M3A3 Stuart V - 7th Arm.Div.

darson

OK lads and lasses her's my entry for this build, it's the 1/35 AFV Club M3A3 Stuart V as used by the 7th Armored Div just after the D-Day landings. I'm also using the very nice Hobby Fan British Stuart crew and stowage to give the kit a little of that lived in look. As I'm absolutely crap at painting figures I'd appreciate any help you guys and gals can provide along the way.

Here's the obligatory box & sprue shots

StuartV_2.jpg

StuartV_1.jpg

Here's a shot of the real thing that I'll be be basing my build on

StuartV_Ref.jpg

Cheers

darson: Good choice, the Stuart is a favorite w/me....the kit looks quite comprehensive too...

D Day Cheers,

ggc

darson: Good choice, the Stuart is a favorite w/me....the kit looks quite comprehensive too...

D Day Cheers,

ggc

From first inspection it looks pretty damn good detail wise, about the only thing that's missing that I would have liked is the option for sand shields on the sides. Depending on how energetic I get I might just scratch build a couple of sections as in the photo above.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

All right then, I've made a start on my least favourite part of AFV kits, the running gear. I figure it's best to try and get this over and done with up front while I'm all enthusiastic and keen.

This represents about two hours worth of bench time and mainly due to the fact that I've "distressed" the road wheels to give them that worn look. I used a fine file to take out nicks and gouges followed by a fine sand to take the edge of wear and tear.

Oh and by the way feedback will be gratefully accepted.

StuartV_3.jpg

StuartV_4.jpg

StuartV_5.jpg

Next step is on to the hull.

Thanks guys (& gal) so far so with the hull even though the upper half had a nice old warp in it. Once it's glued to the lower half however the warp should straighten itself out.

As this is my first AFV Club kit I'm taking things slow and careful as I've heard good and bad things about this brand.

Cheers