1/72 - Douglas DB-7 Boston by FRROM & Special Hobby - box art+3D renders - release in 2024

Homebee

Timely companion release that has some nice pics of early DB-7s 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/books/douglas-boston--havoc-in-raf-service-north-west-europe-wingleader-9781908757418-199835.html

wingleader-9781908757418-douglas-boston-

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

I suppose it in part will depend on the condition of the existing moulds.

They've held up pretty well actually, considering it's a 2007 designed tooling. It has been updated with extra parts over the years but there's very little difference in quality between a 2011 (turbinlite) release and the 2020 DB-7C or 2023 A-20G release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Timely companion release that has some nice pics of early DB-7s 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/books/douglas-boston--havoc-in-raf-service-north-west-europe-wingleader-9781908757418-199835.html

wingleader-9781908757418-douglas-boston-

They've held up pretty well actually, considering it's a 2007 designed tooling. It has been updated with extra parts over the years but there's very little difference in quality between a 2011 (turbinlite) release and the 2020 DB-7C or 2023 A-20G release.

It was always a very good kit. Seemed to me that it marked a turning point for MPM/SH in terms of quality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

FR0052 DB-7: we have received the tests shots for the plastic parts (4 different sprues), we will show them in coming events (Cesson-Rennes, Bron-Lyon). Only the clear parts are missing - we are working on them.

First test sprue pictures

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2024/03/dalsi-prispevek-k-db-7-172-otestovali.html

IMG-5501.jpg

IMG-5502.jpg

IMG-5503.jpg

IMG-5504.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

They still have the props attached in such a way that they are almost impossible to remove without losing detail. Also,  I think I remember that the wheels/tyres need to smaller as well.

This appear to be a completely standard mean of attaching the propellers, so I don't understand your problem,   I would use a small shape knife or small clippers.

I suspect they already know about the tyres, do you have evidence that they don't?  The point was brought up earlier.

• Like 4

Glad to see work on this is progressing, it's a subject I've been waiting for a long time. Mine will be a French aircraft, IMHO that camoouflage suits nicely the lines of the early DB-7s

On 3/6/2024 at 9:27 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Special Hobby: In terms of cutting moulds, the DB-7 is virtually finished, only the mould with the transparent parts remains to be done.

A bit strange to me, since I think all clear parts were already in different Bostons by SH, even the early nose canopy with rectangle side windows (not triangles)  and less sloped main windscreen as well... 

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Boston-Mk.III-Intruder.html#gallery_start

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/A-20B-C-Boston-with-UTK-1-Turret.html#gallery_start

Regards

J-W

Actually not. A few years ago I made a DB-7 from an early stepped nose A-20 and parts from the Hi Planes DB-7 ( engines, nacelles, fin, etc ).

imagine my surprise when I went to mask the nose transparency , using some plans and found that the early A-20 stepped nose glazing and the BB-7 glazing were not the same. All ended well but I had to sand all the framing off the A-20 nose, Polish and and then mask a proper BB-7 glazing. Fortunately the overall BB-7 glazed areas were slightly smaller than that of the early A-20. Otherwise disaster.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Actually not. A few years ago I made a DB-7 from an early stepped nose A-20 and parts from the Hi Planes DB-7 ( engines, nacelles, fin, etc ).

imagine my surprise when I went to mask the nose transparency , using some plans and found that the early A-20 stepped nose glazing and the BB-7 glazing were not the same. All ended well but I had to sand all the framing off the A-20 nose, Polish and and then mask a proper BB-7 glazing. Fortunately the overall BB-7 glazed areas were slightly smaller than that of the early A-20. Otherwise disaster.

Many thanks for clarification. This was also my idea (to use this nose canopy) when I was going to made a conversion to DB7. However I did not noticed the difference,... Fortunately some years ago I postpone this work and now early DB7 comes to us!