For the F-104 Lockheed Starfighter STGB here is my finished Lockheed NF-104 A Starfighter Aerospace Trainer for which I used the Italeri 1/72 F-104 A/C kit as a basis for my conversion.

Scratch built modifications include the housing for the rocket motor below the tail and the extended spine which accommodated the motor fuel feed lines and throttle control linkages, Extended wingtips and RCS ports top and bottom, extended air intake coves, larger area vertical tail and a lengthened nose sensor boom. Additionally I have modified an astronaut from the Airfix Lunar Module for the Pilot. The model is finished in Bare Metal Foil and Sainsbury's very best basics thin sandwich foil! The specific Aircraft markings and badges were home printed.  I've mounted the finished model on an acrylic rod set into a cheap MDF plinth sprayed gloss black with a name plate because I've always wanted a nice desktop model.

For reference I used the excellent and informative Air Force Legends Number 204 Lockheed NF-104A Aerospace Trainer booklet by Scott Landis.

The NF-104A was intended to help familiarise Pilots with the rigours of low lift/high drag flight profiles and the required reaction control systems for high altitude flight.

Would I foil an another model? Yes, but not at 1/72 although I do have a couple of 1/48 kits that would look great in foiled NMF.

27884943549_9af357b254_b.jpg

27884943369_08051a414b_b.jpg

27884943949_599de00ba4_b.jpg

27884943869_c4194167d6_b.jpg

27884943739_a3bba24770_b.jpg

• Like 16

104’s Always look great in foil 👍...  There are certain aircraft in about a 10 year time frame that benefit best from real foil. From 1953-63. Otherwise the air force really started painting planes silver for corrosion control. So they can actually look wrong in foil for certain eras. Again great looking model. 

• Thanks 1