Fujimi Porsche 356 1500GS

PatW

Nearly done, a few decals should finish it after cleaning up around window seals!

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks galaxyg. I buy Ikea Billy Bookcases and the glass door that goes with them, A sheet of perspex from B&Q to cut extra shelves and put them in my workspace a log cabin in the garden.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

That was the first of four in the cabin. I'm now 15 years later running out of space. The cabin includes shelving and a spray booth, with a large desk and chair. My home from home!

• Like 6

Yes Marco F. After having the kit building on the dining room table for some years, glue/paint etc. My wife (now of 55 years) said we had family coming for Christmas Dinner (Oh no!). So put out a few tenders for an extension on the back of the garage, just one room. All of the tenders came in at around £40,000! So we went to a cabin kit maker about 30 miles away, ordered this one and it was delivered about 4 weeks later, time to get a deck built! I checked all of the bits were there, including insulation, double glazing Etc. After dinner about 7PM my wife and I got to it and were up to the roof by sunset, around 9.30pm. Covered it in two large tarpaulin sheets, awaiting the rain to stop, over two weeks and added the roof insulation and black tar shingles. A friend did the electrics and that was 15-16 years ago! So with trees cut down to give back space, a new garden fence, deck and cabin all around £4,000, some savings.

• Like 5

Thanks guys yes the cabin is the answer. We are moving house in 2024 from our large split level two story 4 bed detached house to (hopefully) a two bed bungalow, less heating/maintenance costs. Although big shed in back garden may have to build another cabin! 

Update, the kit decals fell apart so used decal stash for number plates and tyres, tyres first..

photo3-vi.jpg

• Like 6

So... the next question, should I add my home-made roof box? With appropriate legs of course!

photo3-vi.jpg

Feel free to ignore me, but I'm going to say no to the roof box. Firstly, it reminds me of the James May motorhome conversion of the Lotus from Top Gear. Secondly, I can't imagine that there's a way for a roof box on the real thing. If you're determined to add extra luggage, how about a box about half the size fitted to the rear luggage rack?

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Feel free to ignore me, but I'm going to say no to the roof box. Firstly, it reminds me of the James May motorhome conversion of the Lotus from Top Gear. Secondly, I can't imagine that there's a way for a roof box on the real thing. If you're determined to add extra luggage, how about a box about half the size fitted to the rear luggage rack?

Well Spiny it's just what I thought out in the cabin this morning! I was looking at some coffee sticks and will no doubt look in my parts boxes (I've about five or six) for a suitable small box shape to make it look like a picnic hamper! Although I did see a black and white camo Lambo recently that had a rack on the back with a long roof box, half on the roof and the rear half on the rack! 

• Like 2