1/48 - Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by Great Wall Hobby - released - new variant: TBD-1A (seaplane)

Homebee

Knives are being drawn along whetstones on ARC as well I think....

Stephen

Mind you - given that the FW189 and the P-61 do seem to have had some "issues", and that the TBD occupies an almost mythical status in the Pantheon of USN WW2 sacrifices, I dare say we might be showing similar spleen venting tendencies in here if, say, GWH's next release was going to be a Bristol Blenheim, or a Fairey battle.

It does all seem a bit crazy to get steamed up over CAD renders though. I can understand the P-61 ( and to a certain extent FW 189) debate more- as we've got the model in the flesh to look at.

For my own opinion, I'm in the "its just as easy to tool a model accurately as inaccurately" school of thought, so GWH don't win any browny points from me for what do seem like rather obvious errors on the P-61.

It is all very weird when people get so steamed up about small pieces of plastic, but we've all done it, and I guess it shows the depth of passion & feeling/ level of anal retentiveness ( delete as appropriate!) people have over this hobby.

cheers

Jonners

Cant wait for this to appear on Hyperscale.... :)

The P-61 has already been pretty shredded over there, if GWH dont get this right - then it will be torches and pitchforks time. :fight:

Jonners

Nice to see a Devastator.....but what have they said about the P61? Don't tell me they've trashed it?

• 3 weeks later...
whats wrong with the P-61?

Probably something minor, but some so called experts like to bitch about anything new.

I wish some of them would just sit back and realise just how lucky we are to have all of these new kits and accessories.

Just my feelings on the subject.

Chris.

Not too much from what I can gather - its all a little too much for some of the more sensitive 'Hyperscalers'...one of the reasons I visit there rarely these days

Andy

From what I remember seeing, the opening in the cowlings is too small. Where the cowlings round into the opening, the surface goes too far, making the opening too small. Some work with a file or some sandpaper should take care of it. It's possible the cowlings are too small in diameter, but I didn't have drawings or measurements available when I got a look. As a disclaimer, I'm not an expert (far from it) on the P-61, just going by what I saw. Looks very buildable, and potentially easily correctable.

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Released - ref. L4809 - Douglas TBD-1 Devastator - VT-6 Wake Island 1942

gwh-l4809.jpg

A new variant is announced: the US Navy TBD-1A Seaplane type - ref. L4812

Source: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10226652

TBD-1A is a seaplane type of Devastator that one machine was only prototype in World War II before the outbreak.
So - float distinctive Reproduced in new mold.

03-fs.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee