Greetings and Salutations

baffled

Hi my name is John, I'm a brit and I am such a beginner it is not even funny. I used to make a real hash of Airfix kits as a kid usually by putting on so much glue and then wondering why everything melted!

I just started making models again at the wrong side of 60.

I have completed one top an ok ish standard, given up on one and buggered one up so far.

You may well get a lot of very basic questions from me.

Be gentle

• Like 1

Welcome to BM John. We've all been there at some time, the only standard you should be concerned with is what you thinks looks good. Have fun

John whatever happens never surrender. ;) we all were beginners once and we all have those memories. Yes some of us even still keep a few of the early finishes as a reminder we do actually get better. But please remember this piece of advice from a personal lesson i learned. I have built models since i was about 8-9 years old that was 1979. I got into a phase starting in 2001 where i had to super detail everything and it had to be show quality. Well long story shortened i burned out. I stopped modeling for 10 years starting in 2005. I got back into it at the end of 2014. And i havent looked back. The kesson i learned and trying to pass pn to you and to anyone who gets frustrated is this. Remember that this is a hobby its meant to be relaxing and enjoyable. What we should all remember is whether its a $10-20 kit or an $150 superkit. And even if it wouldnt win a blue ribbon at a pig beauty contest. As long as you are satisfied with it and it makes you feel good because you accomplished it thats what is important. Sorry if i get preachy but i feel that needed to be said. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Welcome John . I second what`s been said . If you can look at a finished model a week or two later and still be

happy with it that`s all that counts . If there`s anything not quite right , you can improve on your next one .

I made my first wooden model in 1940 , been at it ever since , and have yet to be 100% satisfied with any of them !.

Happy modelling .

Don .

Sounds like my average that does, 1/3 ruined, 1/3 completed and 1/3 on the the old shelf of doom although they usually only stay on the shelf for a few weeks because it grinds on me that they are there at all.

Welcome and if in doubt, ask, everyone here will be happy to help if they feel they can, their wisdom and generosity have pushed a few of my builds off the old shelf.

• Like 1