Marcher la planche! Adl'A Recce Thunderjet - F-84G ER2/33 Savoie 1955

My record in group builds is frankly appalling but I'm hoping I can find the enthusiasm and most importantly the time to make a 2nd contribution to this GB.

I couldn't not do a French jet, as my in-progress Streak is an Adl'A jet and my 'Streak for the GB is a Belgian jet, I decided I'd do a plank wing F-84G as a French jet, marcher la planche = walk the plank.

When Modelzone were in trouble they were selling a lot of stock off cheaply, I came away with half a dozen Academy F-84E/Gs at £4.99 a pop!  This is one of those kits, I'll be doing it in the markings of ER2/33, a reconnaissance unit based at Cognac, deep in the Charente department of France in 1955, the decals are courtesy of Model Art.  The wingtip fuel tanks feature a stylised seagull, the historical markings of SAL6, the unit continues as a reconnaissance unit to this day, equipped with the MQ-9 Reaper.

The subject aircraft can be seen here, if you look closely, you can see a camera fairing on the belly of the aircraft beneath the cockpit, hopefully, somebody can help out with the details of this (Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 what do you know)?

Here'e the box...

STGB Academy F-84G Box

...the contents...

STGB Academy 1-72 F-84G

...and the decals.

STGB Model Art F-84G

I like the Academy kit, it's not a shake and bake kit, it needs some effort especially around the inserts on the fuselage where the panels depicting an E/very early G (no auxiliary intakes), or standard G (auxiliary intakes), also, it does have some sink marks (notably on the wing upper surfaces above the wheel well walls), but I'm happier dealing with that than I am mucking up a Tamiya kit at several times the cost (I can already hear you asking "Who can muck up a Tamiya kit", "Well!!!..." I reply and passing my drink to somebody to hold while I demonstrate that I am that man).

I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew time wise!

• Like 6

Good evening Wez

I do not have my documentation on the French F 84 at hand since this gb only starts next weekend but as soon as I have time I’m doing some research kin my books  and I keep you informed ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

somebody can help out with the details of this

Hey, this isBritModeller - I can do you one better!  ;) 

On my Dutch recce Thunderjet I'll use the ModelArt resin conversion - this includes the belly fairing but ours did not use it, only the T-33 style tip tank. I gave some vague thoughts to using the belly fairing on a A d'l A bird somewehere in the future, perhaps, but let's face it - most likely I'll never use it.

Just say the word - if you want it, it's yours!

Cheers,

Andre 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hook said:

Hey, this isBritModeller - I can do you one better!  ;) 

On my Dutch recce Thunderjet I'll use the ModelArt resin conversion - this includes the belly fairing but ours did not use it, only the T-33 style tip tank. I gave some vague thoughts to using the belly fairing on a A d'l A bird somewehere in the future, perhaps, but let's face it - most likely I'll never use it.

Just say the word - if you want it, it's yours!

Cheers,

Andre 

Andre,

That's typical of my timing, I've just e-mailed Jean-Pierre at Model Art about this set, I'll see what he comes back with.  Thanks very much for the offer.

• Thanks 1

Right change of plan, yesterday when I was out and about I picked up a 1/72nd Tamiya F-84G in a chassa (charity shop), for a mere £1.50.  The kit decals are shot (looks like they got damp at some point), but that's no problem.  There's no instructions either but I made this kit before when it came out so I have the instructions from that build so that's not a problem either.

I hadn't made much progress with the Academy kit so I'm going to promote this chassa refugee to it's place in the sun instead.

20240309_145836

I must say, the timing was impeccable, I've actually got some time to do some modelling this weekend!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Wez said:

I picked up a 1/72nd Tamiya F-84G in a chassa (charity shop), for a mere £1.50. 

It would be rude not to.

Cheers,

Andre