Recommends for model vice/multi purpose holder

Muchmirth

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a recommend for a model holder to keep a model in place whilst painting or decaling or just adding tiny bits? I do mainly tanks and figures, mostly in 1/35 plus the odd aircraft. I find  it annoying that I flip a plane over and drag it’s prop on the surface I’m working on to decal the underside. Also it’d save the hassle of pinning every single figure I paint. Or holding it steadily whilst adding grab handles to a turret. I’ve seen a cheapy universal one on eBay and not sure if they are worth it? Equally don’t mind shelling out for a more expensive one as long as it does the job. 
   Thanks for any advice in advance.

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
Typos

One type won't do all

I use this type for figures. The handle comes off and it can be screwed on to a table-top stand

universal-work-holder-grip.jpg?fit=1024,

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

One type won't do all

I use this type for figures. The handle comes off and it can be screwed on to a table-top stand

Ok that was also something I was wondering about, weather one did all. Thanks for the recommend.

You can get the same vice mounted on a good stand.

Just search the internet for "Universal work holders".

I use them for most models, I put plastic pipe over the pins for a bit of softening and for things that won't fit direct I double sided tape/elastic band/pipe cleaner/cable tie etc to a block of wood and hold that in the vice. Excellent piece of kit and worth every penny.

• Thanks 1

I also have a wooden stand for aeroplanes

Their availability is sometimes good, sometime hard

Like this one; (but mine will take biplanes)

eb801_210712_60ecb4dbd4bce.jpg?v=1626125

They are being 3D printed now. 

Are they worth the money? if not too much. 

If you have a 3D printer you can buy the files for under a fiver

One of the best stands for aeroplanes and cars is made of Lego, or similar bricks

You can buy a box of 300 Lego type bricks for under a tenner and you can fashion any shape of stand you want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

One type won't do all

For stable work, such as filing or heavy work the handle comes off and mine has a square base allowing it to be mounted in a bench vice, which comes in quite handy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this vise that I bought at a hardware store years ago. I removed the metal faces and replaced them with sone thick rubber gasket material.

Vise

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1