This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Roy vd M.

Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

3 other comments about this step 14:

1) We may wonder why hard parts, like the magnetos (1K, 2K) and the parts 4, 5, 6 and 7K are made of soft plastic. I had resolved the problem on my personal build to paint them by applying a thin coat of liquid cyano, to get a hard surface, condition to apply a paint. Here, in the lack of any color reference, things are more simple...

2) the screws 02 in the step 6 are much too short to screw on them the nuts 02 (more, with washers!). I have glued the nuts where they are supposed to be... 

3) Precisely, the 3rd comment is about these huge nuts 02, 4 mm (4 x 12 = 36 mm!). On my previous build, I had replaced them by smaller ones...

That said, my step 14 is now over.

xfP5N5.jpgO9e8H5.jpg

CrazyCrank    787

Wow, a terrific fried and burnt "dodecapus"....love it Olivier :):yes:

Edited by CrazyCrank

Roy vd M.    1,759
3 hours ago, southpier said:

why (on the real car) were the magnetos mounted on the dashboard?

They were mechanically connected to the engine (source: engine drawings, see first post) just like an old-fashioned ignition distributor. That way, firing would always go exactly on time.

The best reason I can think of to have those magnetos be positioned as extensions of the internal engine shafts is, the double-6-cylinder design of the engine. With a single block (such as the 1927 Delage) asymmetry could have been used, especially given the available empty space on the right hand side of the engine. But with this Fiat there would be no such space on the left hand side, the left bonnet already practically touching the engine block. 

In my view, therefore, the Fiat 806 designers were left with no other choice but to put the magnetos behind the engine (to put them between block and radiator would not have been opportune cooling-wise).

NickD    726

Southpier - A long time ago I stopped stating things as if they were certain, too often I was wrong, as I probably am now. I just wanted to add to Roy's comment above. Even though the model magnetos are terrible in many ways they do show a knob that is visibile on the magnetos of other cars of the same vintage. These cars also have the magnetos accessible in the cockpit. I assumed (because I am too lazy to prove) that the driver needed to be able to access the mags to tune the engine while it was running. Sounds pretty impractical to me but hey. The other reason this seemed likely to me was that the shafts are very long. If you didn't have to do it they would have been attached to the engine with the shortest shaft possible and no complex shock absorbing mounts. If you are interested there a number of photos of cars with similar arrangements on the internet

Hope that is of interest

Nick

If you decide to build the kit OOB (what we can't definitely recommend... ), you will need a tool to screw the nut 02 at the bottom of 27B. I made this tool from a 4 mm Evergreen tube. As the hole Inside th plastic tube was a bit too small, I enlarged it with a triangular blade. I made an exception on this 27B part, painting it polished alu while there was no color indication in the instructions. More soon...

YweMlJ.jpg