This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Thom216    750

I decided I wanted to do a little something sci fi, while still doing the Do335. So, I pulled out one of the SBY Dreadnought kits from Bandai. A lovely kit too. If I was doing this OOB, I think I would be in paint already. But as I'm not...

Taking some inspiration from Do-Do, I decided to give her a little stretch in the hull. As well as that, I'll be building up the lower belly scoop, to make it larger and more angular like the forward scoop under the bow. I also have the exhaust nozzle from a 1/48 SR-71 that may serve as a new engine for the ship. It's only slightly larger in diameter than the hull.

First up, the lovely box art!

ixW5UK5.jpg

The pile of sprues.

K6s5gCI.jpg

ynoyp7i.jpg

Firs to go are the little knobs here that protrude from under the upper bulges.

qGE5L0T.jpg

ZsJ7FKH.jpg

I found a nice bit of rod to replace them with.

AJRLd6w.jpg

Took a little detour and cut the hull sides.:o

V3YXrLt.jpg

Then it was back to cutting interior plastic for clearance for the metal rods. Just in case.

Xjidvtv.jpg

9bZIy8I.jpg

And how she looks right now, with a planned length of the stretch.

IJZ4OXE.jpg

Wish me luck. Model on!

Thom216    750

Update time!

While waiting for the CA to dry on a nagging seam on the Do335, I brought out my new drill bit set and drilled those holes where the 'knobby' things were.

P9tpw1P.jpg

avXHqml.jpg

Rolling the metal rod under the sharp edge of a hobby knife got me eight of these.

jYcaiZx.jpg

Which were then pushed into the holes and secured with a tiny bit of CA.

7gL8KCs.jpg

8pwtEMv.jpg

Here's with the fore deck in place.

RpR7LHW.jpg

And here is my snafu produced by the dremel.

boqJhEJ.jpg

And my second, produced by my inattention while snipping the dorsal bow fin off the sprue... As you can see, out came the scrap styrene and CA.

LNXa1le.jpg

And finally, the new 'floor' for whatever detail I decide to place into the hole. I could have fixed it, but I've decided some detail would be nicer.

ec2eAZ2.jpg

Al for now, have a good night and model on!

Will Vale    3,157

This is a really cool design, I think I like it more than the Andromeda (and I suspect others feel the same as it sold out so fast first time around). Is the extra length just for looks, or to match a different "prototype" ship?

Cheers,

Will

Thom216    750
23 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Is the extra length just for looks, or to match a different "prototype" ship?

Cheers,

Will

Just my own preference. I prefer my ships to have some length to them.:D

Thom216    750

A little more work done on the Nauty. Not much, but some...

The spacers are in space for the bow stretch. They are just scrap pieces from another kit.

duzMbzd.jpg

T7dmxqM.jpg

The bow deck is going to be changed. I'm either going to do a smooth deck, filling in those lines, or use clapboard styrene with far finer and thinner lines for a more scale look.

SrNvDJV.jpg

The box in the middle is the battery box, which I won't be using because it won't be lit. But it makes it easy to slide the two halves together, which makes it easier for the rear stretch as well. And the distance for that was dictated by the tamper proof ring from a juice bottle that I'll be using. It'll bend nicely around the side engine nacelle.

spcYTXC.jpg

6U1ytsV.jpg

YQzi8x6.jpg

And that's it do far. Have a good night. Model on!