Martin PBM-5A Mariner

I have just picked up the Academy PBY-5A Mariner and fancy doing it as a Dark Sea Blue Dutch Navy example. Most of the Dutch aircraft were finished in overall silver but at least two were delivered in the blue scheme. The problem is that I can only find two pictures on line of the blue Mariners in Dutch colours. Is there any kind soul out there in BM Land that can help with a bit more info on these aircraft?

Hopeful of Mars 👽

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

I have a book about them. What do you want to know?

The blue ones were P-315 and P-316 (later renumbered to 110).

Thanks Pete, I have the Naval Fighters book on the type and the Dutch Decal sheet / I have two pictures of blue Dutch Mariners dangling from a crane but that is a. A few more general shots of them in the blue scheme is all I really need to get started.

Martian 👽

17 minutes ago, Martian said:

all I really need to get started.

I think I have a monograph on Dutch Mariners but you need more than that to build an accurate model of any Mariner from the Minicraft kit.

Our upgrade re-issue is in progress

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I think I have a monograph on Dutch Mariners but you need more than that to build an accurate model of any Mariner from the Minicraft kit.

Our upgrade re-issue is in progress

Thanks Ed. I really just want to do an approximation of a Dutch Mariner rather than a really involved build as a bit of relaxation from the Zeppelin project that has so far taken up two and a half years of my modelling time. Any pictures you do have of the blue Dutch cabs would be of great help. Mind you, it sounds as if the book you have should be on my bookshelves as I am very interested in post war Dutch naval aviation.

Martian 👽

It's this one. I am still looking!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364681526801

I did find the Buffalo book so must be getting closer!

Edit

I found it. The most Dutch thing about it is the author. As far as i can se it has one picture of a Dutch one nand that one is not blue. There is a profile but no picture in the Warpaint book.

For "a bit of relaxation" I would choose something else! 🙃

Edit 2 - These look more promising

https://www.scalemates.com/books/martin-pbm-5a-mariner-kees-leebeek--117527

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hier-Fak-Mariner-meld-vliegboot/dp/9086162029

but I don't have them.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Michou said:

He has indeed, I think the silver option may have to be plan B and perhaps do a second kit as a US Navy boat. It's typical Martian. I always fall for the most awkward subjects.

Martian 👽