Canberra PR.9 in progress

Van

How delighted I was when this was announced. Needs loads of filler though and the "fit" of the various engine parts was interesting. Also a shame that the rear fuselage camera section clear part's curvature only approximates the curvature of the fuselage where it should fit....

It will be interesting to compare with the airfix 1:72 scale release. Van

Cnv0024.jpg

Edited by Van

Van you've gone Canberra mad and this one looks great so far :clap2:

Ok I've just started this kit so now it's time for a couple of questions. I noticed you don't have the small observation windows fitted as yet. Are you going to try using the kit parts or use something like Crystal Clear? How much trouble did you have fitting the wheel well inserts to allow the wings to line up and lastly what are you using to fade the basecoat?

TIA

Van you've gone Canberra mad and this one looks great so far :clap2:

Ok I've just started this kit so now it's time for a couple of questions. I noticed you don't have the small observation windows fitted as yet. Are you going to try using the kit parts or use something like Crystal Clear? How much trouble did you have fitting the wheel well inserts to allow the wings to line up and lastly what are you using to fade the basecoat?

TIA

Thanks. I will use Crystal Clear. The wheel wells were not very good-one side fitted into the recess on the fuselage vaguely, the other not at all!-and then a lot of plastic needed shaving off to get them to slide into the wings.

I havent faded the basecoat-it is the result of lots of sanding. It may be a problem with my kit only-the fuselage halves did not match up, one being bigger than the other requiring a lot of filling and sanding along the length both top and bottom.

cheers

Van

Thanks. I will use Crystal Clear. The wheel wells were not very good-one side fitted into the recess on the fuselage vaguely, the other not at all!-and then a lot of plastic needed shaving off to get them to slide into the wings.

I havent faded the basecoat-it is the result of lots of sanding. It may be a problem with my kit only-the fuselage halves did not match up, one being bigger than the other requiring a lot of filling and sanding along the length both top and bottom.

cheers

Van

Your'e not the only one with the fuselage size problem! Mine as well had different diameter fuselage halves. I added small plastic tabs to force them to fit but that produced other unwanted effects like a slightly wobbly spine! I hope it disappears under a matte coat...

This is how I did it:

canberra_20080120_001.jpg

Wings were fitted using a wing spar from brass tubing, I didn't trust the combined wheel wells / wing spars!

canberra_20080206_001.jpg

While we are on the subject of 1/72 Canberras: Does anyone know for sure if the Airfix ones (especially the B(I).8) will be completely new mouldings? I have toyed with the idea of getting myself a High Planes B(I).8 but an Airfix one will probably produce an equally good result while saving lots of hard work (and money...).

Regards

Magnus

Edited by magnusf

How delighted I was when this was announced. Needs loads of filler though and the "fit" of the various engine parts was interesting. Also a shame that the rear fuselage camera section clear part's curvature only approximates the curvature of the fuselage where it should fit....

It will be interesting to compare with the airfix 1:72 scale release. Van

Cnv0024.jpg

Especially as the Airfix one is six quid cheaper. Eleven quid for one of the most graceful pieces of British Aircraft engineering. Great work, by the way. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Tony :clif:

Especially as the Airfix one is six quid cheaper. Eleven quid for one of the most graceful pieces of British Aircraft engineering. Great work, by the way. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Tony :clif:

I've decided to use xtracolor enamels on this one...I hope this isn't a mistake as I not used enamels since I made models as a youngster 30 years ago! It has been acrylics only since I resumed the hobby 4 years ago.

Van

Thanks very much Van and Magnus for your replies, they were both really helpful.

I was going to reinforce the wing root myself with a big chuck of strip styrene as I agree that there is no way I trusting the wheel well inserts.

As a matter of interest did either of you guys try to do much with that enormous pour stub in the wheel wells? I have cleaned up mine the best I can, but I think I'll just attach the bird to a base so that nobody can look too closely at the wheel wells.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Today I nearly threw the kit in the bin (never done that before!). I am so unhappy at the appearance of the jet pipes the inner and outers look SO messy when viewed from behind. Not even circular, and I think scratch building a slightly tapered cylinder to replace th kit parts is beyond me!

Van

I've heard from a few people that this is a poor kit, seems this thread reinforces that (sorry for the pun). Still, good progress being made!

Hi there!

No, I don't think this is a poor kit. It is not a mainstream kit but it is very good for being a short run. Mine ended up as winner in its category at the recent IPMS Sweden Open and while I am probably a better than average modeller, I am certainly not the best so the kit can't be that poor :rolleyes: On the other hand, I readily admit that it has its issues and that I wasn't that happy all the time during the build either!

The push marks in the wheel wells are fixable with some care, a scalpel and some plasticard:

canberra_20080111_008.jpg

Regards

Magnus

Edited by magnusf