Buck Rogers star or thunder fighter!

I have been looking to bag one of these bad boys for ages in a 1/72-1/48 scale and all i can find are greedy sellers of the Monogram kit at £300-£400 mark online or 3d printed ones for sale which are either very small or not accurate enough, not to mention also getting into silly territory price wise too!

I don't own or have access to a 3d printer so cant download any of the many files that are out there for it!

any suggestions on this at all would be appreciated very much!

• Like 1

@Jedi Delio Oh wow, there's a memory :) I'd completely forgotten about Buck Rogers! I had a little Corgi version of the fighter when I was a kid :) I'd love to get my hands on a decent model as well, if you manage to find a good supplier, let us know!

On 25/03/2024 at 00:56, CT7567 said:

OOP quite a while but the resin kit from Fantastic Plastic may be easier to find for less crazy money than the OG Monogram.

https://modelermagic.com/kit-alert-172-earth-defense-directorate-thunderfighter-from-fantastic-plastic/

Ooooooo, hadnt thought of these guys and now having had a look, i have to say most impressive! Payday will bring an order on me thinks tho cant let the mrs know as im in the doghouse as it is having just increased my unbuilt stash to 48 kits with a Revell 1/72 Jas39A Gripen!

On 24/03/2024 at 10:52, SteveR said:

@Jedi Delio Oh wow, there's a memory :) I'd completely forgotten about Buck Rogers! I had a little Corgi version of the fighter when I was a kid :) I'd love to get my hands on a decent model as well, if you manage to find a good supplier, let us know!

I think CT7567 has got this puppy covered with his link to plastic fantastic as the way forward here! 
I also had a corgi one with the no stab front on it too! having spent a fair bit of time on the look out, this at the mo seems to be the best option of actually getting my hands on one, unless of course you have the ability to 3d print or scratch build one!

• Thanks 1

Whilst unrelated to Buck Rogers, i am also on the hunt for Blakes 7 Liberator. Have found 3d printed and resin ones at a decent price on the interweb but not b4 ive bagged my Thunder Fighter first!

Sorry if I got anyone overly excited, but the resin kit in 1:72 from Fantastic Plastic linked above is currently sold out.  I would suggest contacting them directly about a potential re-release, as I'm sure there is significant interest.

I'm pretty sure that there's a highly-detailed 3D printed kit out there somewhere.  Have a search of the forum, as I think it was discussed once-upon-a-time. :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm pretty sure that there's a highly-detailed 3D printed kit out there somewhere.

This one, perchance?

Cheers,

Andre

4 minutes ago, Hook said:

This one, perchance?

Could be, but I think there was another one. :hmmm:  I don't seem to remember the resin being translucent though. I might be wrong though :shrug:

• Like 1

Don't discount the availability of paper model kits, like that hosted on http://www.paperaviation.de/index.html.

I have built this model and it was challenging but the end result was very nice.  Having some experience working with paper helps, but being that the raw material is rather cheap, it is possible to make several 'runs' at the parts as one's experience grows.

I'd provide an image of my model unfortunately, it is in a display case at the local hobby shop at this time.  It is quite detailed however and there are even detailing 'sets' for it for a cockpit, etc.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards, Robert

• Like 1

There are some pix from another's build of the Martin Sanger kit... on Zealot.com.  For some reason, the URL will not post here, but a search for 'papermodel thunderfighter buck rogers' should provide the listing.  "Revell-Fan" is the modeler who made the posting...or you can perform some manual editing of the URL string using the below:

https: / / www.zealot.com/threads/buck-rogers-thunderfighter.168714/

Cheers!

R/ Robert

Makes me grateful that while I’ve let most of the ‘stash’ go (not much of a ‘stash’ now) I’ve managed to hang on to my Buck Rogers kits (Monogram Thunderfighter and Marauder) and Blake’s 7 Liberator. Once I’ve figured my current Space 1999 Eagle build I’ll be having a crack at them. 

• Like 2