Imperail Roman Army 1/72nd

• 3 weeks later...
Cool :D The shielded things at the ends... are they phalanxes? Or is that another military formation? Either way, this is very cool :D

The shielded things at the ends are "testudos" (tortoises) a roman defensive/ offensive tactic..used when under enemy missile fire, for example when moving up to a fort wall or such. One of them (the blue one) comes as a build in a set, the red one i constructed myself using old figs and shields.

Paul,

Great work on these figures - I love roman history - I should have guessed your interest as well looking at your pictue of a roman cavalry helmet! I only wish you could get hold of some larger figures of romans other than 1:72. As it happens, been painting up a couple of 72 scale late roman republican cavalry in between working on my usual WW1 aircraft models - not as good as yours though!

Should say I have done several of the Miniart 1:16 figures as well.

Epeeman

PS - never mind Spartacus - your legions should watch out for Pompy!

Paul,

Great work on these figures - I love roman history - I should have guessed your interest as well looking at your pictue of a roman cavalry helmet! I only wish you could get hold of some larger figures of romans other than 1:72. As it happens, been painting up a couple of 72 scale late roman republican cavalry in between working on my usual WW1 aircraft models - not as good as yours though!

Should say I have done several of the Miniart 1:16 figures as well.

Epeeman

PS - never mind Spartacus - your legions should watch out for Pompy!

Thanks...you can get 54mm romans...there are a lot of individual figs available...but they are for single basing and expensive...as a set i can recommend these and there are loads and loads of 28mm roman fig makers around.

Thanks, Paul - as it happens I have painted those 32nd scale late republican roman legionaries in the past (I have a few left still). What I really mean is that I find it frustrating that most roman figures are mainly 1:72.

I have recently been looking at a model supplier on line ('Makemodels' or something like it) that have a fair range of 54mm (white metal) romans - will probably order one or two soon.

I have built the Miniart 1:16 Roman (1st century) legionary which, for me, came out reasonably well. As far as I can tell, these are the largest figure scale for romans currently available?

For note, I mainly build WW1 fighter aircraft, but enjoy doing a figure from time to time. I have on order (amougst other things) some Hat 1:72 auxliary imperial cavalry figures. My figures are not quite up to your excellent standard though!

Epeeman

For note, I mainly build WW1 fighter aircraft, but enjoy doing a figure from time to time. I have on order (amougst other things) some Hat 1:72 auxliary imperial cavalry figures. My figures are not quite up to your excellent standard though!

Epeeman

I´m the opposite..I paint and build the WWI planes to have a break from the figs :-D

The Hat Imperial cav are ok...the Strelets sets are better...especially the Praetorians!!! 12 figs and 12 different poses in each set..the style isn´t to everyones taste..they are a bit clumpy looking but for some reason I like em :-D