"Spare Parts" P-51B-5-NA 43-6623, 310th Ferry Squadron, 27th Air Transport Group

Hi All,

welcome to my second build in this STGB. This will be P-51B-5-NA 43-6643 "Spare Parts" of the 310th Ferry Squadron, 27th Air Transport Group. The kit will be ICM's 1/48 P-51B Tamiya clone with added Aires cockpit and wheel well sets, finished with KitsWorld's decal set.

Here's the real thing, courtesy of the American Air Museum in Britain: "Spare Parts" 43-6623 Note that they caption it as a P-51B-15-NA, whereas Joe Baugher's USAF Fighters states it's a P-51B-5-NA, which is what I'm going with! And here is the story behind "Spare Parts". Incidentally, RAF Speke is now Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

More when the kit and bits arrive!

Thanks for looking in,

Mark

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Nice, Mark, I wonder what the story behind the spare parts name is?

I think it was to do with the airframe being rebuilt with parts scavenged from others, but I'll have to see if I can find the "info" that makes me think that!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Nice, Mark, I wonder what the story behind the spare parts name is?

I've added a link in the heading post to the Lancashire Aircraft Investigation Team's history of "Spare Parts" - apparently she consisted of parts from five different Mustangs!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've added a link in the heading post to the Lancashire Aircraft Investigation Team's history of "Spare Parts" - apparently she consisted of parts from five different Mustangs!

Cheers,

Mark

What a great little story. Love this bit: “its most important jobs were training flights to Renfew near Glasgow were, somewhat conveniently, there was a nearby distillery that would supply bottles of Whiskey at wholesale prices.” Important war service indeed!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

What a great little story. Love this bit: “its most important jobs were training flights to Renfew near Glasgow were, somewhat conveniently, there was a nearby distillery that would supply bottles of Whiskey at wholesale prices.” Important war service indeed!

Absolutely - shame there's no evidence of whisky kegs being slung on wing pylons like the RAF Spit IXs transporting beer to Normandy!

• Haha 2

Shame there's no evidence (AFAIK)  of the beer kegs under the Spitfire (Modification XXX) actually being used to transport beer to Normandy, either.  Beer was carried in the cylindrical belly fuel tank - clean ones of course!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Shame there's no evidence (AFAIK)  of the beer kegs under the Spitfire (Modification XXX) actually being used to transport beer to Normandy, either.  Beer was carried in the cylindrical belly fuel tank - clean ones of course!

Ah - I didn't know that - thanks, Graham. What was in the underwing kegs, I wonder? There's definitely a photo in Wing Leader by JEJ of a Spit in flight, captioned "our version of the brewer's dray", or words to that effect.

The kegs were a Supermarine publicity shot - the photos I've seen show an  aircraft without codes.  It would certainly be interesting if they were used (even if only once?)  but the photo(s/) I've seen of Normandy show the fuel tank.  I suspect that the kegs may not have been rugged enough - although in view of the handling they'd receive on a dray that might not be a fair assumption!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, after a little interlude, the kit (and several of its brethren) have arrived, along with Aires' P-51B cockpit and wheelbay sets, and of course the all-important KitsWorld decals. So here at last are some pics.

Box top:

IMG-6270.jpg

Given that this kit is a clone of the Tamiya P-51B/C, the box is a lot smaller! I particularly like the sturdy box-proper - the artwork is on a sleeve-like topper.

Sprues:

IMG-6273.jpg

IMG-6274.jpg

IMG-6276.jpg

IMG-6278.jpg

IMG-6282.jpg

Instructions are limited to two sides of A4. The brevity is, in some ways, quite refreshing! Colour call-outs are on a separate sheet of A4.

IMG-6283.jpg

Aires resin goodies:

IMG-6286.jpg

KitsWorld decals:

IMG-6287.jpg

IMG-6289.jpg

And here's a different kit - a photo of Daisy, just coz!

IMG-6291.jpg

A recent and tenaciously lingering cough/cold/man-flu/thing has kept me away from the bench, but I'm hoping to make a start soon, as well as getting on with "Weaver's Nude".

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

Good morning Mark 

I hope that you feel better now and I am looking forward to see you starting this build 

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Thanks 1

Cute post.   And the cat looks good as well!  :rofl2:    Sorry.  Had to be done.

Sorry that you've been under the weather, but glad for your recovery.  I can sympathise.  Went to Dublin last week for a few days, including meeting up with daughter no. 3 who lives in Limerick.  Got laid low with a very bad cough and missed some of the outings.  Although mostly gone, it still lingers a little.   But that's better than if I'd been near your cutie cat.  Although I like cats I'm highly allergic to them ...... :(

Enjoying the Spare Parts story.

cheers

Rob

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

Cute post.   And the cat looks good as well!  :rofl2:    Sorry.  Had to be done.

Sorry that you've been under the weather, but glad for your recovery.  I can sympathise.  Went to Dublin last week for a few days, including meeting up with daughter no. 3 who lives in Limerick.  Got laid low with a very bad cough and missed some of the outings.  Although mostly gone, it still lingers a little.   But that's better than if I'd been near your cutie cat.  Although I like cats I'm highly allergic to them ...... :(

Enjoying the Spare Parts story.

cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob - sorry to hear you've been "got" as well :( Jane and I had the Easter weekend planned in North Devon but cut it short because we were feeling so grotty. Didn't do any of our "regular" outings.

Shame about your allergy, it must be a bit of a burden sometimes. I wouldn't be without ours, but if you'd have issues with Daisy, you probably wouldn't want to spend much time with Arthur.

I present to you the Rittmeister Count Arthur Freiherr von Flauffenbaum:

IMG-20230531-091215249.jpg

That's a whole lotta floof! :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 17:39, 2996 Victor said:

present to you the Rittmeister Count Arthur Freiherr von Flauffenbaum

He’s almost perfectly camouflaged against your couch too! 🤣

• Haha 2

Been having a closer squint at.the Aires resin/etch cockpit set. Have to say it looks splendid! Lots of nice detail that a bit of careful painting should bring out rather nicely. The pour blocks are quite hefty, though.

I'm thinking an initial blu-tak assembly of the tub to check for fit to the fuselage, which is bound to result in some fettling of both, before finishing and fully assembling the tub.

And in some ways, I'm looking forward to this more than carrying on with the state-of-the-art Eduard 'D'..... :mental:

Thanks for looking in,

Mark 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

And in some ways, I'm looking forward to this more than carrying on with the state-of-the-art Eduard 'D'..... :mental:

I reckon they’d both bring joy, albeit for different reasons?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

I reckon they’d both bring joy, albeit for different reasons?

Definitely - the Eduard kit is a stunning kit, the ICM a little less so!

• Like 1