1/72 PBY-5A Catalina 'Black Cat', VPB-71, 1944. Finished 08/03.

DaveJL

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think the black was applied onto the original colours, not onto bare metal, and I believe the control surfaces are fabric covered.

Thanks Craig, will be able to mix up the weathering a little if the original colours are there too!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Craig, will be able to mix up the weathering a little if the original colours are there too!

On the pictures I have seen where there is weathering you can see some of the original colours, especially the national markings.

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

On the pictures I have seen where there is weathering you can see some of the original colours, especially the national markings.

A bit of blue here and there along with some aluminium etc would make it nice and worn looking. Will see what I can come up with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

I don't know about the way they were painted, but the control surfaces are fabric covered

James

Thanks James, will be able to weather those areas slightly differently.

Good progress over the last couple of days. The wings were assembled, cowlings (although wrong I'm led to believe) added and exhausts fitted. I'm quite surprised at the wingspan, even in 1/72!

53530342142_01936abe54_b.jpg

53531669445_6159b02d50_b.jpg

53531428253_8b484a5be4_b.jpg

The retracted floats fit very well, as do the outer wing sections to the main piece. The cowlings were a bit iffy, needing a little bead of PPP just to tidy them up. That was then set aside and the fuselage closed up. I had added the fuselage blisters prior. Again, a pretty good fit, the only exceptions being around the ventral gun door and just aft of the front turret, nothing a little spue goo won't fix.

53530342327_dd7c0d8af2_b.jpg

53531237886_c5a3437132_b.jpg

53531669470_1a8413938b_b.jpg

Starting to look like something! And that goodness for Eduard masks :lol:

Bombs also built up - a bit fiddly for my ham fists with a thick seam line needing tidied up.

53531555399_e9e9904863_b.jpg

Finally, I've been looking at various images, well from the few that I can find, of 'Black Cats' and PBY-5As in general. Could anyone advise if part A21 highlighted below is in the correct place? I've seen images of a probe/mast on top of the tail, from which some wire/cable is leading to each wing and somewhere(?) on the centre section of the wing, or possibly on top of the cockpit? From watching the video posted at the start of the thread and linked by Craig above, some shots show a mast on top of the tail and between the blisters, other images show the latter missing. Just trying to get an idea of where to place my EZ line when the time comes :lol:.

53531267636_7b30d5375a_b.jpg

Again, I can't get a definitive answer from the Squadron reference book. Lots of questions, I know but I've no clue about PBYs 🙃Oh well, one more won't hurt ... does anyone know where I could get a 1/72 Torpedo that would be suitable for this build? The video shows two bombs starboard and a 'tin fish' on the port wing. Looks very cool!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 12

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/72 PBY-5A Catalina 'Black Cat', VP-11, 1943. Update 15/02.

Thats very nice work Dave, and yes she's a big bugger even in 1/72 isn't she. 

Can't help with the position of the aerial mast I'm afraid, one of the things about these is that there were so many variations in the gear carried by them there isn't any hard and fast rule.

29 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looks like it could do with a few more engines!

That would spoil the good looks!

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Thats very nice work Dave, and yes she's a big bugger even in 1/72 isn't she. 

Can't help with the position of the aerial mast I'm afraid, one of the things about these is that there were so many variations in the gear carried by them there isn't any hard and fast rule.

Cheers Craig! Think you're right, looks like more of a minefield than the FAA Corsair :lol:

• Like 3

Just now, modelling minion said:

Nothing like a nice simple bit of research is there! Often creates more questions than you started out with.

I can't help myself :lol:. I've since bought 3 books just for this build!

• Haha 2

That's coming along nicely, Dave, and I'm taking notes for when I build mine. Catalina's are big aircraft, they have a wider wingspan than a Lancaster and are less than 6ft shorter than the Lanc too

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

3 very good reasons for build more Catalinas! ;) 

You're not wrong! Would like to a Coastal Command example and maybe an RAAF one too. I've noted Wolfpack did some nice boxings but rather hard to get now it seems!

55 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's coming along nicely, Dave, and I'm taking notes for when I build mine. Catalina's are big aircraft, they have a wider wingspan than a Lancaster and are less than 6ft shorter than the Lanc too

James

I didn't actually think of comparing it with one of the Lancs I have!

