did!

Well they were already moulded shut, so couldn't really go too wrong there!!

Tez, thanks for the heads up on the decals. However, I've been googling around for them but had no luck; all I've been able to find are the 1/48 Decals. Are the 72nd still in production?

Cheers

Shaun

Got the white sprayed on yesterday. Tried to keep the preshade nice and subtle; not sure how well the photos show this, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Thought about giving it another very light spraying, so thats usually the time to stop!

DSCF4261.jpg

DSCF4260.jpg

Hope to get the old girl masked off at some point today before experimenting with mixing in a touch of blue to the EDSG, see what I can conjure up :)

Cheers

Shaun

Some more progress, I added a fair bit of intermediate blue to the EDSG, with the following results.

DSCF4268.jpg

DSCF4266.jpg

the photos make it look a bit more blue than it is, but I'm still not sure if its quite right. I'm planning to try my hand at a postshade with this one for the first time, by adding a touch of light grey to the mix, but don't really want to go ahead with it if the grey is wrong.

Comments much appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

Cheers Gary

I've been mulling over the grey a bit, and decided to re-spray it DSG, seems a much closer match from the better quality pics I've had a look at. First impressions seem pretty good, but I'll have a good look in better light in the morning and post some pics. Annoyingly, the second coat has totally eliminated the preshade, so I'll have to learn this postshading lark pretty fast to get any sort of tonal difference in the grey.

As promised, some pics of the respray

DSCF4270.jpg

DSCF4269.jpg

This time I used DSG and I'm much happier with it, gives a much better match to the real thing I think.

Time to have a dabble with a spot of postshading now!

Edited by Seamus

Well from what I've read, the wobblier the better..........at least thats what i tell myself! ;)

Well here she is now with all the painting complete-I really do love these old grey over white naval schemes. I did have a go at postshading, which was neither disastrous nor a complete failure. I was very reluctant to lighten the base grey too much and as a result there is very little tonal difference betweeen the base and post shades-certainly not enough for my camera to pick out. Nonetheless, in the right light, it can just about be seen, especially around the wingtips and empennage, so I'm relatively happy with it, just gotta remember to lighten a shade (no pun intended!!) more in the future.

DSCF4276.jpg

DSCF4275.jpg

DSCF4274.jpg

DSCF4273.jpg

I accidentally knocked off the plastic pitot tube during sanding, so this has been replaced with a portion of a pin, which looks much better anyway-just gotta remember that its now bloody sharp! All thats left to do now is give her a coat or two of klear ready for decals, which with a bit of luck should be ordered via a French seller on ebay today.

Cheers

Shaun

Well, the decals arrived from France this morning, much quicker than I anticipated, so here's the latest update, with the decalling completed. Would have posted these tomorrow, but seeing as its such a lovely day, thought I'd make use of the good light and take some pics outside for a change.

DSCF4281.jpg

DSCF4280.jpg

DSCF4278.jpg

DSCF4277.jpg

The decals are by Carpena/Colorado and are truly excellent. I normally make do with the decals supplied by the kit, but as they had yellowed quite badly I had no choice but to get hold of these; and I'm very glad I did. The quality of print is better than I've ever seen from a kit, and they settle down with no trouble whatsoever. Reckon I might just be delving into the market for decals much more regularly in the future!

Should be able to give her a coat of Klear this evening to seal the decals in, then on with some weathering tomorrow methinks

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Shaun

A quick update and the weathering is done

DSCF4285.jpg

DSCF4283.jpg

I've tried to keep it fairly light, with a pastel wash to highlight those panels that are recessed. I've also experimented with using oil paints to produce the stains you can (hopefully) see on the underside of the fuselage and trailing from the hinges of the control surfaces. I've used a bit of artistic license here, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

That leaves just the undercarriage, airbrakes and stores to tidy up and attach and she's as good as done!

Cheers

Shaun