I don't believe it! Why oh why? If you want something doing... [formely titled - "Ignore this post."]

I recently unearthed a half finished Hasegawa Corolla Portugal Rally kit, Castrol scheme, and found that some of the decals have cracked along the body contours, mainly the red and green flashes. I found Le Mans Decals do several replacement schemes and was wondering what people's experiences have been with ordering directly from their website and what that the quality and application of their decals is like. 

Thanks.

EDIT: I should have done a search before posting. I Have had a browse and found another forum post with the same request. Replies suggest they are of good quality so I will go ahead and order the sheet I need.

UPDATE: I went ahead and ordered  the decals as per LeMans Decals ad on eBay. It's difficult to clearly see the detail but given the breadth of items they produce I was hoping for good results.

spacer.png

The decals arrived, in the meantime I had scoured the internet of truth for on-event images and a good selection was sourced giving views all round and also this VIDEO  is available. Here is the decal sheet.

spacer.png

Given the available references I can't fathom why there are so many errors for the MoviStar logos on this sheet. The No.5's to the rear side windows are missing. And even the 'Network Q' font style on the number boards is not correct. I messaged the seller about placement instructions, thinking they may have been forgotten to be included, and I have yet to receive a response.

So I've used the references I found to draw up the incorrect and missing items. I just hope the useable decals go onto the kit without issue. This is the first and last sheet I will be getting from LeMans Decals.

Edited by mbdesignart
new info added
  • Like 3

• mbdesignart changed the title to I don't believe it! Why oh why? If you want something doing... [formely titled - "Ignore this post."]

I have ordered from LeMans decals in the past. Like you I found the accuracy sadly missing. As you say, incorrect typefaces for logos and inaccurate sizing. 

However, I find that many of the companies advertising 'replacement' or 'variation' decals (I can only speak for automotive) are inaccurate. Perhaps I am too critical but if I'm attempting to produce a particular vehicle for a specific race series, or even event, I want it to be museum quality. I've taken to producing my own - but that's a whole other minefield!

I have messaged LeMans decals highlighting the issues with their sheet. It will be interesting to read their reply when/if any is forthcoming. I did ask why there were no decal placement instructions and was told to look for photos, a cheap cop-out in my opinion. Pity they don't appear to follow their own advice. I have also come across a Facebook group who try to assist in identifying motorsport decals, as does this forum, so there is help out there.

• Like 2

I’m sure Shunko decals make these,they might not be from the same rally though. I got some Le Mans decals recently for D Type Jaguars and had to buy duplicates as they are so thin the white roundels needed doubling up! Not so bad as they are not expensive decals luckily. Chris.

Shunko are pretty good but again, and I know it's a bit anal, but for me there are still inaccuracies:

spacer.png

spacer.pngIt's that numeral - just not chunky (bold) enough...

It seems to me that many of the decal producers get their references from 'historic' meets - Goodwood is a fabulous event where there are great photo opportunities and the ability to get really up close with the subject. However some life size decals applied to these present day examples are also inaccurate and cannot be relied on if you are trying to produce a realistic example of the car from the period when it actually raced.

The first four words of this thread title reminded me of Victor Meldrew the principal character's catch phrase from the TV sitcom One Foot In The Grave!I

Getting back to the subject, it sounds as though after market decals are a bit of a minefield. Sounds as though some makers cannot take criticism very well.