6 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Great project, Dave!

Thanks Alex!

• Like 1

A little more done. Firstly, a set of Brassin Torpedos arrived:

53541644121_b869e7318f_b.jpg

Builds up relatively well, just a bead of PPP round the join.

53542071925_963bfda7c3_b.jpg

53541643846_94e41b25d1_b.jpg

I'm not au fait with the rear fin layout of particular versions of Torpedos so I just went with the 'ring' around the fins. I then had to throw together some sort of pylon to hang it. Found a couple of 1/48 bomb shackles in the spares box which fit very nicely:

53541825368_c2e85b5bba_b.jpg

Excuse the roughness of the surface, black plastic isn't my favourite :lol:. Fuselage next and the seam lines mentioned earlier in the thread were a bit trickier to tidy up that I'd first hoped - some detail has been lost but I think under a heavily weathered black surface, it won't be overly noticeable. Cockpit and masking also added.

53541825313_9a7563b344_b.jpg

53541825363_fe1a2789c3_b.jpg

My plan, perhaps unconventionally and one which may make the purists gasp, is to add the main undercarriage then the wings for ease of painting. I'll be going with black U/C - think it's a bit of creative licence here as I've seen images of what looks like white, green and black undercarriage. Take your pick!

On another note, it looks like VP, later VPB-11, used PBY-5s as opposed to 5As:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/was-catalina-30-a-pby-5-or-a-pby-5a.51503/

Spanner in the works. There is a decal set from Printscale that has a 5A Black Cat included. It's a bit pricey though so I'll need to decide what to do - keep to the original plan, knowing it's inaccurate, or splash a score on a decal sheet for a bit of nose art :lol:

Finally, I make a bit of a foul up in that I've binned some plastic which had the the hubs of the props on it. So I've props but no hubs. Great. Luckily Quickboost do a set of resin props so I'll need to order those up.

Hoping to get the main undercarriage and wings fitted at the weekend.

Dave

• Like 11

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/72 PBY-5A Catalina 'Black Cat', VP-11, 1943. Update 20/02.
1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thats nice work Dave, the torpedos look very nice and the bomb shackles will do the job very nicely.

Bummer about binning the prop hubs, good job you can get replacements.

Have you seen these decals mate?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW172149?result-token=O3URg

Cheaper than the Print Scale ones.

Cheers Craig!

Careless on my part, but replacements are only a fiver so can't complain too much. Those are the decals I have, looks like a 5A on the schemes, but research suggests that it is a 5. 

• Like 1

That's very nicely done on the torpedo and the shackles for it :) I can confirm the QB props are well worth the money, I picked up a set to go with my Wolfpack boxing and they're far superior to the kit parts

James

10 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That's very nicely done on the torpedo and the shackles for it :) I can confirm the QB props are well worth the money, I picked up a set to go with my Wolfpack boxing and they're far superior to the kit parts

James

Thanks James, good to know! Just found Quickboost do replacement cowlings too. I’ll know that for next time!

19 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

It’s a sign of a good build when I read through the thread and think “I’d like to build one of those”! 🤔🤣

Glad it is so! If you pick up a get, I may end up with some extra decals that you can have :lol:

• Haha 1

More done and we're ready for priming. Wings were added without too much hassle.

53551848029_7aeef6c316_b.jpg

53551709238_5a08586b9b_b.jpg

53551956165_b1975f62af_b.jpg

I've spent a bit of time looking at the wire set up. I settled on the need to add an antenna on the wing, beside the DF loop and I threw on a small bit of scrap etch on the fuselage, which is where the wire will end up.

53551955980_3c34850b49_b.jpg

Engines masked up and then the clear parts given a squirt of interior green.

53551848279_1ae6e20bab_b.jpg

Hope to get the primer on tomorrow and then start spraying the base layers in preparation for black paint. Plan to use the 'hairspray method' for the paint weathering.

More soon

Dave

• Like 14

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/72 PBY-5A Catalina 'Black Cat', VP-11, 1943. Update 25/02.
30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

She's gone together very nicely Dave.

Cheers Craig. Fit of the fuselage took a bit of work and sanding, lost a bit of detail but other than that there's been no issues!

• Like 1