Sorry - Only a NOVO Spitfire XIV and V1.

Olmec Head

I got this kit from the Newark and Lincs show back in the Autumn for £6.

53466563920_3a225749b3_z.jpg

As you can see it was original only 99p, but bearing mind inflation, I probably paid about the same!

I think my father built the original back in the 1970s.  I remember the V1.

The kit is 'pristine' (if a bit cloudy bagged and unopened:

53466564415_61286748ec_w.jpg

The now opened bag:

53466279533_b603576123_w.jpg

53466279663_216990e718_w.jpg

It will have to AP-D, which I think is an e wing, which is what the kit has.

I have had a look a @AdrianMF 's build  a year or so ago for some ideas and inspiration. - definitely a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  

After my disastrous Christmas Blitz build hopefully this should go better.

Edited by Olmec Head
Photos resized
  • Like 8

A very popular choice and I’m sure a kit that sold by the thousands when first released. Hopefully those Novo decals will work, however theres bound to be plenty of original Frog decals laying about in peoples decal banks. I never tire of seeing these kits built up and it’s almost criminal not to use the unique stand that helps display both Spit and V1 in flying pose. Frog’s marketing people got this one so right in so many ways. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

I have to agree with Dave the display kit really enhances both models when put together.

The decals in your photo look really fractured already so IMHO look unlikely to be save-able. 

Fingers crossed someone will have a usable set for you.

Good luck

Cheers Pat 

On 16/01/2024 at 11:45, JOCKNEY said:

I have to agree with Dave the display kit really enhances both models when put together.

The decals in your photo look really fractured already so IMHO look unlikely to be save-able. 

Fingers crossed someone will have a usable set for you.

Good luck

Cheers Pat 

On 15/01/2024 at 20:55, Rabbit Leader said:

A very popular choice and I’m sure a kit that sold by the thousands when first released. Hopefully those Novo decals will work, however theres bound to be plenty of original Frog decals laying about in peoples decal banks. I never tire of seeing these kits built up and it’s almost criminal not to use the unique stand that helps display both Spit and V1 in flying pose. Frog’s marketing people got this one so right in so many ways. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

The decals aren't very useable, but I have quite a lot of spare decals and squadron codes.  The canopy 'blobs' are worse!

Yes it has to be done with the stand, that is a given, that said, it means finding a better cockpit that fits and a pilot figure.  Plus not having to scratch build a cockpit.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress moves forward (as it would of course)

I had sort of forgotten about this kit.  @Galligraphics has made an excellent job of updating and adapting the kit in his build for this GB.  I tried to do the same, but mine is a bit more ‘cut and shunt’. 

I found an old Airfix PR19 lower wing and used that to get the gullwing effect.  This became a bit of a bodge.  I then followed up and used an old resin nose from a Freightdog model and a spare tail from the same kit.

The ailerons were spares from an Eduard MkIX.  It all took a lot of sanding with lashings of plastic putty and filler.  The result was eventually passable -just.   The radiators and air intake were from an Xtrakit Mk22 that I found cheap at the excellent Hinckley show.

53662685451_7107921ee2.jpg

53662685221_f4e394eb02.jpg

IMG_3928

I then used Tamiya Sky to do another quick base coat.  It now looks like the original Spitfire prototype! 

53663146110_d9de084d65.jpg

Hopefully the next steps will be to start painting the sow's ear - I see this as a 'concept piece' rather than 100% accurate (thats my story and I am sticking to it) .  Fg Off Binky Binks is on the right and preparing to strap in.  I haven't thought yet about the V1 'elongation'.

• Like 7

That's looking good, O.H. :thumbsup:.

Thank you for your kind words about my build. I am reminded that we only have a month and a half left and my effort has been sitting rather neglected for a couple of weeks.. :blush:

Cheers,

Nige

On 20/04/2024 at 09:57, AdrianMF said:

It's a veritable Frankenspit! But all the parts have been blended together nicely. Looking forward to the paint.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, it is the first Franken Spit that I have tried to make, and it now has paint on it!

• Like 2

Further Progress...

I masked off the various colours and sprayed my usual Tamiya paints for standard RAF DFS.  (I am also making a 1/72 Revell Spitfire IIa alongside to lengthen the airbrush time - I hate cleaning a brush after 2-3 miutes usage).  After a a couple of day for drying and masking:

53674230309_f791003224.jpg

The guns and Tail will go on later as they will only break off as I wrestle with fitting the canopy.

53674230104_4183b1ae6b_w.jpg

The paint peeled from the radiators and intake, which was strange, probably not properly washed and prepared.

I'll respray them  later.

53674327335_5809f5e7c8_w.jpg

And masked of for the walkway lines and the invasion stripes below the fuselage only.  I'ts a later August aircraft.

53674327250_048c67fd30.jpg

I am not sure about AP-D as the original Frog Kit, the Novo markings are unusable and I am doing an E wing and possibly / probably AP-D was a C wing.

So I may do this (from the Osprey Griffon Aces book):

IMG_3944

Not no.7 which I understand is made up, but No.8 from 350 Squadron.  Fg Off Binky Binks is now promoted to Sqn Ldr and will be a Belgic.  

I also only have limited sky codes which just about cover this aircraft.  

• Like 8